Author Topic: Hell On Wheels  (Read 37562 times)

Offline Lead Zeppelin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hell On Wheels
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
Every time they have a scene with the preacher, all I can think of is the creepy preacher, Henry Kane from Poltergeist II

So - I guess we can assume that Swede gave Bohannon back his G&G after he gets the new job??

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

So - I guess we can assume that Swede gave Bohannon back his G&G after he gets the new job??

Naaaaahh...the prop department has plenty, they hand them out like candy...

~Mako

I actually wondered the same thing.
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »
Just wanted to say a bit about the leads southern accent. Actually, it's just about right. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the south talks like Foghorn Leghorn. I feel as if I'm listening to one'a the guys down at the store talk about deer huntin' when I hear Cullen talk. Very real, not overdone like one hears a lot of time on film when someone is emulating someone from the south.

Lot's of the other, I'm having a good time learning from you guys about what 'might be kinda incorrect or is kinda right.'

I really enjoy the show. I believe the depth of the characters will grow as it progresses.

MD

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:27:42 PM »

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »
The wife and I watched for the first time last night, I'll give it a 7 on the scale of 1 to 10.  ;D

Now if Tom Horn or Professionals or any other top notch Western, I would watch those instead, even though I have seen them 20 dozen times or more. Mountain Men, Jeremiah Johnson or SHANE would also get my attention in a big hurry. 8)
IRISH MIKE

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
I liked it, I know in the first few episodes they are still setting the scene, I did enjoy a fomer Confederate as a hero, does not happen too often in our PC world. 
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
Just wanted to say a bit about the leads southern accent. Actually, it's just about right. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the south talks like Foghorn Leghorn. I feel as if I'm listening to one'a the guys down at the store talk about deer huntin' when I hear Cullen talk. Very real, not overdone like one hears a lot of time on film when someone is emulating someone from the south.

Lot's of the other, I'm having a good time learning from you guys about what 'might be kinda incorrect or is kinda right.'

I really enjoy the show. I believe the depth of the characters will grow as it progresses.

MD

Marshall,
The comments about accent are so right.  There is no “common” Southern accent, they all have a some of the Celtic burr and  brogue with a bit more drawl.  There are other influences from Spanish, French and probably some African dialect as well.  Southerners sound alike to most Yankees, but to us they are very different.  Just like the differences between Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis and so forth.

Having family from the South East to Texas I can tell you the accents vary a lot.  In fact in Texas alone there must be 4 or 5 strong regional accents.  The Eastern Texans sometimes have that Fog Horn Leg Horn buzz saw sound.  Strangely enough the women in Dallas often have heavy accents and the men there have very neutral ones.

My father is from South Central Tennessee, we have family in Lawrence, Giles, Davidson and Loudon Counties in Tennesee; Lauderdale and Madison counties in Alabama; Warren and Laurel Counties in Kentucky; Cherokee and Buncombe counties in North Carolina.  My mother’s family settled in Texas primarily  in Columbus county with the earliest traveling from Pennsylvania just prior to the War between the states, the majority of them all moved from Lancaster county Pennsylvania about 1897 with a few families moving prior to WW I.  Her family is scattered from Fort Bend, Uvalde, Dimmit, Hays, Tom Greene and Midland Counties.  I’ve grown up hearing a lot of Southern Accents.

My Father had a definite South Central Tennessee lilt, and one of my sisters picked it up.  My mother had undertones of German in hers because some of the family still spoke German even though the family had been in the U.S. since 1775 (that’s correct… 1775)  My father’s family (family name) traces the earliest recorded birth in the U.S. to 1773 in North Carolina, that ancestor is buried in Giles county Tenn.  At one time Tennessee was the Western wilderness part of NC just as Kentucky was the same for Virginia.

My father’s family on both sides was almost exclusively Scottish, my mother’s was almost exclusively  German.  I sometimes joke I am always at war with myself for that reason.  I guess it is also why a lot of the family on both sides are engineers, machinists and technicians.  The women on both sides have almost always been school teachers.  I know that accents are picked up in one generation and they are evolving. 

I actually have three accents, my daughters sometimes joke about it.   I have my normal family accent which is a minor Southern accent, I have my very neutral military accent and I have a heavier drawl I switch into when I am around friends in the little town I technically call home.  I don’t even realize I switch, they point it out and tease me about it.  I actually slow my speech down when I get in that mode.

Cullen’s accent is a medium brogue, it probably fits the time period fairly well.  I hadn’t realized how much of a brogue it was until I spent about half a year in Yonkers converting a defense manufacturer to a commercial company.  The company was Israeli owned and the work force was primarily Eastern European and former Soviet states, except for the tooling shop.  Every man in that shop was a young 20s or 30s man from Sligo county Ireland.  I hadn’t realized a large area where the Bronx and Yonkers came together was primarily an Irish ghetto (in the good sense).  Almost everyone there seemed to be a very young first generation Irish émigrés.  I spent a lot of time with them because they were very warm and invited me to their homes.  It was the women who pointed out they could understand me better than the other “Americans.”  It seems my Southern accent “fit” their ear better, and I noticed I felt the same with them. 

I later read up on it and found the brogue connection with the Southern accent.  I have heard a lot of theories about the influence but having travelled quite a bit in Scotland and Ireland I would say they majority of the accent is from those two countries.

~Mako

A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
Looked a little steam punky to me.. :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
re: southern accent
1) Mr Mount the actor is from Tennessee originally and is more than likely talking "normal" as he was raised

2) What Marshall Deadwood (mi amigo who has a nice soft SW Va accent/voice much like the one Cullen speaks with) and Mako said - my mama was born and raised in the deep south - South Lousiana in fact, and never did have an accent - when I asked her why she said only hill billys had such "cartoon accents". As well I was born and raised south the Mason-Dixon and have only a faint accent at best and only when I'm a bit in my cups.  
As far as accents being different as Mako noted - yep there is in fact no such things as generic Southern Accent - some drawl, some twang, and some like my cousins sound just like they are from the Bronx (a certain section of New Orleans in fact)
I hadn’t realized a large area where the Bronx and Yonkers came together was primarily an Irish ghetto (in the good sense).
It’s some of that same group and the priests/nuns who served them in particular who settled the area of New Orleans I mentioned – thus the connection in the accents. As for the source - yep in certain areas of the south, the SOuthern Highlands in particular, the Scots-Irish were a major influence on the culture as well as the language, but other areas were influenced by the Highland Scots, Welsh, as well as the Brits. There was gent on TV show about the south recently discussing this subject of where and when the accents originated and as noted the influences were several.

While as always there are mistakes, I'm enjoying the show like Marshall D - especially Colm Meaney as Durant chewing up the scenery!

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 10:47:31 PM »
People that speak to me their first response is I sound like a DJ on the radio. Now I was raised as far south as one can get, South Florida. I really have been told I have no accent at all so to me it means little. Times haven't change that much really when it comes to speech only the slang has changed. Now my wife who was also born in Florida and raised till age 12 in Sweden it is different. We move to an area and she seems to pickup their accent with in a few months and she doesn't even realize it. We have lived in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and now Kentucky. She now sounds like some one from Kentucky to me.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Lead Zeppelin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »
I learned everything I know about Southern accents from watching Swamp People on the History Channel...  :P

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 04:04:57 PM »
I learned everything I know about Southern accents from watching Swamp People on the History Channel...  :P

Lol!!!

I stand corrected, there is no common southern accent. I'll keep that in mind next week when I'm sitting in a conference room with counterparts from Georgia, Florida and other points south...  ;D
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
We rest our case~ GunClick (southern baptist)Rick ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qXBCdVfJqQk[/youtube]
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
GunClick Rick

Wall, ya'll sho' don' that, feh shure .....

Wish I could do accents. Learned that an accent is more in the ear of the listener than in the voice of the speaker. I once wanted to acquire a Scots brogue for historical reenactment, and since I knew for real Scots, I thought they could teach me - wrong! The speaker is unaware that he/she has an accent. You need a voice coach like actors use.

If you saw "Blood Diamond", you might have been impressed with DiCaprio's Rhodesian accent. He learned it on the aircraft flying to South Africa, sitting beside a Rhodesian Doctor, an associate of my South African oncologist. He was a quick study!

I'm aware of several Canadian dialects and accents that pin point one's home province and region. Ever hear a couple of Newfies's talking? Their lingo dates back to the late 1600s, brought over by Irish fishermen. They would have made good "Windtalkers" like the Navajo in WWII.

I spent several summers instructing free fall parachuting to British soldiers while stationed in Germany in the late 60s, early 70s. I had every accent in the British Isles in any serial! I couldn't wrap my ear around one - that of a soft spoken Irishman. I asked if they could understand me and they said that MY accent was fine!

I thought I was the only one in the room without one!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
WELL I'LL BA A COMIN DRECTLY FER THAT BEER JUST AS SOON AS I SLOP "EM" CRITTERS OVER TA MISS MABLES PLACE,I'LL BE A SWEATIN ENOUGH TA WATER YORE CORN PATCH AND I'LL COME A RUNNIN FASTER AN A BLACK CAT TRYIN TO LICK HIS HINE END WITH HIS TAIL UP AND TONGUE ALREADY OUT~~

lEARNT THAT FROM MY DADDY'S PA ;) ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
My wife and I have watched the last few episodes of "Hell On Wheels". She wouldn't watch that 'other' show due to it's foul language.
She likes the costuming and I like the complexity of the characters. I'm a little disappointed in that there aren't more Civil War vintage guns in evidence - Spencers, Henrys, Burnsides, Galllaghers, Smiths, etc. Even rifled muskets must have 'gone west' by the thousands in the hands of returning soldiers.

The show makes me wonder how the rail roads (and the west in general) could have been won were it not for the Irish potato famine and the emancipated slaves! That constantly muddy street is also starting to wear off; especially when the surrounding country side isn't awash in mud.

There must have been a real polyglot of accents and lingoes spoken on the frontier. Then they evolved into the regional dialects and accents we know today.
I have a US pal who lives in the Gulf Islands of Washington. He's been there nigh on a quarter century and never lost his Texas Gulf Coast accent! His late wife could have passed for a Southern Belle, and did in fact, at ACW reenactments. Her hubby opted to portray a British Colonel, accent notwithstanding.
His family was ex-British, immigrants to Texas. His university education was in Britain, so he has all the mannerisms and knowledge of the culture.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
The ole Swede is growin on me~And now i know why things never go in direct lines for shorter routes,always money!  ========= No dadburn it!!!===~~~~~~~~====~~~~~$$$$~~~Much better ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
It's okay. The cast is beginning to flesh out as the show develops which is good. I'm still somewhat disappointed in Bohannon though, the portrayal is lacking something IMO  ??? . Nonetheless, I'd rather watch this than any of the packaged dramas currently on.
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
I think our hero has good stuff in him,,,,,,,,,,and at the same time,,,just fresh from a war on which he was on the losing side ,,,he has his personal demons. I find his paradoxical character very interesting.

The Swede really is eerie !

The preacher worries me !

I find the whore with the chin tattoos enchanting in a off-beat kinda way. She could cash my check anytime.

I haven't missed a show and I don't think I'll miss any episodes now !

Deadwood

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »
The one with the tatooed chin was what made me think steam punk. :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
The whore with the tattooed chin made me think - "Maori". I didn't think that such facial tattoos were done by prairie Indians.

If you like that kind of facial tattooing, download "River Queen" from netflix or some other site. It's about the Maori wars that Brits waged against the Maoris in New Zealand, circa the 1850s. It's one of the bloody Colonial wars the Brits fought around the world.

Lots of period guns - Enfield Musketoons c/w Yataghan bayonets, Colt revolvers (the Brits used more than did the American military) and an original Terry breechloading carbine in the hands of Kiefer Sutherland.
In one scene, he is loading the carbine while holding another cartridge in his teeth. It wasn't the correct cartridge for the gun. They just though it looked cool; something an Irish mercenary/soldier of fortune would do. He wears a kilt in the movie, which inspired me to wear one of mine at our annual cap & ball only match. Very comfy outfit!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com