Author Topic: Brigade Champion weapons  (Read 6514 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Brigade Champion weapons
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
There have now been 5 Grand Musters shot with Milspec Battle rifles.  Of these 5, 3 have been won with large bore single shots.  2 with a small bore repeater.  Once with Black Powder. Trapdoor, Rolling block, Martini-Henry and Krag.  .30, .45, and .50 caliber.

Winning handguns have been a British top break, (Both Enfield and Webley pattern I believe) Colt SAA, Colt DA, Schofield, and a Remington Cartidge conversion. .476,  .45s and .38s. 

The 2011 Grand Muster was won with a .50-70 and a .45  after 2 years of .30 US and .38 LC.

No clear pattern or preference has yet to emerge.  Krags and Trapdoors seem to be the most common on the line, (We are US based after all) but Mausers, Lees, Rolling blocks, Sharps, Spencers, Mosins, Martini-Henry and a Lebel have all made appearances.
And some others I'm sure.

Interesting.  And a great deal of fun to watch.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Brigade Champion weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Yeah, Heck I can't even decide what I want to shoot. Oh wait, who needs to decide. Just shoot them all ;D I guess I'm going to have to add some equipment though if I'm going to ever get to be competitive with the Krag.

Oh yeah, and the uniforms are something else too.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »
Wonder if the results would vary if the C96 or P08 were thrown into the mix. SMLE and C96 would be positively Churhillian.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:44:26 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
THe C96 is specificaly referred to in our regulations, and I look forward to seeing Winstons favorite sidearm on the line.  I know a few GAF personnel are working on theirs. The P08 however, is not allowed as a main match weapon (outside our era) though it could be used in the Expansion era sidematch

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
It would appear that the most important factor is the Trooper himself, more than the weapon he chooses.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
It would appear that the most important factor is the Trooper himself, more than the weapon he chooses.

Indeed!  Practice - practice - PRACTICE!

I say this in hopes that I may someday be able to attend a Grand Muster:  I have only one rifle suitable for a Military portrayal (besides the legal guns I use for NCOWS and the few SASS matches I attend.  I have a nice 1888 Commission Rifle (German) but have  no handgun that  would actually accompany this rifle.  Yes - I know the SAA is "legal" and pretty realistic, but I want something more.  And here is the problem.  Ca$h.  I really envy all you guys with your Trapdoors, Krags, Enfields, and "right out of formation" uniforms.  But, it gives me something to aspire to.  My Indian Wars portrayal is somewhat lacking, and truth be know - I'm getting pretty "long in the tooth" and my Olympic-athlete physique is long gone.  In short, It's hard to envision myself still in uniform!

LoL!

Like I said, I have plenty to aspire to!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying in my beer, (much) just saying.

;)

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
Shoot as straight infantry!  Then you don't even need a pistol.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
OMG can we have straight infantry anymore?
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
;D
That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

I haven't even tried to get a broomhandle to run with slow cast bullets. As a handgun firing the full powered 1500fps 85gr loads, well, no matter how much I shoot one, I can't hit as accurately and rapidly as I can with a DA revolver and believe that anyone well versed in both double action revolver shooting and the Mauser pistol would get the same results. Now with the stock attached, that's a different story. The Mauser pistol then becomes an ergonomic, fast, accurate and handy rapid fire carbine. That stock really helps get the thing under control by counteracting the negative effects caused by the extremely high bore line and bag shaped grip frame! :)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
OOPS Sorry folks this post was meant to be a private message and not a hijack.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
And yes, Steel Horse, you alllready have all you need to shoot our infantryman class. 

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
A Mauser Commission Rifle and a lack of uniforms and a suitable handgun just screams "BOER"!  I believe someone posted some excellent photos of Boers on one of these threads, or just Google images for Boers.  I personally would love to see someone do that impression (if that's the term for what we do).

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
Well, thanks for the answers, friends!  I'm about as "straight" as they come and I'm already a Boor, so I'm set!

Seriously, I appreciate the ideas.  I LIKE the Boer era idea a lot.  I love shooting that old 1888, even if it is actually one of the ones from around 1897 or so that were converted to go to Turkey.  It has the German unit markings, but also the Turkish Bolt and graduated sights.  I've retired it from full-power 8mm rounds (it also has the newer .323" bore, rather than the original .319") but I feel that full-power rounds are asking a lot from this gun.  So, I load and shoot it with some 100yd. loads I got from the tech at Sierra, who helped me with reduced loads for several of my old "Bolters."  These reduced power rounds typically use 100-125 gr projectiles and a reduced charge of IMR 4198 (less than 25 grs.) that are plenty accurate.  Since then, I've found some hard-cast lead projectiles (suitable for any metal targets) from Meister that are .323" but intended for the 32-40 rounds if I recall.   I'd LOVE to get a bayonet for this old gal, but the few originals left are pricey in the extreme!!  There are some others available that I'm pretty sure I could adapt, but they aren't free, either.  These are the really long, butcher blade types with no ring over the barrel.  Actually, I have an original bayonet for the my K98 types that have the right stud size, but I won't use one THAT modern just for the sake of "dressing" it up.  I want one more accurate to the time period, at least! 

Now, if only BP worked well in bottle-necked cartridges ....  :D :D

Yes - I know that BP was NOT the original powder for the 7.92 X 57!  I just love to shoot BP!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
Don't ask, don't.......Oh wait, they got rid of that didn't they?!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
A Mauser Commission Rifle and a lack of uniforms and a suitable handgun just screams "BOER"!  I believe someone posted some excellent photos of Boers on one of these threads, or just Google images for Boers.  I personally would love to see someone do that impression (if that's the term for what we do).

I'm hoping to find a proper Mauser in the future  and do this for the long range event.  I think it would be easy for me to shoot long range at Camp Pitspiter.  I think Rattlesanke Jack and I could make quite a picture if he brought the right uniform.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com