Author Topic: Matterson did it. Do you?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Matterson did it. Do you?
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:48 AM »

One of the orders Bat Masterson sent to Colt asked for a higher front sight and "very Easy on the trigger".

During the course of his lifetime Bat ordered a total of eight revolvers from Colt that we know of. The one in this discussion was from Dodge City and written on Opera House Saloon stationary in July 1885 which stated:

Gents
Please send Me one of your nickel plated short .45 calibre revolvers. It is for my own use and for that reason I would like to have a little Extra pains taken with it. I am willing to pay Extra for Extra work. Make it very Easy on the trigger and have the front Sight a little higher and thicker than the ordinary pistol of this Kind. Put on a gutta percha handle and send it as soon as possible, have the barrel about the same length that the ejector rod is.

Truly Yours
 W B Masterson
 P.S. Duplicate the above order by sending 2

Anyone that shoots in dim light or has used black powder likely understands the reasoning behind nickel plate and a bigger front sight.  Same still works wonders in similar conditions 130 years later.

But how many here are shooting a custom trigger pull?  Colt and US Army Ordnance specs were and still are 3.5 to 5#.   Some written accounts of Masterson doing trigger jobs on his SAA at the  Opera House Saloon tables as well.  Have to wonder what he was looking for his personal own guns for a trigger pull.

Never seen a Colt Factory gun, even unaltered 1st gen guns with a a 3.5# trigger.  My personal guns are all @ between 2.25 and  2.5# on a NRA trigger scale measured with the bar in the middle of the trigger.  No take up and no creep.  The trigger break is like a glass rod snapping.  I am using standard Wolfe flat springs.  And never taken any material off the hammer cock notch on any maker's gun.  Nothing fancy.  Never had a SAA that was as good as the USFA triggers, everything else being equal.   And I do have some nice Colts.   

Which makes me curious as to what weight trigger pull you are using and why?  Or if you care?

Colt's SAA. product model 1841,  a common Masterson choice @ one point in life.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Matterson did it. Do you?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
Whatever came out of the box. I do carry a SAA frequently and experience has shown me that, given the excitement of a fight, I'm better served with a trigger that doesn't let off to easily. I've seldom shot at anyone father than 15 yards away and if I were to be shooting at a distant target then maybe I'd want a lighter trigger.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »
Interesting perspective Mr. Franklin.  Thank you for that.  Carried a 1911 for almost a decade in LE.  First scape that involved some wrestling with my gun in hand and then eventually snapping off the thumb safety with deadly intention made me rethink a 4# trigger, which I had bumped to 5# the next day.  I shot that 5# trigger until I left.

I carry a SAA for self defense on occasion now in my low threat environment.   I'll not cock the hammer till I was ready to pull the trigger.  Not because I use or fret a light trigger but because of the way the SAA operates an its lack of a mechanical margin for error.   

But I certainly don't begrudge your choice or reasoning.  Just food for thought on my part.  Be an interesting discussion as well.

Always thought the only real safety on a 1911 or a SAA IMO was between your ears anyway.  That and the ability to articulate to a judge and jury or IA why you pulled the trigger in the first place :)
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:11:32 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com