Author Topic: Cimarron's new American model!  (Read 78078 times)

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron's new American model!
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
Well Pathfinder the frame thickness is the same.  The length is the same.  Each grip panel is about 1/16” thicker.  Same as my Uberti and S&W Scohfield.  I like the thicker grip.  For what it’s worth my dark path of sin and ignorance is a well lit 4 lane freeway,you can find it no problem.  United States Mounted Rifleman riding into the sunset. The

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
U.S.M.R., thanks for the heads up on the grips. I also have both original American and Schofield, but for some unknown reason (according to the wife I'm just weird) the American always felt better in my hand. And while my Navy Arms Schofield is a nice piece, I have been really looking forward to the day the Americans came out. That and Forty Rod and I have been asking nicely for close to 25 years now. ;D

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »
I suppose the size of our hands has something to do with it.  Also it’s easier to remove a little wood than to put it on.

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 06:53:46 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
U.S.M.R.,

Is the grip 'frame' shape and outline similar to the original American?  Did they get that sort-of straight up and down radius to the gripframe, as a whole, not talking about the grip thickness?
Black River Smith

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
Looks like my original.  It has the same “feeling”.   As close as I’ve measured it’s the same, other than grips themselves are slightly thicker. 

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
SxS photos are needed, please.  :)

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2020, 04:57:05 AM »
? I don’t know how.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2020, 08:27:26 AM »
send me your photo...I'll gladly post them for you 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
More I don’t know how to do.  I just made the switch from the telegraph.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
LOL - U.S.M.R., don't feel bad. I'm right there with you on not understanding this computer-techno-internet stuff. I could type already andmy wife showed me how to use this dead, plastic mouse. Otherwise I'm lost.

I wanted to put a picture in my Avatar like other folks do, but first I had to learn it was called an "Avatar". Now that I know what to call it, I can't find anywhere that tells us ignorant souls how to put a picture there. Oh well, I'd have to have help finding then attaching (down loading?) the picture anyway. (smile)

Dave

Offline Snake River James

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
So how do you post pics on the forum now?  I haven't posted any in quite a while and can't find instructions anywhere.  Clicking on the pics icon wasn't helpful.  Do you have to use an imaging host?
I just got back from the range wringing out my new Uberti American and wanted to post about it.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
Imgur is good host

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2020, 07:43:04 PM »
So how do you post pics on the forum now?  I haven't posted any in quite a while and can't find instructions anywhere.  Clicking on the pics icon wasn't helpful.  Do you have to use an imaging host?
I just got back from the range wringing out my new Uberti American and wanted to post about it.

Look at the lower left of your >  Post Reply

See this > + Attachments and other options .... scroll down to  >  Attach: click on [ choose file ]

select the photo from your photo files ..and Bobs your Uncle  :)

you might have to downsize the photo ....
when planets align...do the deal !

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:54 PM »
Hi Major.  Tried that before and it didn't seem to work.  Tried again after you response and got a message the file is too large.  Will play with the images tomorrow and post along with a range report.  Thanks.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
Took the new Uberti to the range this morning. The pistol range was a little crowded so I didn't get to do a really thorough testing but still had some good results. The first target shows my smokeless .45 S&W load with a 225gr RFN bullet. Range was 10yds and the gun was shot one-handed. I did it this way to somewhat mimic CAS/SASS type shooting which I used to do. I was very pleased to see the gun shot to POA.
The second target, also at 10 yds, one-handed is my black powder .45 S&W load: a DD-ROA FLAT Big Lube bullet with my homemade bp lube over Goex FFFg, filling the case to give about 1/8" compression when the bullet is seated. These five shots were numbers 30-35 of a 50 round string I fired with no cleaning of the revolver. You will often hear that Uberti top breaks don't play well with black powder but I've found this combination to work pretty well. I had no problems of any kind with either load. I know 10 yds isn't much of a workout but as I said, the range was busy and I also wanted to somewhat duplicate a cowboy action scenario.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
Excellent report!  And good to know that it can be done with BP.  Seems big-lube bullets are the key to that for those who have had success.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Took the new Uberti to the range this morning. The pistol range was a little crowded so I didn't get to do a really thorough testing but still had some good results. The first target shows my smokeless .45 S&W load with a 225gr RFN bullet. Range was 10yds and the gun was shot one-handed. I did it this way to somewhat mimic CAS/SASS type shooting which I used to do. I was very pleased to see the gun shot to POA.
The second target, also at 10 yds, one-handed is my black powder .45 S&W load: a DD-ROA FLAT Big Lube bullet with my homemade bp lube over Goex FFFg, filling the case to give about 1/8" compression when the bullet is seated. These five shots were numbers 30-35 of a 50 round string I fired with no cleaning of the revolver. You will often hear that Uberti top breaks don't play well with black powder but I've found this combination to work pretty well. I had no problems of any kind with either load. I know 10 yds isn't much of a workout but as I said, the range was busy and I also wanted to somewhat duplicate a cowboy action scenario.

Offline paperchaser

• Retired
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 54926
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
Well as Coffinmaker stated, I own one of those 1872 Open Top that is strictly a 44Colt chamber.  A crimped 44Spl will go in but when I tried an empty new - resized 44Spl casing a good portion of the base did not seat.  Therefore, I was not going to chance-it.  Then about 3 years later I ran into several people stating that their OT's were 44Spl marked.  Well darn.  Oh well I only shoot 44Rus's in it anyways.

My comment earlier was also based on the fact that the Cimarron newer 44 Russian revolvers were offered in only 44Rus chambers (and others).  So I just took comments of (in 44Rus) as knowledgeable fact.

Wait now, let me digest this.  Are you saying that 44 Russian ammo can be "safely" fired in my Richards-Mason 44 Colt 8"?
SASS #54926
N.R.A. Pistol Instructor
Mississippi Peacemakers

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
Wait now, let me digest this.  Are you saying that 44 Russian ammo can be "safely" fired in my Richards-Mason 44 Colt 8"?

I have in mine.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »
Same bullet diameter, .429". Russian case is just shorter than the .44 Colt case. You might be surprised to find that a .44 S&W Special, a little longer than the .44 Colt case, will also chamber in your R-M cylinder.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com