Author Topic: The "Uberti Wait"  (Read 14898 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
The "Uberti Wait"
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
I know that no one really knows how soon guns come from Uberti, but I'm trying to make a guess bases upon others' past experience.  If it could be exceptionally long, I want to prepare myself.

As I mentioned in another thread here, I just ordered a Cimarron Model P revolver.  The rep from Cimarron told my FFL holder that it would be 60-90 days before they're in stock.  Is that realistic, or should I brace myself for much longer?

I'm never good at being patient, but I'm a little better if I have a realistic idea of how long it will be.  I went through this before with a rifle, where I kept being told "two weeks".  Every two weeks, I was told "another two weeks and it should be here."  (This was NOT Cimarron, by the way.)  It was very frustrating and I eventually cancelled my order with that supplier and paid $100 extra to get the gun from Cimarron, who had it in stock.  I didn't like that experience and don't want to repeat it.

Thanks.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: The "Uberti Wait"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
I was surfing GunBroker just today ...I must have seen 30 + Uberti Cattlemen many NIB

At my age Patience be damned ... go look you might just find what you want  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »
I haven't seen too many of my specific model, the MP522 (4 3/4" BP frame in 44-40).  If I saw one of those on Gunbroker, I'd be interested.  Otherwise I'll have to wait.  That's what I get for being picky... ::)

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:21:58 PM »

Offline texcl

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
I saw one on guns international for $550 the other day. I'm always amazed what you can find on the internet, I just bought a new in the box cimarron 4 3/4"  model p in 45 colt with the US finish option for $550. Cimarron told me it would be several months and over $700.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »
I've got a specific configuration in mind and I haven't seen those show up very often.  Tempted as I am to compromise to shorten the wait, I think I'll hold out for exactly what I want. Now if Abilene would find an extra one laying around at Cimarron, that would be nice. Otherwise I'm going to have to show some patience, which is in short supply at my house.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »

Just to cheer you up, Uberti manufactures guns in "Runs."  Once a run is complete, it might be 18 months before another run of a particular gun is done.  Uberti may or may not fill requests for specific guns in a run.  I personally waited 3 years for a specific rifle.  I wouldn't get in in a hurry, nor would I get in a rush.  Patience grasshopper.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
Patience. I'll have to look that word up. ;)

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised when I came out and asked Mary if she wanted to shot cowboy action and she admitted she did.  Having just got a pair of Cattleman 45s, she liked them but wanted 357/38s.  We hit more than a dozen gunshops big and small looking at cowboy guns.  Mary decided she wanted a pair of Cattleman 357/38 with brass grip frames and 4-5/8" barrels.   Three places checked on availability. Answer, 6-8 weeks or more.  Mary wasn't happy.  Once you decide on what you want,  you want it.   I found an ad on an online gun sales site for one configured like she wanted.  I encouraged Mary to call.  If she could get one at least she could practice.   She made the call.  As she was talking,  I broke in and said, "asked if the had two." She did and they did have two. She said, "I'll take'm.". Done deal.  Even after shipping and receiving FFL dealer fees,  they were less than what the gum shops were going to charge.  

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40:38 AM »
In a previous post I stated " At my age Patience be damned"

My reasoning was valid .... I think  :)

Years ago when Uberti first intro'ed The Type 2 Richards ... I wanted one , had to have one , lusted for one...
so I ordered one...and was told the famous" 60 days " line "

" The rep from Cimarron told my FFL holder that it would be 60 days"   ::)

I waited the allotted time , then told "another 60 days" by Cimarron, and then another ,  2006 rolled into Jan. 07  and found me at the  Shot Show in Orlando. At the Cimarron booth I got to fondle one (not for sale ) , I was told they might be in when they got back to Texas.
 Called, Only to be told, another 60 days  ::) and another came and went...ad nausea...,  course so did the funds... I found a Kenny Howell Type 1 Richards for sale....

Finally, 2010 BINGO , I saw a Type 2 for sale...  Patience ? no,  but it is a noteworthy memory  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
Hey Major 2,

I gotta pair of Type II Richards in .44 Special, Custom Army grips or SAA grips I'm gonna sell ...............  :-)

Coffinmaker

Offline Buckingham

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
As to the question of "how long to wait" I have just received my Uberti Cattleman Cavalry 7 1/2" barrel after a wait of nearly 2 years ! Not only that ,but the price was almost twice what I have seen quoted for this model in USA at 850 Euros,and that is buying from the country next door ( I live in France), having received the gun I thought it best to strip it completely down to check out any of the faults that I see regularly reported on this forum, I was pleased to find none, all the barrel and chamber dimensions were spot on, and the indexing was excellent, my challenge now is to find a good load for it, I have tried 35 Grns of BP with a 250 Gr Big Lube Bullet, and that shoots very well, I have now loaded some 6.5 Gr Bullseye and 250 Gr bullet loads to see how a Nitro charge shoots in it. The only downside is the unbelievable size of the grips! they are so small that I can hardly hold on to it, the first job then is to make a proper size grip frame and some exhibition grade walnut grips!
Chris,
France.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
I've been asking around on the Richards Type IIs myself. Buffalo Arms said they had no idea. Asked at my local CAS shop and the guy called Cimarron directly, where the sales staff said they had absolutely no idea. I think someone needs to slap some Italians and tell them how to run their business.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
While gunbroker and others are good to check, I would also contact any shop that sells a bunch of cimarron's/Ubertis and ask them to keep an eye out.  You might have one pop up sooner.

Best of luck to you Brother
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
If it's a rare model or wanting options that are not usually in inventory I would order it.

I certainly wouldn't imply, as Bill did, that they don't know how to run their business, ever thought they make certain runs of guns based on the orders to be filled?

It's really hard to say on the wait, last year my local gun shop didn't have much in the way of cowboy guns and had an order in to Cimarron for model P revolvers. Meanwhile I ordered some custom revolvers with a custom serial number from Cimarron through 3B Shooting Supply and I wound up getting the custom revolvers before the gun shops stock order came in.

For how long to wait, I've got a custom 73 on a big brown truck somewhere between here and Texas as I type. I ordered that rifle last January. Yeah I've waited a year but I would have NEVER seen that rifle with the options I want turn up if I sat around and just hoped.

I just placed an order for a custom 76 rifle, hopefully I get it to shoot it by fall and especially by deer season next November.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1227
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
If it's a rare model or wanting options that are not usually in inventory I would order it.

I would order it even if it is a fairly common model. Some of the common guns have a long backorder list.  There is no obligation unless it is a special order (engraving, etc).  If you find a new or used one elsewhere you can always say "no thanks" when the ordered model finally becomes available.

Uberti and Pietta are both running at maximum production.  Although CAS growth has leveled off compared to a decade ago, orders are at record levels.  A large percentage of these orders are from non-CAS.  There was a poll a while back that showed something like this (I've only heard about this second-hand so iffy on the details):  if you are an NRA member and you own at least 6 firearms, then at least one of them is a single-action.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Although CAS growth has leveled off compared to a decade ago, orders are at record levels.  A large percentage of these orders are from non-CAS.

Last time I shot at the range, my 1873 Rifle and RM 1860 Conversions were the most ogled and queried after guns there by a very, very wide margin.  They were also quite excited by the hammered 1878 shotgun.  Something about graceful old hammerguns that ignites a primordial fire in the dark recesses of a man's brains  . . .
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
The nice thing is for many of us in the Northern Virginia Area, Taylors and Co. is usually at the Nation's Gun Show and what you see on the table for display, they have multiples on hand to sell and if need be, they will sell you the one on the table.  Nice folks to deal with too and they stand behind their product.  :)

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »
The nice thing is for many of us in the Northern Virginia Area, Taylors and Co. is usually at the Nation's Gun Show and what you see on the table for display, they have multiples on hand to sell and if need be, they will sell you the one on the table.  Nice folks to deal with too and they stand behind their product.  :)

And the ladies running the booth ain't hard on the eyes, either. 

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
This is not just a "uberti" thing. it has been the historic thing of italian shopping. When I got my ffl in 1980 I wanted an engraved nickel plated Dakota. I waited for 8-10 months and still no gun. So I finally settled for a blue/cch/steel tg/bs and got it in 4 days. There have been similar waits for other gunz over the years. Sometimes they come in right away and sometimes they don't And then there are the times they are stuck in customs for a paperwork hassle.

so, if you see what you want and they have it, grab it it may be a long wait for another.

and don't blame the importers (emf, taylors, cimarron etc) they are all at the mercy of the manufacturers. they order and then have to wait too.....and listen to us complain every week too...

sorry it ain't better news.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:59:56 PM »
I had to order my "Morgan" due to no one having it in the display case.

She is an Cimmaron Old Model P in Charcoal Blue 5 1/2 in .45 Colt

Surprisingly The distributer had 5 models in inventory!  :o
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com