Author Topic: Personal artifacts - to use or not to use?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Personal artifacts - to use or not to use?
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:46:36 AM »
.......just posing this to gauge others feelings. There doesn't seem to be any issues with using firearms from another century. Some use original web belts or other accoutrements in their portrayals. In putting together an outfit for possible future pre WW1 EEM matches. I found a trouser belt and brass buckle my father had saved back from his WW2 service. Knowing my Dad, he'd say use it. No more use than it will see, I will. Just wondering how members of the group feel about things with personal connections? From looking at belt buckles, based on appearance it seems the basic buckle hasn't changed much from the last century or so.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
Re: Personal artifacts - to use or not to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
To me it would be a matter of pride to wear an artifact that some ancestor wore during his service.

We might only be "playing" soldiers within this sport of CAS, but to me it is a way of remembering and honoring history and those who served for real.

I would however not wear a helmet or other piece of equipment with a bullet hole through it, that obviously got a previous wearer killed....that would be bad taste, and frankly disrespectful.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »
My grandfather served in the China Burma India theater in WWII.  He brought home a pair of his old fatigue pants which resided in a drawer in the basement.  When I was in college, and with permission, I liberated them and wore them for hunting and ROTC Orienteering.  Before long they were shredded rags and went to the landfill.

I think it was far better to use them and wear them out rather than leaving them in a drawer for another 20 years before sending them to the same landfill.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:09:06 PM »

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
My grandfather served in the China Burma India theater in WWII.  He brought home a pair of his old fatigue pants which resided in a drawer in the basement.  When I was in college, and with permission, I liberated them and wore them for hunting and ROTC Orienteering.  Before long they were shredded rags and went to the landfill.

I think it was far better to use them and wear them out rather than leaving them in a drawer for another 20 years before sending them to the same landfill.

.....can relate to that. Regarding a lot of my Dads old gear. He was a medic and was wounded in WW2 then joined the Air Force reserve afterward. Then was activated and spent time at the airbase near Ft Benning during Korea.  He had an old duffelbag full of gear that my brother and I wore out playing Army. Much like my stepson did with my old gear. I feel the same about this belt buckle, it sat in an old footlocker forgotten. For better than 75 years. Best it sees the light of day and is put to use.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
My thoughts align with all of the previous posters.... be equipment , accessories or ....

I have several Milsurp's I have no qualms in shooting , one was my Dad's  :) 
Another, was the side arm of  Mr. William Roberts , whom I had the honor to meet. 

I'm proud to be the current custodian .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
It's the same safety rule about shooting, don't aim at anything you would not want destroyed.

Don't use anything you would not want to see destroyed.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »
.....thanks guys. Appreciate the input. When or if we get to share some dirt (maybe, maybe at the Grand Muster next year) at an EEM. I will proudly wear my Dads old service buckle.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »
I have and still do use originals in certain places.
That being said I don't see anything wrong with using the belt, so long as (like RCJ said) you recognize that by using it there is the possibility that it will be destroyed. If you can live with that by all means use it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
I have and still do use originals in certain places.
That being said I don't see anything wrong with using the belt, so long as (like RCJ said) you recognize that by using it there is the possibility that it will be destroyed. If you can live with that by all means use it.

....the belt itself, yes in it's fragile 75+ year old state is safely tucked back into it's resting place. Along with a trove of other items that belonged to my folks, my brother and my own items from the service. Funny how we look at these items with the starry eyes of youth.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 10:44:41 AM »
I wore my father's field jacket until it fell apart.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »
What I was saying was, I shoot the Guns, but don't abuse them ( I load for them and don't push them )

When I reenacted, I had and still have original pieces ,  I got second service from them  :) 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
.....doubt any of us that haunt this forum would intentionally abuse our guns or our other gear. Now, I will admit some things I have or have had saw some serious use. Reenacting was hard on stuff sometimes.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
One thing to consider is apart from a piece possibly being destroyed or damaged, it could fail right when you're relying on it.  A friend of mine had a rifle hit the ground when a 1905 sling decided to give up the ghost.  Stuff happens.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 04:18:22 PM »
I don't have any old family stuff like that.  Dad was in the USO in WW2 and had an old locker of stuff, but it all disappeared years ago.  Oldest family item I use is a blue tuxedo shirt my dad wore in the 60's when he played drums in a dance orchestra.  It is part of my banquet wear.   :)

Oh yeah, and on 4th of July matches I wear the stars and stripes shirt I bought in Mexico in '68.   Pretty faded and has seams that have been repaired several times.  I actually have the matching pants but they haven't fit me for about 25 years  ;D

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »
Some of the items I use ... particularly headdress badging and such ... are 19th centtury originals because the extremely limited demand for reproductions means there are simply no repros available.

These are all 19th century originals I have mounted on headgear ... the Queen's Own Rifles badge is particularly scarce, as it pre-dates 1882 when the name was changed to "Queen's Own Rifles of Canada" and unit insignia was altered to incorporate that full name ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
One thing to consider is apart from a piece possibly being destroyed or damaged, it could fail right when you're relying on it.  A friend of mine had a rifle hit the ground when a 1905 sling decided to give up the ghost.  Stuff happens.

......well, in this case. If this fails, the worst problem will be an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction.  Lol, I'm willing to risk it.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »

......well, in this case. If this fails, the worst problem will be an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction.  Lol, I'm willing to risk it.
Think about the scars the rest of us could incur!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »
I wore my father's field jacket until it fell apart.

Slim

I wore my own field jacket and boots until they fell apart. When I was a kid I remember wearing my dad's leggins from his Navy days. Still have them, but they won't wrap around my ankles anymore. Still have 2 sets of blues, and one of the whites. I probably couldn't even wear them as a kid, they are size 28 pants...and then he had "taken them in" by sewing up the back where the adjusting laces were.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
Interesting topic.  I have a bunch of my dad's and my USMC stuff.  I don't think I'd be allowed to shoot if I showed up in Woodland cammies. :o  I did let my boys use most of it up playing airsoft and paint ball.  My dad's stuff actually has some value, P41 utilities and Service Alphas.  I played pretty hard in that stuff as a kid....some got destroyed, some survived.  I'm not sure what to do with it.
GAF#379

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »
You might see if any local or other museums would be interested.  Some stuff is hard to find nowadays.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com