Author Topic: Cut off date for shotguns?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline HKUriah

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cut off date for shotguns?
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »

Out of curiosity more than anything else, and assuming that the cut off date of pre-1950 applies to shotguns the same as rifles and pistols, would the Remington 870 be legal, as it was introduced in 1949.

I ask mostly out of curiosity.  I already have 3 97's, 1 93/97 and an 87 Winchester, and I absolutely plan to aquire a Model 12.

But, I just want to know what is at least theorectially allowed.

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cut off date for shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
An interesting question, of course, the following is just my opinion.  I can't determine if the 870 was actually for sale in 1949 or if it was designed in 1949 and first sold after 1950.  If it was not available before 1950 than the literal interpertation of the rule is no;if avaailable in 1949 then the answer would be yes.  In either case it is very close to the cutoff.

There is also the question of costume and persona, for the late 40s "Bugsey Segal" era, later wapons would be appropiate, for the early 30s or 20s, much less so.  But the focus is really on fun and not strict historical accuracy.  I myself, used a Thompson 1927A1, M1911A1, and an Ithaca M37 trench gun ( a WWII style military shotgun) as my Win model 12 was at the gunsmith.  The Ithaca, while keeping with the rules, did not really fit my persona. I should add that a shotgun is not required at this time for Zoot shooting.

For the rifle side match, I used an M1 Garand since it was the only pre 1950 rifle I had fired in the last 6 months. I plan to replace it with a U.S. M1917 rifle as I want to shoot a period bolt action rifle.    For the pocket pistol, I used a 1938 vintage Walther PPK, an available but uncommon gun in the 1930s.  Next time I plan to use a Colt 1903 in lieu of the Walther.

So the best answer is to bring guns, experiment, and have fun.  I like Zoot shooting because it gives me the opportunity to do more than plink with some great vintage firearms, i doubt i will ever have a "set" of gus, I'll always be switching around.  An expert on both guns and Zoot shooting is G-man. 
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4916
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
I asked the same question and finally called Remington. The 870 did not start shipping until Spring of 1950. I've got a totally reliable 870 I wish I could have used.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:21:06 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »
I wondered about the magic of 1950, until I realized that this post was imported from the Zoot board.

BTW; I am old enough that I wore strides in highschool!  8)

I am pre-1950.  Does that count for anything?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
I wondered about the magic of 1950, until I realized that this post was imported from the Zoot board.

BTW; I am old enough that I wore strides in highschool!  8)

I am pre-1950.  Does that count for anything?

Thanks.  Otherwise the post made no sense as he didn't specify cut off date for what.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com