Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 334157 times)

Offline harycalahand

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
The Cheyenne Social Club for one because of the story I  heard to go with it. Jimmy Steward complained that in the beginning of the movie he had all the lines and none for Fanda. So they added the part where "Harland" talk the whole way to Cheyenne. I do love the Eastwood movies esp. Outlaw Josey Whales, Paint Your Wagon. The eppic How the West was Won Also  I think The Man Man Who Shot  Liberity Vallance, It caused me to think on more than one leval.

Offline 65bsaA65

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »
My favorites...
     No. 1 would be Wayne's "Stagecoach", then, in no order; El Dorado, Liberty Valance, Sons of Katie Elder.  True Grit and Rooster Cogburn (I'd like to see 3 people load a Gatling on a bobbing ferry boat for real)!!!  Any John Wayne western.  Any Kirk Douglas western.  Evil Roy Slade!!!
     The "Sackett's" and any Selleck and/or Elliot movie.  Both "Support your Local" movies.
     Any Clint movie; but High Plains Drifter, The Unforgiven, and "Josey Wales" tied for Clint fave.
     Lonesome Dove.  Butch Cassidy.  The Wild Bunch.  Jeremiah Johnson.  Cat Ballou.
     2 movies I love but can't find:  McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Warren Beatty and Juliet Mills???) and
Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday (Lee Marvin and Oliver Reed gut bustingly funny)!!! 
     Two ain't westerns that are better than a lot of "real" westerns:  "Last Man Standing", and
"Bad Day at Black Rock".  "Bad Day" is one of the best movies I've ever seen.
      There's a bunch more I ain't got room for.  Funny, I'm not even into cowboy shooting; I'm just
a biker who likes to shoot black powder almost as much as I like my BSA.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline AZ Drifter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »
  1: Monte Walsh  -- Tom Selleck
  2: The Shootist  --  John Wayne 
  There is more with Tom Selleck ( The Sacketts) and others with John Wayne. Clint Eastwood is beter now than when he was young. ;D

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 12:08:01 PM »

22lr

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
Can't pick just one...

Liberty Valence
Winchester '73
Unforgiven - (Clint Eastwood Version)
Jeremiah Johnson

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
"Unforgiven" Is one of my favorites and "Open Range" too.
True, I also like John Wayne. But we need newer Westerns.

I have seen "Unforgiven" listed numerous times, my question is, which "Unforgiven"  the Clint Eastwood or the earlier one with Burt Lancaster, Audry Hepburn, and Audie Murphy?    My self I like the one with Burt and Audie best of the two.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline Law Dog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
Gotta' go with Tombstone, then Silverado, Outlaw Jossie Whales top 3 in any order but also love the Eastwood spaghetti western  series, Trinity series, Jerimiah Johnson, everything John Wayne (Cowboys least of all), etc just to name a few. Non-movie series has to go to GUNSMOKE, hands down!
Heck come to think of it I like'em all except "Joe Kidd."
Thanks for askin',
Law Dog

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »
Yep, "The Unforgiven w/ Bert& Audry seems to have been passed over, I especelly liked Bert's referance to the"pitiful small army" that helped them hold off the Indian attack.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2007, 08:53:21 PM »
Gotta' go with Tombstone, then Silverado, Outlaw Jossie Whales top 3 in any order but also love the Eastwood spaghetti western  series, Trinity series, Jerimiah Johnson, everything John Wayne (Cowboys least of all), etc just to name a few. Non-movie series has to go to GUNSMOKE, hands down!
Heck come to think of it I like'em all except "Joe Kidd."
Thanks for askin',
Law Dog

Yeah!!!!!! ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
The Missing , in its extended cut version, is my favorite Western. It's non traditional, and yet authentic. Plus all the actors are top notch.

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2007, 03:36:13 AM »
You know I may be the exception for my age (33) but I really like the 50's and 60's American westerns. I don't mind watching Spagetti westerns and own a few but the more I watch the old classics the more I like 'em. I watched the full How The West Was Won tonight on DVD and loved it! The lines down the screen didn't ruin it one bit, it was great. I am reading the Sackett books right now so a movie that follows a family is a shoe in to interest me but it's more then that. I just like the cleaner showing of the West and the bigger, more moral, heros shown in these movies. The "more realistic" (as far as movies go) Lonesome Dove or Unforgiven are still fun to watch but they don't bring the smile to my face that Rio Bravo or El Dorado does. Heck even Major Dundee was a treat, and it is far from a Ford western. I was even able to overlook the major historical (firearm and otherwise) issues of The Comancheros  (although you have to ask why they didn't just move it to after the Civil War?) and enjoy it, and that suprised me.

Well I don't have a favorite but any from that period are sure to put a smile on my face. I'm tempted to get one of the 1892s with a brass receiver just to emulate this era of westerns when I shoot B-Western....
Mild Myles

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »
65bsa: It was Julie Christie as Mrs. Miller.
One movie was "the Unforgiven." The other was just plain "Unforgiven." For the life of me I can never remember which was which.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
“The Unforgiven” was with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn.  “Unforgiven” was the one with Clint Eastwood.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline dakotaranger

• Citizen
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2007, 02:11:37 AM »
I'm a huge Duke fan, but my favorite western is the 1957 3:10 to Yuma.  I really like the psychological interplay between Van Heflin and Glenn Ford.
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

Offline Schofield

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

1. Open Range
2. Lonesome Dove
3. Unforgiven
4. Treasure of the Sierra Madre (semi western – great classic)
5. The Shootist
6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
7. Monte Walsh
8. The Outlaw Josie Wales
9. Shane
10. Hombre

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »
Josey Wales and Pale Rider.  The Magnificent Seven (and if you all haven't seen "the Seven Samurai" you should.  It's pretty durn good, and it basically is a Western, except they are carrying swords instead of pistols.  Kurasawa said he was heavily influenced by John Ford and his westerns).  Conagher.  Crossfire Trail.  Almost anything starring Tom Selleck or Sam Elliott.  Tombstone was pretty good.  Two movies that I have the most fun watching are Quigley Down Under and Silverado.  Both of which I can watch over and over.

My new absolute favorite?  Well, I just watched "Broken Trail", and it was quite outstanding.  I was most impressed!  ;)
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
I just looked over all ten pages of this thread and I am shocked.  SHOCKED. ;)

No one listed Dead Man, with Johnny Depp, Robert Mitchem, Billy Bob Thorton & Alfred Molina.

I didn't find it on the Least Favorite either. 8)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2007, 01:13:10 PM »
yEAH, WELL THAT MOVIE WAS KINDA OFF BEAT !
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »
Since I posted my list, I was diggin' thru my movies and found one that surprisingly, no has listed; and yet, I feel it was one of the best studies of a changing time and the men caught in the middle.  Tommy Lee Jones both starred and made his directorial debut in The Good Old Boys.  It was a made for TV (don't remember which) and is only available on VHS, but worth the money to buy or rent.  I'm keeping my copy and getting a friend to convert it to DVD so I don't have to worry about tape stretch.  It's loosely based on the book of the same name by Elmer Kelton.  It's still available from Amazon.com.  Yep, I think if you like westerns, you should have THIS movie.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
The man portraying the Sheriff in "The Good Ol Boys" is Jaquian Jackson, a retired Texas Ranger.  He was also the idea behind Nick Nolte's Texas Ranger character in the movie "Extreme Prejudice" with Powers Booth.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Badlands Walker

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »
I would have to say that my favorite movie to date would have to be Open Range.  I sure did like that new version of 3:10 to Yuma though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com