Author Topic: Holster Styles & Variations  (Read 100693 times)

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Holster Styles & Variations
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. This pattern was initially started because of a picture in one a my books of a double rig made for colt conversions that are in a museum somewheres but no date was given and the holsters were set up just like this with a concho and bleed knot just like this. When making this pattern I used some a Will G and some a Chuck Burrows and some a outrider and some a me to fill in the personal preference stuff a fella just has to include. I told ya that you guys are a bad influence on me.  ;D
This rig will have ho'made silver conchos on it when I get it finished. That is the plan anyways. :-\ I reckon we'll see what comes of it.

I like the quarter skirt name for these.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
Ya Done good Little Brother!

Here's a set of skirtless holsters I just re-finished to match the belt......I like the style a lot - sort of a best of both worlds approach - better grip on the belt with less flop than a Slim jim, but the grace and minimalist appeal of the SLim Jim.....

[edit:link to image lost]
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
HP,
 That is AWESOME, but I expect no less from you!! Your work is super neat, nice lines, love the design, Great Job.
One thing about it, when i get down because of my stupid back, I can come here a see something great and it helps me threw the day!
HP Thanks for sharing!

CB, as allways :o you just keep on rockin!!! I only hope I can make stuff like you guys do, even if it is the last day of my life, I will be able to go out of this world saying I DID IT!!

Yours guys and I do mean all of you, Inspire me so much! :) It has been a little slow on the board here lately, and I thought maybe everyone was on vaction!! I know why TW hasn't been doing much, he is hurting bad, but I think is going to get his Surgey real soon!
And I know that all you, are like me, you wish him a speedy recovery!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:43:22 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Another fine rig, Chuck. Truly outstanding work, as usual. I also like the simplicity of the design, it works well with the style of holster. Thanks for the pics.

I may have to re-think my next set of Slim Jims. Quarter skirt, skirtless, 49er. All descriptions of the same basic holster. Does anyone know when that style came into being?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
Marshall Will, it appears that these holsters started poppin' up around the late 1860's with the conversion Colt's and Remmies. I found the citation in Single Action Revolvers by Jack Lewis. I have had this book for years and I still like this style of holster. Just now gettin' around to makin' 'em up. If you have this book look at page 230 in the top left hand corner. It says under the picture,"Two - gun holster set is intended for a pair of Colt .44 Richards conversion revolvers. Slim Jim holsters are still in excellent condition, construction and fit."  I wish I could share the picture included for you fellas that don't have the book. However, I might add to this statement my own observations, that the holsters are hanging on a money belt. These may very well be later holsters built for an old die hard that kept using his conversions up into the 1880's. Heck, who knows fer sure.
That's a mighty fine example of this style Chuck. Beautiful work right there, buddy. I like them for the reasons you stated.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the information, X-pen. I don't have that book so I'll need to look for a copy. You may be right about the dating of the holster. After all, look at us, we're a good example of die hards using old stuff. ;D

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
You may be right about the dating of the holster. After all, look at us, we're a good example of die hards using old stuff. ;D

;D Ya have a good point there, Marshall.
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
MW, Hp, & others,
Isn't that part of what makes this so exciting? Is doing it the way our for fathers did!! Yes we have some big advantages but still if you get down to it, doing with everything you can make yourself is part of the fun!!
 It is so exciting to make a dye or make a tool or look at a pic form the 1800's and make it work!
 I am still a newbie and will be for a long time!! :) But when i make something look like the pic or close and I used my own stuff, I can look at it and say WOW I did THAT :o
 I am in no way in you Pards Class, but you all have taught me so much (just like raising a child) you all have taken me buy the hand and helped me long! And that is also a great part of this is having so many mentors willing to help!! Instead of bad mouthing a person work , you guys are the greatest because your honest, and in a nice manner you so a person little things that make there work better!! Anyone that can't take honest citastion (bad spelling) has a problem!! I want to know when I have made a mistake and correct it!

Thanks for being part of my life!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
One piece of provenance for this concept can be found in the Indian Wars military. Basically a "Slim Jim" type (modified from flap) holster with the back side folded backward and stitched/riveted to the pouch itself (sans loop) was submitted and called the "Gaston modification."

Evidence that this style was being created during the period. I have made several  holsters with that kind of belt attachment.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »
One piece of provenance for this concept can be found in the Indian Wars military. Basically a "Slim Jim" type (modified from flap) holster with the back side folded backward and stitched/riveted to the pouch itself (sans loop) was submitted and called the "Gaston modification."

Evidence that this style was being created during the period. I have made several  holsters with that kind of belt attachment.
Thanks for the information, Dave. Do you happen to have any photos or drawings of a holster with the Gaston modification?

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 07:38:58 AM »
Gaston modification, huh? Thanks Dave. I reckon these holsters are Gaston Quarter Holsters then? ;D

I'll look that Gaston fella up on the web.

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I did a search online but "Gaston" only netted a bunch of Glock stuff.

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
Well fellas....I just couldn't do it. I tried and tried and just didn't like it good enough to put a concho on my holsters. Saddles, headstalls, even spur straps, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it to a holster. Anyways......here's where I wound up. My other pistol that matches this'n will be here in another coupla weeks or so. Here's the finished holsters except more waxing.

Cheers,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »
Hey HorsePen,

Way cool!!  I'm having to lean back to keep the drool off of the keyboard! :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Don101

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »
very nice rig the spots set if off a treat and i love the color very rich and even, Don

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
OK, that rig is truly outstanding, X-pen. Fine work and a good idea to start with. The small amount of shiny on the dark leather is a great look. Just enough to bring it alive. What did you use for the color?

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »

::) :o Beautiful HorsePen, and Classy too, Well done Pard.  ::) 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »
Thankee boys a bunch for the good words. Marshall, I really don't know what I used specifically. It wasn't coffee or walnuts yet though. I used a mix of Fiebing's alcohol based dyes to make this color. Browns, Tans, and english Tan, all mixed up in a big milk jug. I soak the leather in it after I have it sewn up and that pretty well gets it all in the leather pretty even. I let it dry in the sun before I Hi-Liter it. Then sun it some more to make sure it is completely dry before I EVOO it. Still gotta wax 'em yet in a few days. I like to let the EVOO even out real good first.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »
 :o :o HP,
AWESOME Bud, they look out of this world!!!! :) As I stated earlier, I expect no less of your work! And everyone has there own thing! I see where you are coming from on the Concho's, they were a realy a 1800's practice to much degree! But I have to use them to give my stuff a little flare, Since I lack deeply in the art part of our great hobbie!
Just killer job!!

See Ya
Your friend
ACE

Now I know why you never came and saw me, is because I put concho's on my stuff :( :( :)
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
OK, X-pen, if I mix up all the partial bottles of different colors lying around, I'll have it. I can do that. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com