Author Topic: Holster Styles & Variations  (Read 100703 times)

mike highgate

Re: Holster Styles & Variations
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
Beautiful  carving, Ten Wolves. Awesome.

Curley - does verdigris affect modern veg tanned leather, or was it just earlier forms of tanning?

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
Hello JD

As far as posting goes, don't feel bad, I've done the same thing, you spend the time writing a reply, and then forget to push the submit ,( LOL ) The answer to your first question, if you are talking about the natural walnut dyed Cheyenne holsters I posted just before Curley, the only finish on the holsters is the home made walnut dye, which I let the holsters sit covered in the dye all sewed  for five days, then Lexoil for a conditioner after the leather had totally dryed,( I also did my wet molding after taking them out of the dye),after the Lexoil dried ( about 2 hours ) I put on only two light coats of EVOO, and they darken without having to put them in the sun, so I didn't put anymore EVOO on them, I finished them in Skidmores Leather cream, the belt is 4 to 5 ounce brown oil tanned leather, you don't do anything to this kind of leather at all, the bullet loops and belt billets were finished before sewing them on, this type of leather makes great chaps also, but really works well as a money belt,.
   Now if your talking about the picture just after Curleys, the inside is treated with just Neatsfoot oil, and then sprayed a light coat of Neat-lac, the color was a light tan, it turned this color after oiling too heavy with Neatsfoot oil, this is something you have to watch, and something I have learned along the way, even WC has this happen to him when trying to get an exact color.
   JD the leather I used for the New Model Vaquero rig is out of 13 to 15 ounce saddle skirting, I just wanted to try this thick leather and see how it worked, the Cheyenne holster that I made on the picture before Curleys is also out of the same thick leather, the one on top of Packing Iron. the belt is the same oil tanned money belt, all the veg tanned leather is finished in Neatsfoot oil and a last treatment of Skidmores leather cream, this thick saddle skirting made some really nice holsters, and they're strong, and once wet formed they stay put. When I oil if I'm trying to get different shades, I will use a paint brush and put more oil in areas that I want shaded darker, it works well for me and adds a nice look of aging to your leather.
   On the Jesse James rig I finished the leather in EVOO,  I did a few light coats with SUN TANNING in between coats untill I achieved the color and tone /shade I was after, when I finish leather now, I take more time in the finishing process, this allows you to have more control over your work piece. the last thing I do after my leather is totally dry, is to apply Skidmores as a final treatment.
   In regards to learning from CowboyWC, he's a great Pard and I consider myself a lucky pard to have him as a friend.

Howdy Mike

Thanks for your comment Pard, you can get VERDIGRIS from veg-tan leather too, I had it happen to me, but it's slower to happen than other leather, just remember your bullet loops aren't for storing ammo, only use your loops when you need them or for looks, but take them out and put them back in the box at the end of the day, I'm not saying you would be in trouble if you didn't for a few days, but it's easy to forget , and then time goes by and you could be in trouble it doesn't happen overnight and veg-tan is the safest leather to use for this, just be careful and don't leave them in your belt too long.Nickel plated shell casings do a whole lot better than brass, and can be left in your belt for a longer time, I have a full set of dummy loads that are Nickel plated and they're just for this purpose.

Howdy Johnny

Thank you for your kind words Pard, talk to you later

Thanks to all for your comments, it is much appreciated

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer 10 Wolves, I appreciate the information, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 04:08:39 PM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

:D My pleasure JD

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Howdy All  ;D

I just finished up a couple of holsters that I copied mostly from my earlier post of a old holster for my 1886 S&W Lemon Squeezer, these holsters are for that time period, and for that type revolver, the dyes I used were all natural, the brown one was natural walnut dye, the black one was Vinegaroon, I used Lexoil on both holsters after the dye had dried as a Conditioner, I added some Fiebings stain that I blended with Neatsfoot oil to get the color I wanted on the brown holster,  I used Gum traencanth, and Bag Kote, both were diluted to 40/60 distilled water, and a final coat of Skidmores Leather cream, and then buffed to a nice sheen.

Thanks for taking a look see  :o ;D

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »
Howdy 10 W,

This one is a real looker too!!  You are on a roll buddy!!!  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »

Howdy Dr. Bob  ;D

Thanks for your kind words Pard, I just realized I didn't post the brown holster, so I made the correction, I appreciate your comment Pard.

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
Howdy TW
Great work.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »
Doggone nice, TW. The pedal stamp around the floral one really looks good. The braid makes a nice border, too. The brown one is just as nice. I like the way you tie the skirt to the holster with the thong, too.  ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »
Nice work, 10 W. Real period look. A question....

Do Lexol and Bag Kote darken leather when applied after dye? I'm looking for a way of finishing that doesn't change the color. Thanks in advance.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2009, 06:25:59 AM »
Howdy Ten Wolves,

Beautiful job Pard! Great design and excellent workmanship! Many thanks for sharing your talents with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »

Very nice, 10W. Good job on both.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »

Howdy All  :D

Thanks for your comments and nice things you all had to say about my leather work, Thanks CowboyWC,
 Marshal Will,Skeeter Lewis,Johnny McCrae and Irish Dave  ;) :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:30 PM »
Howdy Pards,
 i would like to know how this thread got by me ??? but I am glad it did :) because I just 1 1/2 hr's ago started reading it, and admiring the Master Peices that has been displayed :o :o
 Every peice I saw was inpirsation to me to change my idea on the way that I have looked at the leather  work I have done! When I started, i traded a guy out of partical starter stamp kit! I joined here and was advise to get Al S. book on making holsters, and so I did. Went and got me some scrap leather form a leather guy, and made my first rig! It turn out so so, and did its job! But then I got in a hurry mind set ::) And I couldn't learn fast enough, or do enough!
 After looking and reading and taking my time looking every peice over closely, I saw several flaws in my work  :-[ :-[, that I didn't see in any of the work displayed, what I did see was lots and a lot more time, devotion, and perfection, in each peice! That is something I have lacked in my work! My last peice the S.H. for the Lemon Sqezzer was the best peice of leather work I had done! Why was it my best, I spent hours planning it out, and then many hours making it! Putting everything I had in to that peice!!
 i want to thank each one of you that showed your work in this topic, for I took the time to look, and study, and it hit me right in the head!! It's like a lot of things I have done in my life, get it done, so I can get something else done!! No more old me! I want to do work like was displayed here!

Thanks everyone for the AWESOME peices you have shared, and by doing that, has opened my mind up to my flaws!
You all have a nice evening!
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »
My very last work, not my best but!!!!

[edit:links to images lost]

The war is over. The cavalty man is mustered out and he kept his trusty Dance revolver when moving to the West to find a job, maybe, as many ancient cavalry me as a cowhand.

He cut off the flap of his military holster and used is as a slim jim one.
Here is for the history, I'll use it as a left hand holster together with a Colt 1860 strong handed.
This holster (may be a little too slim, but leather could have dried a little during the war) is patterned agafter a picture (right hand holster) in Military Holsters and pilstol cartidges boxes, p.74, with similar but not same decoration. The actual colour is darker as the leather is well oiled and the pic was too clear.

THe Colt holster is  similar that Packing Iron page 94, bottom picture....
Successful me! No I begin!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2009, 05:52:33 AM »
Howdy Curly Red

Good looking holster, and it looks like a strong one too, your story is well written and adds a really nice touch to this thread, your Dance revolver is nice too, Thanks for sharing Pard. ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2009, 07:20:26 AM »
Howdy Curly,

Ten Wolves expressed my sentiments exactly. The story is perfect! Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »
Looks good, Curly. You captured the ex-military look exactly right. Nice touch to leave the flap keeper on. Thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »
I don't know about that "Not by best effort" comment. The holster looks great to me!

Thanks for sharing, it's a good inspiration. I'm going to try a Slim Jim pretty soon, using one of WIll G's patterns.

Also, thanks for sharing the information on how things are in France regarding firearms and CAS. Very interesting.
JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »
Curley, I will have to agree with those comments made above! Awesome job, and a great story! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com