Author Topic: Serial number question  (Read 707 times)

Offline Nlneff

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serial number question
« on: August 02, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »
I've always wanted a Spencer, and may finally be about to bite the bullet and buy one. I'm looking at a 1860 Carbine, serial number 34844.  I'm optimistic it may have seen some service in the last few months of the civil war.  Any information will be appreciated, and I understand that precise info is not available often.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Serial number question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 06:32:07 PM »
The closest serial # I found in my SRS books to your # 34844 is #34866, a Spencer Carbine issued to Company I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry in June, 1865.  I looked through my four SRS books, and that is the best I can give you.  Hope you read my Serial Number Disclaimer on the SSS Home Page.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Nlneff

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 07:14:22 AM »
Understood and thank you.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:30:40 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
I don't have any proof, but the 7th Cav had both the M1860 and the M1865 Spencers issued to different companies in Kansas territory right after the CW. Not sure what ammo was issued, but the .56-50 could be fired in the larger diameter barrels of the .56-56 that the M1860 was chambered for. The '60 carbines had a tapered bore that had the groove diameter decrease from .545 to .538" from the breach to the muzzle.  Accuracy probably wasn't too bad with the .515" softer lead bullets backed by black powder. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »
Trailrider,
   You have it backwards, you can fire a 56-56 out of a 56-50 with no harm or real change in accuracy, but not the other way around. Though a 56-50 will fit and fire from an 1860, the bullet will go anywhere but we’re you are aiming, though it may be good for shooting around corners. Ask me how I know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com