Author Topic: Any Mounties in here??  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Cherokee Jem

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Any Mounties in here??
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:01:40 AM »
Hey, just wondered if there are any mounted shooters in this forum hall. I am 19, in GA, and planning to begin shooting later this year. Id like you to tell me about you experiences in mounted shooting, so I know what to expect.  ???  Anything you like or dislike, Id like to hear about it. Also, Id like to know what gunleather you use...Well! thanks guys and girls, and remember to keep the horse tween you and the ground!!!  :)
Went following some tracks, almost got hit by a train.... :D  
Don't tell my horse that your out of food...
Have gun, will travel, just not by air...

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: Any Mounties in here??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »
I believe Griff is............Buck 8) ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »
 Jem, I've got a Ranch horse I am training to shoot from, the shooting in competion will be the trick. Till I find a group of mounted shooters here in No.Va. to shoot with.  In the mean time we'll chase cattle and go hunting.

Good luck in your training, Remember to end it in a good note
and always keep your mine in the middle
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:59:21 AM »

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 02:25:31 PM »
I thought you were asking about RCMP law dawgs. ;)
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline James Robert jr.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 11:34:24 AM »
hey jem.   ive got a 3 y.o.  gelding that i bought as a 1y.o. all i did was torment the heck out of him till he was around 2 and big enough to carry me ( i'm 6'0" 220lbs.)  got about 10 rides on him (not counting the ground work!!)  i couldnt take it any more and he was getting bored i the round pen.  we rode out side about 3-4 times, got a good handle on him went back to the round pen and started with light load blanks.  didnt bother him a bit went to full loads and he bobs his head a little ( with ear plugs ) but we're working on that.   i have more troble with grass and wood dragons and mailbox trolls than shooting.  the only other thing i've been told is that the first time they see a balloon disappear they might have trouble understading that. ;D

Mounted Shooters Rock

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »
Good Mornin'.

By your definition I am a Mountie.
If you like horses and you like shootin'....prepare to become addicted.

Are there any mounted shoots near you, going and seeing first hand is always the best way to know what you're about to get into. 

Like most of the members of CAS I have met you'll find (in our parts anyway) we tend to be a very friendly bunch, willing to speak to folks who are interested.

Do you shoot CAS now? If so you have a gun belt. If not I think it's personal preferance. Mine was custom built before I knew what I was really getting into. If I were to have it done again I think I would go with a wider thicker belt. Mine is soft and flexs some when I draw. (again that is me). If you find a group to go see ask around.

If you have a horse and take him places then you know what to expect there too. Someone once made the comment to me they thought the mounted folks did more work because we have to take our horse and all his gear to the shoot with us. I don't know if that's true seems like regular shooters have to take alot of gear also. They just don't have to make sure it's fed in a timly manner and not fighting with it's neighbor.  :)

I prefer to put my horse in a pen at overnight shoots but those are not always available. So I have finally found something that attaches to the trailer and I can high line him from it.

You're welcome to email or PM me if you would like to know more...however it is early here and I must be off and running for now.

Happy trails
Scarlet
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com