Author Topic: Putting Lipstick on a Pig  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Putting Lipstick on a Pig
« on: February 04, 2023, 11:00:57 AM »
Gentlemen, I was cruising Gunbroker (always dangerous), and happened upon a cut down Trapdoor rifle listed as a "Trapdoor Carbine Tribute".  I guess that's one way to market a cut down parts gun!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Putting Lipstick on a Pig
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:12:10 AM »
Some people just like their pigs gilded . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 12:25:04 PM »
Fools and money they say . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:33:03 PM »

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 04:34:06 PM »
I saw two stripped trapdoors being sold as "parts guns" today.  Both started life as ramrod bayonet guns; one was the barreled action (no breechblock, no rear sight) and barrel bands.  The other was just a barreled action (no sights/barrel bands/etc).  Nice bores though, still contemplating going back for one or the other. 

Still pondering why they weren't described as "barreled actions" rather than "parts guns".
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 02:45:54 AM »
Are the ramrod bayonet rifles any more or less desireable?
Just wondering as I have acquired a barreled action cheap and was considering… ummm
“Modification”

Yhs prof marbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 06:36:16 AM »
Longwalker, Were there many Trapdoor parts at the show?

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 10:43:14 AM »
Niederlander, I saw the two stripped actions, one with barrel bands.  No stocks/locks/other furniture, but there might have been some onesy-twosy stuff I missed.  No real "parts guys" there.  I saw two complete rifles, 1884 or updated to that.  Not bad condition, but overpriced.   

What are you looking for?

Professor Marvel, I guess "desireable" depends on your perpsective and use.  For parting together a shooter or custom sporter, the ramrod bayonet guns are problematic because they require the later stock, or the hardware gets in the way of shortening the barrel (unless you want to build a carbine or "tribute carbine"  ;D). 

The ramrod bayonet guns have a lot going for them when bought as complete rifles.  A late rifle is the peak of trapdoor development.  They tend to be in much better condition, have better bores, and (unless previously changed) have the oh-so-popular Buffington rear sight.  I tend to avoid them as shooters because I have a sneaking suspicion that the bayonet hardware changes POI as the barrel heats up. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 12:55:55 PM »
I've actually got most of the parts I need for two carbines.  One is going to be early 1874 and the other 1879.  They were both cut down rifles with nice bores.  (Not "Tribute Carbines"!)  I think an actual rifle would be more difficult, in that you have to find one that hasn't been cut down.  I think if you want a rifle, you're best off just looking for a complete rifle that hasn't been screwed with.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
Does your 1874 have the high-arch breechblock?  And who did you have turn the barrels down and add the front sight bases?  Always good to know who's doing that kind of work.

Parting together a rifle isn't all that bad, if the trades go right.  Find (any) 1878 or later rifle with a rotted bore.  Swap in a barreled action with a decent bore, fill out the parts as needed.  I've done it a few times. 

Next step up from there is to re-barrel a decent rifle with a rotted bore--takes a bit more work and a few more tools, but it is doable: with the loan of a pickup tailgate for a workbench, and a couple of hands to help hold things, I could have done it at the Grand Muster--can't do THAT with a Krag!

Building mixmasters has the benefit of saving collector-grade rifles for the collectors.  There are times--it almost seems cyclical--when people seem to think trapdoors are worth as much as Sharps.  I'm still looking for a shooter 1866, and have reconciled myself to parting one together.  I did find a copy of Croft Barker's 5070 Shooters Handbook, so I figure I'm halfway there!  But I'm thinking about changing my sig line to " Will trade 1878 trapdoor, brass, dies, moulds, for a decent 1866 and brass"!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 10:11:46 PM »
Longwalker, one thing I AM looking for is the early cross hatched hammer.  I'll just use a later hammer until I find the right one.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 12:14:35 AM »
Longwalker -

I have been collecting a vast plethora of parts cheaply for over 20 years in anticpiation of retirement
and less cash to spend on such nonsense.

Thus I have a large collection of half-done projects, amongst which are all the assorted parts (less stocks) for 2
trapdoors, one sharps carbine, over a dozen 1858 remmies and 1851/1860 Colts, several percussion
double shotguns and over two dozen plains rifles ( and wacky assort ML barrels).

My intent for the trapdoor barreled actions is to cobble up a Gemmerized Trapdoor and an "Officers Sporting rifle" (not carbine)
trapdoor stocks, even replicas are priced too dear for my blood, thus I have a number of walnut and cherry blanks
drying in the shop...

we will see if familial health issues & etc permit the pursuance of said "best laid plans" or whether they will "gang aglay"

is the meantime I still have fun gloating over my hoard like the proverbial dragon, anf doing a little work at a time.

Worstcase, i can probably open my own mini online gunshow parts table....

yhs
prof marbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »
Some people just like their pigs gilded . . .
I prefer mine cured...
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 06:29:31 PM »
Like this?
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com