Author Topic: How are you fixed for primers, powder etc?  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
How are you fixed for primers, powder etc?
« on: December 30, 2020, 07:17:07 AM »
I have about 4000 primers including about 300 rounds loaded. I'll make it through the cowboy season at 3-4 shoots a month from April-Nov. No live fire practice though!

How ya'll fixed for the shooting season?
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: How are you fixed for primers, powder etc?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:03:03 AM »
I have a few small pistol primers, and a handful of large. I have enough cartridges already loaded to get us through the coming season, one shoot per month for 5 or 6 months provided we do very little practicing.

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
I'm experimenting with some older powders... promo and red dot... my load books are newer so I am using data from other forums... anyone have good 38 data for 158 casts?
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:20:54 PM »

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »
I did not stock up and am almost out  <50 left.
Scouts Out!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »

:)  Ah Well   ;)

Betwixt and Between.  Dividing between Large Primers for Pistol and Large Primers for Shotgun (there different) and Small Pistol and Caps, I can make it for "most" of the coming season.

Fingers crossed the supply begins to catchup (Trader Joe's) to demand before I run dry.

Happy New Year Rye!!!  Looking forward to a MUCH MUCH better 2021.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »
I've been working on a 5lb. jug of Trail Boss for the last couple of years. (2020 was a "lost" year, I did not shoot at all.) I have one lb. of Black, and two lbs. Triple 7.
Enough primers to get me through this coming year, and even though all of my .36cal BP revolvers have a conversion cylinder, enough caps to easily switch back and forth between cartridge and loose powder and ball if the mood strikes me.

There's a definite advantage to shooting only .38spcl in both revolvers and rifle. Only one type of primer needed, and components last a bit longer when rolling my own. I sold my hammer shotgun for parts when NCOWS inaugurated Working Cowboy, one of their 2-gun stages offered, and never looked back.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »
I'm experimenting with some older powders... promo and red dot... my load books are newer so I am using data from other forums... anyone have good 38 data for 158 casts?

My wife shoots .38 special. I load them with 4 grains of Trail Boss, using home cast 158 grain LRN. Rifle and 6 shooter

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:36:38 PM »

:)  It's Complicated  ;)

My rifles are either .45s or 44s (Russian) Large Pistol needed.  My handguns are 38s (conversions) Small Pistol Needed and .45 conversions, Large again.  The majority of my Main Match Pistols are .44 Cap Guns and several .36 Cap Guns.  SO:

I need to keep a stock of EVERYTHING!!  NO EASY WAY OUT!!  Let us all cross out fingers and toes for the supply chain to catchup (Trader Joes . . Yum).

People are Hazardous to your Health
Stay Safe

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
Some loaded ammo for my .44-40 and .45 Colts and 2K of primers and powder. This will get me through a few months. Shotgun ammo is sketchy, but they are a little easier to find [I hope].
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
Shooting my usual every weekend, I have enough loaded for about 6 months.  And enough components for the rest of the year, maybe longer.  Last few years I've gone from shooting the big bore mostly to .38's mostly, whether smokeless or BP.  At some point I would have to go back to shooting more 44/45 than .38 since those are the primers I will have left.  I don't reload smokeless shotshells, been buying the AA Featherlights.  Have enough of those for 6 months.  I have been buying them at Walmart for $7.97 a box for a long time.  Only a few Walmarts carry them, but those do restock them.  However, haven't seen any of those on the shelf in a good while, either.  I do see the heavier AA's.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
Got enough rounds loaded for the next 6-7 months if I shoot every weekend. Plenty of primers and powder. I may shoot some C&B just to conserve pistol primers.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »
I have plenty of powder, lead and cases.  But, no primers. :-[
Scouts Out!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »
Got enough supplies. What I don't seem to find time for is reloading. Got about 500+ fired .44-40 brass on the loading bench.  Been there for about a year-and-a-half! Oh, well, by the time I get them loaded I hope to get the vaccine and there'll be local matches to shoot at!
Stay well and safe, Pards!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »
I hope no one is desperate enough to play Cowboy that they give in and pay scalpers price of .30 PER PRIMER! (G.B. $300 brick) I understand free enterprise and supply and demand but charging nearly 10X "normal" price almost seems criminal.

I hope Kharma is a bitch for said scalpers!

Mike
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 08:30:00 AM »
I hope no one is desperate enough to play Cowboy that they give in and pay scalpers price of .30 PER PRIMER! (G.B. $300 brick) I understand free enterprise and supply and demand but charging nearly 10X "normal" price almost seems criminal.

I hope Kharma is a bitch for said scalpers!

Mike

My fear is that those "scalpers" somehow have an inside track and are able to buy primers BEFORE we know they are available. If that is what is happening, the scalpers can just keep them.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 08:32:12 AM »
I just scored 1000 small pistol primers so I've got about 5000 now, I'm good for the year! 8)
Northeast Ohio

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
I just scored 1000 small pistol primers so I've got about 5000 now, I'm good for the year! 8)

Hey Rye, that's a great score these days!  I know that whatever deal you got is long gone, but I'm curious if it was in a gunshop, box store, trade, or ?

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
It was a trade with a pard, I had some LPP that were pretty old and we did a trade. My sons have also scored me 500 more primers from a LGS. You gotta be quick!! ::)
Northeast Ohio

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
It was a trade with a pard, I had some LPP that were pretty old and we did a trade. My sons have also scored me 500 more primers from a LGS. You gotta be quick!! ::)

"Gotta be quick" Good advice, but none of my local gun stores carry reloading components so my only choice is online retailers, where you need to be even quicker.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 07:21:19 AM »
My two sons have scored me another 800 SPP. things are looking good!! There's a big local chain here that has been putting out primers everyday, 100 limit to each customer. Both my son's have been going in everyday and getting 100 at a time. They both live within 10 minutes from the store. I'm 25 miles away.
It's great to have good sons looking out for Pops!!  ;D
Northeast Ohio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com