Author Topic: New to me Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army Richard's conversion in 44 Colt (Jay Strite)  (Read 957 times)

Offline C. Note

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 2029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Hello Friends,
I have just acquired this Colt 2nd Generation 1860 Army Richard's Conversion to 44 Colt - Heeled. During my research, I was told that
this revolver, with additional "437" stamped next to serial numbers and major assemblies, was made by Jay Strite.

If you look closely, it has a proper Richard's Conversion Ring, that encloses around the breech of the cylinder. I have NEVER seen this
conversion Ring on any other Richard's reproduction, thus my desire to acquire it.

I am almost ashamed for what I'm having to pay for this, but it was an auction and a unique item.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125

:) C. Note  ;)

Certainly appears to be one of Jay's guns.  Really really nice '60 Richards repro.  I just happen to be a real Conversion Hound.  Don't feel too terrible what the tariff is on your acquisition.  Jay's guns wern't cheap when he was building 'em.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
That's a terrific score, CN. Congrats. That conversion ring really makes it special.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Mine was made by Kenny Howell in 1997
At the time, he had made several for Tom Selleck's Last Stand at Saber River.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Sure is a beautiful revolver.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline C. Note

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 2029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Had R&D Gun Shop convert a Remington Navy to 38 Long Heeled, back in 1996. Have, in the last couple of years,
started playing with it, again. It is full nickel plated. I want to restock it with faux-Ivory grips. Before I had to deploy
for work, I was working on a lined case for it, a Remington Pocket Revolver w/conversion cylinder and a Remington style
Double Derringer.

Also have a John Gren converted Rem. NMA

Mine was made by Kenny Howell in 1997
At the time, he had made several for Tom Selleck's Last Stand at Saber River.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Who made the grips for the Last Stand revolver? I am trying to immulate it. This is my first attempt. I have another one I am working on that I want different looking ivory grips.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
I believe Kenny Howell made them...

However, these on my Type 2 were made by Larry Little aka "Gripmaker"

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125

:) Hey Pappy  ;)

How much you wanna spend??  Big Bucks for "Custom" ??  Or Budget ??  NC Ordanance make a nice budget one piece (glueing required) Army grip set that's quite reasonable.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Gripmaker is what are on my gun now. Was a little unhappy about how much work they needed. Probably will go with him again. Weren't a bad price.

Offline Cheyenne Logan

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5269
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Nice gun C. Note! saw that one, actually had a bid on it, but it went out of my league! Same seller had a Thin Plate 1858 Remington, and I managed to snatch that one with a bid I was sure I was going to loose! Shot it the other day and it's a tack driver! Hope yours shoots as good as it looks!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com