Author Topic: modifying rifle to carbine?  (Read 5931 times)

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
modifying rifle to carbine?
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
Would it be a "bad thing" to have a trapdoor rifle made into a carbine? I don't think my rifle is anything particularly collectible, if anything I think it's already a bit bastardized. 223xxx receiver, 1884 breechblock?  I think it would be fun to use it at next years Muster since it will be the Little Bighorn anniversary. I was inspired by observing Oklahoma Tom laying down a smokey wall of fire, and a carbine would sure be nicer to carry through the canyons and up and down the hills! It would also be nice to install a taller front sight at the same time so i wouldn't have to aim at the bad guys feet at 100 yards.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: modifying rifle to carbine?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
I admit, I've also grappled with this question briefly, when I was getting my first Trapdoor rifle recently. I've personally decided to keep mine as is, and keep an eye out for either a carbine or a rifle that someone else had already cut down, as I'm a bit loathe to do it to mine.

I do recall reading something in another post that is applicable here, however, and that was basically that as long as the firearm is priceless to you & yours, that's what matters. Do what you want to enjoy your firearm.

Just my two cents, of course.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
The Trapdoor's serial number often doesn't have anything to do with the date on the breechblock or the sights - these were able to be installed as needed, and were, when the piece was repaired - as was the stock.

You might want to give that some thought.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:30 PM »

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
A sling for your rifle should make it easier to carry than a carbine under the conditions you mentioned.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
Obviously, if it's yours you can do what you want with it.  With that being said, I hate to have un-messed-with rifle cut down when there are plenty of them out there that have already been cut down.  (I've got a barreled action I had professionally cut down to carbine length if anyone is interested.)  I'm building an 1870 Trapdoor Carbine myself, since with only about 361 of them built originally, they're sort of difficult to find!  I had the barrel cut down from a full length rifle, but it was a parts gun with the last nine inches of bore looking like sewer pipe.  I sold the stock, as it was still solid and original.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
As has been pointed out, your rifle is most surely original, and while it is yours to do with as you wish, I would be loathe to alter it.  It's an opportunity to find another one that has been altered already, and restore it to the military configuration you desire.  I have 3 krags.  One original infantry rifle, and 2 cut downs, one I've made into an 1899 carbine, another I'm working into the rare Engineers Carbine. (only 395 made originally)  This has been something I've really enjoyed.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497064795

Lot of good buy-it-nows on trapdoors right now!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
I have to ask...?
Are there not enough original Carbines out there, that Rifles have to be cut down to fill todays demand for Carbines?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
So Drydock, as you would be loathe to alter an original rifle into a carbine, does that imply if I do so you will take my rifle/carbine away from me and beat me senseless with it? I really don't want to P.O. the Ordnance Officer! My thought for altering this rifle as opposed to buying another one, is at least I know what I'm starting out with. My impression was that there are many more rifles than carbines out there?
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
There were approx 500,000 rifles made, but only 60,000 carbines.  Original Carbines tend to run double the price of rifles. 

I would not be angry or offended, but a little sad.  I see an original military rifle as history in steel and wood.  Every alteration reduces both its history, and its value.  IMHO if you really want a carbine, then sell the rifle and use the money to buy one of the Pedersoli reproduction carbines.  I have one of these, and it's a wonderful shooter.  I plan on bringing it to the Muster next year.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »
Call me Lucifer...... In 1993 while in pre-production for Geronimo a made for TV movie, I was contacted by the
Geronimo,  An American Legend production....  two shows to prop.

Their request for Trapdoor carbine's for the Reenactor core, I acquired about 25 or so Rifles, some were already bastardized, a couple were cadet rifles....  all fell to my powered hack saw , miter box saw & sanding drum.

Nothing really stunning , but still a bit of a sacrifice , for the reel west  :-\  I can tell you, no Horses were injured ...

So yeah.... I have cut ...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
Oh the horror!   :-X  Go forth, and saw no more . . .   ;)

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Drydock Sir! Two questions on the Pedersoli 1. do they have the dreaded set screw on the cam-latch shaft? That is one of the reasons I sold an H&R replica. It also had a real crappy tang sight. 2. do you have to aim 2 feet low at 100 yds like with an original? I don't want to make the Ordnance Officer sad either.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
While it has a set screw, the shaft interface is square instead of round, so the problems that plagued the H&R do not occur with the Pedersoli.  

Mine shot LOW with Milspec loads, I had to file the sight down to reach point of aim.  IE Pedersoli gave it extra front sight so you can set it up with your loadings.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497287292

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 12:46:30 AM »
I would just like to say - shooting my carbine at the last muster was literally a blast.  Hope everyone had hearing protection.  And smoke goggles!  I will be back next year with that same carbine.  I hope I shoot better in 2016.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
Thanks for answering all my questions Drydock! I believe the carbine that Texican was makin all the smoke and noise with was a Pedersoli replica. You've pretty much got me talked out of cutting my rifle up, and going shopping instead! If I remember to throw it in, I'll take my rifle to Colfax so you can meet it in person and give me your opinion.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »
I'll bring the carbine for you to look at.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
Yes, mine was a Pedersoli Replica (#7 of 125) they built for the 125th anniversary of the 1873 Springfield Trap Door. I sent it out to be stripped and finished in the original finishes of rust blue, fire blue, and bone color case hardening. Then I aged the barrel and wood a bit to give it that used look.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 03:42:28 AM »
Wish I'd known that,  Mine's # 47!  Was yours one of the plated ones?  (Cherry's commissioned a run of these for said anniversary in 1998, then had trouble selling them.  I got one of the last on the rack, discounted quite a bit.  Some were fancy plated, some done blue and CCH.  Mine is one of the latter)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com