Author Topic: Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED  (Read 1855302 times)

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff!!!
« Reply #3600 on: October 03, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
Chuck & TK
2 thumbs up.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3601 on: October 03, 2009, 10:45:43 PM »
Very nice inlay, Kid. I like the grey and black with the white accent. Good work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3602 on: October 03, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
Thanks to all of you. KT

Advertising

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3603 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
Sorry to you guys, for not repling earlier, but CB,and KT, AWESOME!!!! The Back has kept me a little silent! I know that is hard to believe, but it is true!! Both you guys, those are out standing rigs!! I have a lot of stuff I would like to make, but don't know if I will get to! Looks like early cool temps arn't good for me, so I am going to have to rethink my plans. KT and I have been working on a couple of inlay rigs, and thaks KT!!
 I figured that I would be indoors most of the winter, but had hoped to be able to play a little longer than I have! Got to finish the big rig and it has to be the best I have ever done!
Sorry that was talking out of place!!
CB, I am allways impressed with you gear, your style is like no other!! KT, you also have a very diffent style of your own!! I commind both of you on your Talents!! I greatly appreciate the fact that you pards share your work, (and that is to all pards on the forum) the inspiration that every one puts into this forum is AWESOME!! With out this forum, I wouldn't be doing leather work, and i love doing it!!
Keep all the leather work coming!!
AWESOME STUFF!!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3604 on: October 04, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
Hi Ace good to hear from u. The remark about the rig your working being the best u ever did. is the way to think. Thats what makes us better and gives us something to work toward. Lets hope u start feeling better. KT

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #3605 on: October 04, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »
Well, after all the cool holsters from Kid Terico and Chuck Burrows, I hesitate to post anything, but here goes. These are holsters number 7 & 8 for me. The sewing is coming along, hand sewn.

I have several other holsters in various stages of completion, and these are not entirely done. I still need to apply some Gum Trag to the inside-backside areas, but I assembled them to take them to church to share with my shootin buds, along with my new Arkansas toothpick.

These are a slight modification of one of Slowhand Bob’s patterns (Thanks for all your efforts Bob). I’m going to make the next set a little bigger, and probably do some carving. I’ve also got some cut out using a modified version of Will Ghormley’s Cattleman holster.

Thanks for looking guys, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3606 on: October 04, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
JD With out even being finished I can tell u they are some beautiful holsters. They have a great shape and I love the color. Most of my rigs are all hand sewen. I dont even use a awl. I would be PROUD to wear a rig like that and u should be too.What type belt u making for them? Please show when finished  . Show more of your work.. KT  Also knife doesnt look very good with those holsters.. Why dont u send it to me. I bet if I try I can find a rig it will go with. ;D ;D ;D ???

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3607 on: October 04, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
JD, JOB WELL DONE PARD, you did a bang up job on these holsters, I like your choice of border tooling, I might use this combination my ownself if you wouldn't mind, it shows good taste, just the right amount of tooling, and the rosette, is very unique and shows style, excellent choice of stamping tools, and the color is beautiful, it looks rich and antique, your sewing is right on and looks good, one thing I might suggest is at the top of your bucket at the seam line, instead of going across with your stitching, go off to the side like a^ but not quit this angle, usually about 1/4" away from the main seam, this will strengthen your seam line, going at a 90 degree across allows too much stress on the last stitch, I like to sew starting at the last stitch on the main seam, down ^ about a 1/4" away from the main seam, and about 1/2" long, this stitch line will reinforce your seam line at the top of the bucket where the stress is, you can think about trying this on you next holster, Slowhand Bobs pattern worked out great, and like KT said will look good in a new gun belt, Thanks for sharing Pard, you did good. ::) :o 8)

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D   
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3608 on: October 04, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
Thanks 10 Wolves, I noticed that line, and what other people were doing After I'd done the stitching line. The next ones will reflect that angle.

KT, I'm going to start on the belt early this week, and I will most likely design it after the pattern on the holsters. It will be unlined, and I'll try to get as close to the color other the holsters as possible. I don't know what they call the style of belt I'm going to do, but it's not a ranger belt, just cut down on each end with a buckle. It's the type of belt you see on Long Hunter rigs.

I've got a guitar strap I've got to work on, and a few other things I've promised. Chen Geer is coming to Portland, and I'm taking the classes he's offering, from this coming Thursday through Sunday.   

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3609 on: October 04, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
JD, you are being to modest those are beautiful holsters and you matched the color perfectly. You know by now that I am a sucker for simple and classy and you nailed it with those two. I am sure that the belt will look just as good. Can't wait to see it
                                                            GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Bodie Bascom

• Very Active Citizen
  • Shootin' big boolits, livin' large
  • Liked:
« Reply #3610 on: October 04, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
JD those holsters are really great.  I love the color.  The stamping is simple, understated and quite appealing.  I think they are fantastic and can't wait to see them teamed with the matching belt.

bodie
Texas Peacemakers
NCOWS
SASS
SBSS
WARTHOG
NRA
TSRA

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3611 on: October 04, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »
You guys are way too kind. Blind, but way too kind ::)

Of couse I see every flaw, and vow to do a better job on the next set. 

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3612 on: October 04, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
The Kennedy rig is very nice, Kid. Thanks for the pics. Having enough of them is subjective and lasts a few days, at best. ;D

JD, those hosters look really nice. The border is very balanced and appropriate for the style and look. Nice work. Flaws? Naw. Remember, we see the good stuff and the maker sees the rest. Very nice, for sure.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3613 on: October 05, 2009, 07:21:40 AM »
Howdy JD,
 Those Holsters are AWESOME!! I have to agree with the rest of the gang, the color and the stamping is just great!! I don't know how anyone could of done them any better!! I can't wait to see the finished rig!!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3614 on: October 05, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
Good job JD! I think your stitching looks good! On occasion, I still do the top of the holster like you did, to help reinforce a welt if I put one in. I will usually come down a little as well, so that it is 3 sides of a square, instead of just 2 like you did. I dont do it very often, and dont even think I have any around right now to show a pic of.
GOod job tho!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #3615 on: October 05, 2009, 01:20:37 PM »
Howdy Kid,
More outstanding work from your workshop! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Howdy JD,
You did a beautiful job on your holsters! Everything about them is first class! We are all very proud of you.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline FEATHERS

• 2Feathers
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3616 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
G'Day JD,Your holsters turned out mighty fine,as a newbie as well I really enjoy seeing the projects & picking up a few tricks.One tip I picked up from a leatherworker here is before I do my edging,I run over the flesh side with a disposable razor,gets rid of all the fuzzies.Feathers.

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3617 on: October 05, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3618 on: October 05, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3619 on: October 05, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
Thanks Feathers, I'll have to give that a try. Slowhand Bob talked about using a foam sanding sponge, and I have a couple of those (real common in the states) It really works well.

Kid Terico, thanks for the phone call today. It was great getting to know you, and I appreciate all the good tips. JD  

You slipped that last one in while I was writing this. What do you call that style of belt, besides a normal cowboy belt. I tried to find a name for it, because it's the style I'm using for the holsters I just posted. Thanks. Great looking "Spaghetti" rig, must be rich Italians  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com