Author Topic: CONVERSIONS ANYONE ??  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
CONVERSIONS ANYONE ??
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »
 :) Hey There Hi There Ho There  ;)

Actually, the title should be "Conversions Everyone??"  I've been know to be infected with Conversionitis.  I just plain like conversions of 19th Century Cap Guns, Colt Pattern.  I've not been able to find a cure.

Of late, I have been playing with a pair of Pietta 1860s, which I converted to Suppository Shooters, with Kirst Konverter goodies.  I actually started with this pair of guns way last year.  Utilizing Kirst Konverter conversion goodies.  Consists of a Recoil Plate with Loading Gate and a 45 Colt Cylinder.  This conversion is almost a "Drop In."  A loading channel must be cut in the OEM Recoil Shield for loading and unloading.  VORSICHT!!  Once you have cut the loading channel, you have manufactured a firearm per BATFE.  Perfectly legal to do so for yourself.  Perfectly illegal to do so for someone else.  Disposal can be problematic.

The conversions have done very well in CAS match play.  I'm really happy with the result.  Recently however, there has been a really nifty development from Walt Kirst.  Kirst Konverter has released a new Cylinder, chambered in 45 ACP.  Absolutely the BIZ.  I've been playing with both the .45 ACP cartridges and Cowboy 45 Special in this nifty new cylinder.  It gives us some really outstanding versatility.  Lots more loading/reloading options.  The 45 ACP cartridge is legal CAS tender for all categories except Classique Cowperson.  Classique requires a rimmed cartridge.  Cowboy 45 Special anyone??  Perfect application.

The short chamber with long throat eliminates the "jump" between the case mouth and the throat for both 45 ACP and C45S rounds.  Improves accuracy and reduces leading.

Right along with this new cylinder, Kirst has also introduce a new Two Step hand.  The new hand eliminates the the conversion not quite locking into battery when slow cycling the action.  Almost "Drop In" and takes just a tiny bit of fiddling although most will actually drop in.  A really Trix wire Hand Spring on the two stepper will also be "bullet proof."  Also quite easily changed to Coil Spring and Plunger.

When assembled, it is important to pay close attention to Barrel to Cylinder Gap.  With cartridges in the gun, Barrel to Cylinder gap should be held to .003 or .004 to insure positive engagement of Hand To Star.

Dearly Beloved, Let Us Play!!!

PS:  Tuolumne Lawman has posted some excellent Tin Types of his Kirst conversions and there are some of mine somewhere too (I just don't remember where)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: CONVERSIONS ANYONE ??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 06:30:04 PM »
Remington Navy (small frame) with R&D conversion cylinder, Leech & Rigdon with an R&D conversion cylinder, 1851 Richards-Mason Navy factory conversion, 1851 Navy (unported) with Kirst conversion cylinder . . .
that's the only thing I shoot is conversions. Richards-Mason takes .38spcl, all the rest use .38LongColt.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 07:31:32 PM »
ASM 1860 Richards .44 Colt (Bought new, 1st year they came out, hung on to it)
Cimarron 1860 Richards 2 44 Colt
Cimarron Richards Mason 1851 7.5" 38 spl
Taylors Richards Mason 1851 5" 38 spl

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:43:14 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 07:53:26 PM »

:)  Allrighty Now   :D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 09:30:52 PM »
5 '51 Richards-Masons (two 4 3/4", two 5 1/2" engraved, one 7 1/2").  Two 5 1/2" Type II's, a '61 and '60.  One 7 1/2" '61 with Kirst and ejector.  All .38's except the .44 Spcl '60.  I shoot conversions about 90% of the time. 

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 09:43:08 PM »
Howdy converters,

I have an 1872 Open top. I know that it isn't technically a conversion. I love it and in my defense, I also have an ancient 1851 conversion in .38 S&W, a New Model Army in .45 Colt as well as a 3rd model Dragoon conversion (very heavy) in .45 Colt.

Rev. Chase

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 01:35:07 AM »
Some call us conversion aficionados "Conversionistas" on the eastern banks of the Big Pond.
My regular match combo is a pair of custom RM converted Colt 1861 Navy replicas, .38 Long Colt cal. when I am competing in the Cattle Baron cat.
In Classic Cowboy I either use a pair of Centaure Long Cylinder Conversions (LCCs) with 4" barrel or a pair with 5,5" barrels, caliber is .44 Colt.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:35:39 AM »
Yes!! Conversions!!  My first one was a "setup " by my favorite gun shop.  I had money down on an ASM Navy. I called and told um I'd be by and pick it up and when I got there, they had this cool thing called a conversion kit  .  .  . "Public Defender" I think is what it was called.  They said they "figured " I'd be interested in it  .  .  .  ( reminds me of P.T. Barnum .  .  . one born every min.!!)!! COURSE I WAS!  So, I left with the Navy and the kit!!  ( turns out P.T. was right!!)  This was about 1988 give er take. Anyway,  after hundreds and hundreds of shots fired and not being able to  figure a way to make "fatter" bullets, I gave up on it and put the cap cyl back in it .  .  .  it was a Tack Driver!!! Haven't had another ".38" since!!!! ( THERE Mr. Barnum!!! Lol)
 Fast forward to 2011 /12  I "rediscovered " conversions  . . . in 45C for .44's  (this I understood!!!)!!!  So, my  brand new Whitneyville and 1st Model Dragoons became 45 Dragoons with Kirst gated conversions, followed by an Army(P), then a Remington(P) with a Howell 6 shot drop cyl, then a another  Army (P), an another Rem(P) with gated 5 shot cyl.( Equalizer from Kirst) an then a pair of Cimarron sourced Army's (U) one in .45C and the other in .45acp!!   They're all a HOOT !!!

Mike

Dang!!! Forgot my ROA's !!! All 4 have 45C SS Kirsts!!
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:49:49 AM »
I enjoy the conversions. I only have a few at the moment. I have four 51 Navy Conversions ( two 5.5 and two 7.5 in barrels) but want to add more in the near future. They are my favorite style of gun although I do have a pair of factory Cimarron Remington Sheriff Conversions that can be switched back and fourth to cap and ball.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »

:)  Absolutely  ;)

Wolf, I gotta love it!!  Conversionistas Unite!!  At one time I had 11 of the ASM Conversions.  Shot two of them as my Main Match guns for years and used the rest of them as a "Parts Repository" to keep the primary two running.  Now I "Roll My Own." 

Colt pattern Open Top conversions are my all time favorite Guns you betcha!!

Conversionistas we ARE!!

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 06:43:38 AM »
Yeeehaw, Conversionistas.
My first one was an ASM 1860 in .44 Colt.
That one started the conversionitis.
There is no cure but a temporary relieve by liberating another conversion.
Nice disease, ha.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 08:59:33 AM »

YessSireeBob

Those conversions from ASM were absolutely GORGEOUS!!  Not exactly authentic, as they were more of an 1861 (Colt didn't convert 1861s) and the only thing that made them an "1860" was the Army pattern Grip Set.

Mine were .38 Special and were the most accurate revolvers I have ever owned.  Those guns would reliably shoot all six rounds into a ragged cloverleaf at 25 meters.  I was heartbroken by the almost complete lack of quality control.  Such a shame.

lay Safe Out There

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:57 AM »
As someone who's never owned a conversion, or fired one, I'm curious if they play well with black powder?

Dave

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 10:09:00 AM »
Mine, the trigger, bolt and cam were eventually replaced with Colt SAA parts.   I've got a hand waiting to eventually go in, but it doesn't get shot much now.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »
Mine work great with BP.  That's all they see.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 05:55:35 AM »
I have a few Piettas. They are lots of fun.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 08:53:03 AM »

:)  Dave T  ;)

As been mentioned (piling on), conversions play quite well with Black Powder.  One must be mindful of the Barrel to cylinder gap but BP and APP are the only propellants mine have ever seen.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 10:17:05 AM »
A pard from the German FROCS won the Frontier Cartridge cat. two weeks ago with a pair of Nedbal-ASM Tucker & Sherrard Dragoons fitted with drop-in conversion cylinders in .45 Colt.
Conversions are the way to go!
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 11:02:31 AM »
There is no cure, only treatment. Which is just more guns. :D

Top, I started out with the Cimarron Open Top not-a-conversion. Then I had it fitted with TruIvory, then I had it engraved, then I had it fitted with real ivory. Center, then came the 1860 Type II, which got the Open Top's ivory. It is now a full fledged project gun. I had Jack Huntington cut the barrel to 5.5", the grip frame is on the way back with giraffe bone fitted and then it goes to the engraver. Bottom, factory 1851 Richards-Mason.

Then came the Dragoon with Kirst gated conversion.

Then there was this failed attempt, resulting in a non-functioning wall hanger.

Then I got the fever and added several more. Starting with this 1860 Type II .38, converted into a pseudo 1861 Navy.

One night I snagged both this Open Top .44Spl.....

.....and this 1851 conversion built off a Uberti percussion gun but with a relined barrel.

In dealing with the above failed attempt, I learned that the Kirst parts fit the older Piettas better than the new ones, so I've also aged my older Pietta 1860 that will receive another Kirst gated conversion as soon as I cut the loading port.

This week I've received two more older Pietta's that will also get converted. An 1860 and an 1851, both .44's.
SASS #81,827

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
Beautiful revolvers CraigC !!

You're going to need a Whitneyville Dragoon in 44Mag !!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com