Author Topic: Okay, back up gun and reliabilty question  (Read 2183 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Okay, back up gun and reliabilty question
« on: July 29, 2021, 06:45:16 PM »
Okay, time to pick the collective brain trust [hereafter referred to as the CBT for convenience]. I have 3 well running .45 Colt sixguns to rely on. One is an Uberti 1860 Army Conversion Open Top 5 1/2" barrel. The other two are Schofields one a 5" and the other 7". All three have been reliable and accurate, the only complaint being the 7" Schofield causing me to go to a Buscadero rig due to holstering/unholstering the beastie. I am going to try running the 5" pair in a few matches to see which set up I prefer, 2 Schofields or the "Rafe" pair.
So my question to the CBT is: How often does a gun crash and burn in matches? Is it worth keeping the third gun or should I consider trading/selling the 3rd to fund another gun?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Okay, back up gun and reliabilty question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:29 PM »
Howdy Deacon.  First off, on the long barrel holstering, have you tried cross-draw?  Mucho easier.  And there is cavalry twist, though not everyone likes that.  In recent years I've gotten a few holsters that have a but of a muzzle forward cant, and by sliding the holster a bit closer to midline instead of directly on the side, it makes it a LOT easier with the longer barrels.  It looks just a bit gamy compared to authentic stuff, but lots better than buscadero (personal opinion and choice, obviously).

On to the query of reliability.  This is obviously a YMMV situation, but in over twenty years I think I've had a gun go down about once, that I can recall.  That one time was a '61 Uberti with a Kirst conversion, and the hand spring broke at the loading table.  I shot that stage by pointing the pistol down each time I cocked it.  I never carry backups, but it just so happened that I had my brand spanking new charcoal blue 7th cavalry in the car since I was planning to pop off a few rounds with it after the match.  So I finished the match with that.  Anyway, maybe I've just been lucky. 

But I also never sell a gun just to buy another.  If it is a gun I don't use at all or don't like, well that's different.  But with my philosophy I now have half a dozen or so sets of guns to use.  It's all about priorities.  Now, being single with no kids doesn't hurt that situation. :) 

I don't want to be like Tuolomne Lawman.  He keeps showing us these cool guns, and then all of a sudden he is selling one to afford another!  Of course, you can only shoot one pair at a time, but still...  ;D

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 08:36:52 PM »
Thanks Abilene, now that I am fully retired, trading or swapping unfortunately helps with price. I thought about crossdraw, but there are too many second helpings in the way! I have been debating about adding .38 Special to the herd with the ammo crunch and it would require trading or selling some other guns to afford it. By parting with the 7" I could pick up the rifle for the .38 and just need one more revolver. However, now that we are seeing the improvements in ammo & components, the need for .38 is not great. SO I am trying to figure out if it is worth adding the .38s or better off sticking with my .45s. I also have a full set up for 44-40 to fall back on as well.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:02 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:18:52 AM »
In the last 6 weeks we have seen an increase in ammo and components at decent prices.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »

:) MY TURN  :D  MY TURN  ;D

HI Deacon!!  Welcome to being fully retired.  You will now wonder how on earth you ever had the time to go to WORK (4 letter wurd).

There is no really "good" answer to your question.  I've played the CAS game for about 30 years.  Never needed a "Back-Up) until a week and a half ago.  And . . . . O knew the gun was flaky before I left home.  Just crossed my fingers.  I have never previously needed a "back-up"

If your guns are well maintained and not beaten to hell and back, they will run reliably near forever.  There is the occasional spring failure, once in a blue moon.  Guns are mechanical and are subject to Murphy.  Has to be your call.  Were it I, and I were comfortable with the guns I have, I would, if needed, trade and sell.  I have done that several times inna past.

A suggestion for your 45s.  Consider Cowboy 45 Special cases, running Barnstormer bullets, you powder of choice.  Lower recoil means less wear and tear on the guns.  Funnerer too.  Again, your call.

I happen to prefer 45s.  I have 38s.  I seldom shoot them and currently have a pair of Uberti 1851 Conversions on the market.  Just sat inna safe for 8 - 10 years.

People are Still Hazardous to yer Health

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 06:05:51 PM »
Ah My Good Deacon

In general, I am always concerned that Murphy will raise his ugly head, and subscribe to
"Two is one and one is none" .... Sort of mostly. Especially with C&B pistols.

But with modernisch well made suppository pistols, rifles and shotguns, I am with Coffin.
Not to mention one can oft' avail themselves of the kindness of others in this game who are so
Generous as to offer up one of theirs in the event of an unfortunateness!

Yhs
Prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 11:26:42 PM »
I've had two pistols "crash and burn"  during matches.  Both Uberti/Taylors Running Irons.  Both had the trigger bolt fail.  For simplicity, all of my guns are .45 Colt.  I shoot Cowboy .45 Special in all of my guns including rifles.  Simple.  Same primers, same bullets, same load.  My main match pistols are now Old Model Vaqueros.  I have one backup I take to matches with me.  I also have a spare pair of Uberti/Taylors Running Irons.  All 5 guns are 5 1/2 inch barrels.  All 5 guns are set up with similar grips, sights, etc.  Though the OMVs have had quite a bit more action work.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »
Never had an issue with any of my Vaqueros back when I competed heavy. I never carried a backup vaquero  though I had them. Have had ejector/ extractor issues on shotguns but never carried any extra guns. Too much hassle.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
anymore, the shoots that appeal to me , NCOWS,     * Musters or BAMM * (* appealing but yet to attend one *)
are a road trip and a half  +  :o
Like over night travel distances both ways .....So , I'm obliged to take a  back up....

Imagine, arriving and Murphy was also attending
(  "If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong" . ...
or " If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a match can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

and/or it will RAIN !  ask and I'll tell you how I KNOW !

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »
I forgot my historically correct carpetbag with all my ammunition once...
The "backup" or extra ammunition was, of course in the carpetbag.

Yhs Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline DeaconKC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 05:11:54 PM »
I had just about decided to stick with the .45s and my LGS calls today and has a .38 Conversion from Taylor's coming in Wed or Thursday! Octagon barrel even...
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 05:47:09 PM »
99%  guesstimate on my part , from Taylors ?  = Uberti   
Pietta does not make a conversion.

However, that said , Taylor's is the sole licensee & distributers  of Kenny Howells drop in's 
and the Taylor's in house 'smith fits them ( in Pietta's )  and they are sold as a set ...

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
... LGS calls today and has a .38 Conversion from Taylor's coming in Wed or Thursday! Octagon barrel even...
That would make it a '51 conversion.  I think you would like it.  ;)

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 07:52:47 PM »
I have posted these photo befores, perhaps this thread warrants its reresection..

My revolver started life as a Pietta 1861 London model , Heritage edition.
As new in box it was cut to 3" and reprofiled into an avenging angel.
Then fitted with a Kirst gated conversion , tuned & nitrate blued .   
A 1851 barrel was shaved of all Italian marks , relined to .357 and  nitrate blued.

That allows a conversion from  3" ( also shaved of Italian marks ) to 7 1/2 " at the tap of the wedge.

Truth be told, the journey was more costly than an over the counter factory conversion, but it is unique  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com