Author Topic: Pietta Millenium Matte finish an issue?  (Read 7835 times)

Offline phoenix1151

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta Millenium Matte finish an issue?
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »
I saw an unanswered question elsewhere that asked whether the matte finish on a Pietta 1873 revolver would be an issue in sanctioned cowboy action events.  Does anyone have a definitive answer?  I can't see why a "finish" should have any bearing as long as the revolver itself is appropriate.  I just ordered a pair of Pietta 1873 Millenium model in .357 magnum and would like to make sure myself.  :o

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
Re: Pietta Millenium Matte finish an issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
The matte finish is just fine for SASS.  I am not sure about NCOWS.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
The matte finish is just fine for SASS.  I am not sure about NCOWS.

A matte finish can be aged without a lot of trouble to pass the muster for NCOWS. When done looks better than the Matte finish IMO.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:12 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
To clarify....

NCOWS Rules and Regulations

No matt-finished or brushed-finish stainless steel firearms are allowed except as specifically exempted in these Rules and Regulations, e.g. only those stainless steel firearms whose finish resembles an original nickel-plated finish.

No modern commemorative firearms shall be allowed

Projectiles shall be cast lead or lead alloy. No metal-jacketed projectiles shall be permitted. Muzzleloaders shall use round ball or elongated projectiles if such were original to the firearm.

Muzzleloading percussion firearms shall be original to the period or authentic reproductions.

Cartridge firearms shall be original to the period or authentic reproductions of original makes and models. “Short-stroke” modifications to lever-action firearms are not allowed.

Sights for all firearms shall be of original design or configuration.

Approved calibers and loads include any that were introduced prior to or during the period of 1865-1899 and that were originally introduced as a black powder load. Common examples include but are not limited to: .22 rimfire, .32-20 WCF, .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .38-40 WCF, .44-40 WCF, .44 S&W American, .44 S&W Russian, .45 Long Colt, .45 S&W, .45-70 Government. Any cartridge designation that was not originally introduced as a black powder load will not be allowed except for appropriate firearms in the smokeless cartridge division only, or for specifically-designated shooting events. .38 Special/.357 Magnum and .44 Special/.44 Magnum cartridges will be allowed if loaded with black powder or with smokeless powder to black powder velocities.

.22 caliber hand guns for main stages are to be pocket pistol/derringers only. .22 revolvers and rifles are restricted in use for specialty shoots only.

Single-Shot cartridge rifles shall weigh no more than twenty (20) pounds for official NCOWS competition.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
As stated - SASS no problem

For NCOWS a simple solution - 30 minute soak in vinegar - wipe off finish - polish and done.  Or you can put on a acceptable finish. All three of these came with the mat finish.  The third one has since been redone also.

When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline phoenix1151

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm from Canada and don't know or care about NCOWS (seems to be USA only).  At least SASS qualification has been clarified for me.  Thanks again.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
And there you have it ... SASS it is and will suit you

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
In those NCOWS rules,  you can read it that the terms matt finished and brush finished both refer to stainless guns.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
I'm not sure what you're saying  :-\

The NCOWS rule refer to both the Matt finish blue/black and the brushed Matt finish nickel....
found on...  Uberti , (under several different sub names ) Pietta and USFA (Rodeo & Rodeo II )

Though rare there were some USFA revolver offered in rainbow Matt colors ( these are not NCOWS approved thou I doubt we ever see any)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
I'm not sure what your saying  :-\

The NCOWS rule refer to both the Matt finish blue/black and the brushed Matt finish nickel....
found on...  Uberti , (under several different sub names ) Pietta and USFA (Rodeo & Rodeo II )

Though rare there were some USFA revolver offered in rainbow Matt colors ( these are not NCOWS approved thou I doubt we ever see any)
I'm saying you can read that more than one way .
"No matt-finished or brush finished stainless steel guns."
It says nothing about blue/black guns . You can make the argument that it should say "No matt-finished blue/black guns or brushed finished stainless guns . "

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
I suppose one could interpret it like that... no argument

There are some places places within the Tally Book that have vague statements...

if you feel strongly we reword to include "...  refer to both the Matt finish blue/black and the brushed Matt finish nickel"
It can be added to the agenda at up coming Congress... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com