Author Topic: Rejoice with me!!!  (Read 3458 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Rejoice with me!!!
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »
I have been keeping my eyes open for a decent Victorian-era sword of "Rifles" pattern, for my collection and for use in my circa-1885  Queen's Own Rifles of Canada impression - fully expecting I would have to pay in the range of at least $400-$500 for something in reasonably good condition.

Well, tonight I did much better than I could have hoped in having the high bid in an eBay auction for what appears to be a very nice blade indeed!   
Incredible as it may seem, I succeeded in getting this sword for a mere US$206.16!!!!    :o  ;D
(Needless to say, my maximum bid amount was significantly higher than that ....  I am also particularly pleased that the vendor, who deals regularly in swords, has a 100% positive feedback rating, in over 4,400 transactions !)

Anyway, I can't  resist posting a few of the vendor's excellent photos of this prize ..... (click thumbnails to enlarge)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rejoice with me!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:55:58 AM »
Great deal and a beautiful sword  congratulations
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »
I have to say that Rattlesnake Jack cuts a dashing figure in his Black Watch uniform. This new sword will only make it better. Congrats to Jack. I am looking to seeing him again at the 2009 Muster.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:57:15 AM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »
Well done!  I have the artillery pattern - but would love a Rifle pattern.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
Don't shoot your eye out!! ;)
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
Don't shoot your eye out!! ;)

I think that would be poke yer eye out.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mulee Pete

• MuleePete,phd
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
That is a beauty!  Congatulations!  I was always schooled to never run with a blade.  So no jogging with it. ;D
Mulee
Saddler Sargeant GAF Department of the Platte, #521
SCORRS
CBQD #1
SASS Life #34368
USN Life (Ret.)

Keep track of your lustrums!

Silent Joe

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
Beautiful sword, Jack. Gongrets with it. A view weeks ago I bought myself a CSA Cavalry saber. Now I'm looking for a CS Cavalry-holster for my Colt SAA 7 1/2"barrel and Cavalry-gauntlets + a golden Officers Sword Knot.

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »
Congratulations, that's a beautiful sword and a great price.  It will certainly compliment your uniform.
Scout
8) 8)
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »
Cowtown Scout looks spiffy in his uniform that he wore at the SASS convention this year.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
Nothing like a nice sword to complete a uniform.
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »
Thanks to all you gentlemen for the kind words.  I am certainly a happy campaigner!  Indeed< I should clarify that the minimum of $400-$500 I had been anticipating I'd have to pay is the going price for a sword in poorer condition than this one.

I am doubly pleased to report that I have just returned from a day-trip to Calgary for a gun and militaria show, where I saw a Rifle officer's pattern sword in poorer condition than the one I just snagged (and of much later manufacture - 1939 - and thus having the '"king's crown" over the bugle-horn in the device on the guard, which is entirely inappropriate for a Victorian-era impression) laying on a sword dealers table there marked C$895! ( That is over US$750 at current exchange rates ....)

Texas Lawdog this sword is "incorrect" for my Black Watch impression .....  Indeed, unless you are referring to photos, I believe you have only seen me in my Queen's Own Rifles of Canada 'field' uniform, and my Black Watch 'undress' jacket and trews (which is what I wore to the banquet at Fort Hartsuff ....) 

Mind you only my natural diffidence and modesty .... ::) .... prevent me from agreeing wholeheartedly that I do, indeed, cut a moderatelyr dashing figure in Black Watch dress uniform - however, I already have the correct Highland Pattern officer's sword for that impression .....
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
Aye Sir, and your Canadian humility is matched only by that of a true Scotsman. Beautiful catch you have there and won like a true Scot bringing in the "LOWEST" price. Jack, do you know how the Grand Canyon was actually created? A Scotsman dropped a nickel down a gopher hole. It has to be true as it was told to me by me sainted mother when I was still a wee one.

See Ya at the Muster!
Capt. Montgomery Little, direct descendent of Eduard Lytille, Commander of Forces under William of Normandy and originator of Clan Little of the West March, Scotland,
CONCEDO NULLI

PS: the occupants of present day Normandy are not French, they merely speak the language out of courtesy.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Probably the self-same Scotsman who returned from the outhouse covered from head to toe in excement. 

When asked what happened, he replied: "Och, an 'a'penny fell oot m' sporran right doon the hole ....."

"Good Lord, mon, ye didna gae in there after naught but a wee 'a'penny, did ye?!?!"

"Nae ..... I wouldna do that!  I drapped in all m' other coin first!"

::)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com