Author Topic: Am I jinxed?  (Read 87331 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Am I jinxed?
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2006, 09:55:45 PM »
Hey Litl Rooser, did you know Ford is bringing back the Pinto?  They're renaming it the Hindenburg.

Naw, I bought a Chevy Citation with power nothing. It's a dream and 800 pounds lighter than the same car fully loaded: no hydraulics, no motors, no switches, no wiring, no mounting brackets, no hardware, because...no power seats, no power windows, no power locks, no power trunk or gas cap release, no power mirrors, and no power antenna.  It also has the simplest am/fm radio you have seen in three decades, a single disc CD player, a basic AC, simple heater, no cruise control, three speed wipers, and fold down rear seats.

They spent no time effort, or materials on a softer ride, sound deadening materials, or fancy trim.

It's the WWII Jeep of small coupes.

It has a few drawbacks.  It fits like stretch pants, you have to be a contortionist to roll down the driver's window, and after a half century of auto design improvemenst, no one has yet designed a decent seat belt system, BUT it's simple, quick (less weigh) and handles like my Datsun 1600 roadster ca 1968, and gets about 34 mpg if I drive like a sane person.  I usually get about 26 because I tend to flog it a bit. 

Biggest two problema are getting in and out, and there ain't room for even the most basic gun cart.  I might see if I can fit it with a hitch and find a little trailer.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2006, 07:09:42 AM »
Forty, if yer serious ‘bout a cart what’ll fit let me know.  I can point ya to the basic plan then tell ya how to improve ‘em a bit.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »
GEE, Forty, I haven't seen one of those in years. Most of them around here are now tin cans :o ;D
 lR, I had one of those Pinto wagons, exactly the color scheme you described. Had a 2000cc four banger with a 4 speed................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #243 on: Today at 12:32:05 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »
I had a Buick Skylark, but it was a 4 door, used to take the back seat out and haul a dozen or so dutch ovens in it.  That way they were supported boy bothe the front and back springs. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
Wuz wunnerin’ ‘bout the ‘Citation’ part.  They ain’t been around in awhile but I ain’t sittin’ in Forty’s car.

A Cavalier could be a good deal.  Quit makin’ ‘em but I'm thinkin' I saw some new ones sittin' on the lots as late as last spring - ain't sure.  They were just about givin’ them ‘n the Sunbird thingys away ‘round here ‘n there’s a bunch runnin’ ‘round with ‘em.  Hearin’ good things about the Cobalt.

Neighbor ‘cross the way bought her daughter one the Sunbirds fer Christmas last year.  The kid totaled it in January.  She wasn’t hurt so how it happened was funny as all heck.

Anyways, hope Forty is real happy with it ‘n it does ‘im good.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »
Watch this thread for futher dee-vell-o-ments. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:11 AM »
GEE, Forty, I haven't seen one of those in years. Most of them around here are now tin cans :o ;D
 lR, I had one of those Pinto wagons, exactly the color scheme you described. Had a 2000cc four banger with a 4 speed................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Buck, in 73 or 4 my dad had one that color, my younger brother had a light blue one he traded in on a Vega
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »
IIRC, it was a '72....................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:01 PM »
 I am not sure, what year theirs were they had them when I returned from my ,Seinor trip in the winter of 74
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »
Hey Forty... is it an X-11? ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2006, 12:33:19 AM »
2005 Cavalier...no other designation. 

Even the Chevy "bow tie" on the trunk lid is a simple gold colored stamping.

No ABS, one mandatory air bag, had them add a visor on the passenger side.

Noisy as hell, but very gutsy and corners like it's on rails.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2006, 03:40:53 AM »
2005 Cavalier...no other designation. 

Even the Chevy "bow tie" on the trunk lid is a simple gold colored stamping.

No ABS, one mandatory air bag, had them add a visor on the passenger side.

Noisy as hell, but very gutsy and corners like it's on rails.

Is this Chevy's answer to the KIA?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2006, 09:42:16 AM »
lR, that tiny rolling box called an Aveo is their answer to the Kia. The Cavaliers go back to the late 70's, early '80's. they replaced the Vega.................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »
lR, that tiny rolling box called an Aveo is their answer to the Kia. The Cavaliers go back to the late 70's, early '80's. they replaced the Vega.................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Just barely remember the Vega.............(being so young and all)   I have most stuck with Ford's or Dodge not that there any better, just have had better luck with them
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
Same here,lR. Just seem to understand Ford's better than other makes.............Buck 8) ::) ;)
 I used to refer to Vegas as Vaguely's, vaguley resembles an automobile........... ;D ;D 8)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »
Ole gal next door drives a Cavalier.  Think it’s an ’83.  Never had no trouble with it they tell me.  Ain’t got no mileage on it to speak of.  They keep it serviced regularly by a garage up the street.  Thinkin’ that’s key.  I keep the tires right for her.

Her grand daughter’s Sunbird, a ’00 or ’01, sounds like the last time it started will be the last time it’ll ever start but it’s still goin’.  Sounds awful.  They pour oil in it weekly.  Glad neither of my daughters are driving it.  They both drive Hondas (Ok, we’re Toyota and Honda snobs)..

Local NAPA stores are phasin’ in Aveos (Deawoos) for delivery vehicles.  Less than 9 grand per unit their cost.  Thirty miles per gallon.  I just can’t see ‘em standin’ up to the abuse like the S-10s (Isuzus) have.  The Isuzus will flat take a beatin'.  Those Aveos look pretty fragile. They keep detailed service records so they’ll know which was more cost effective.  Time ‘n miles will tell.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2006, 03:51:40 PM »
Aveos, are they those little box looking things that are popping up. Lot of times painted with some web address on them?  50% tin<recycled soda cans 50% plastics

I have been looking at Toyotas and Nissans. I hear good things about their preformance, but their  MPG are no better than our 1/2 ton Ford, and cost just under them.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2006, 03:58:23 PM »
I'll stick with my beat up F-150 as long as I can, that 300 CID six and the fiver give me about 23 on the highway and folks get out of the most time for an old beater pick-up with a guy with a big hat drivin', sometime a big black dog ridin' shotgun. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »
Aveos, are they those little box looking things that are popping up. Lot of times painted with some web address on them?  50% tin<recycled soda cans 50% plastics

I have been looking at Toyotas and Nissans. I hear good things about their preformance, but their  MPG are no better than our 1/2 ton Ford, and cost just under them.

Think yer thinkin' 'bout Scions, Rooster.  Remember, the Nissan got a lot of French ownership in it.  I give Wildcat Will hell o'er that with his Titan.

Best I've ever gotten with mine was a l'il over 26 but ya know how I drive it.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »
Are them Sicons made by Playschool, they look like it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com