Author Topic: Paper Patching  (Read 8559 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Paper Patching
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
How many of you guys paper patch for your BPCR's?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Paper Patching
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:10 PM »
I do for my Shiloh 1874 Sharps in . 40-70 bottleneck. It's a tackdriver.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »
My Shiloh .45-2.4 (aka .45 90) has never had a grease groove bullet down its bore.  This round was the acme of the Sharps long range rifles and I believe paper patching is the best method for loading and firing these fine rifles.

In addition to its use as a target round, the paper patch bullet harvested most of the bison taken by commercial hunters.  The main benefit for hunting shooting numerous rounds per day is the elimination of leading, and for the long range, a slick sided bullet provided less drag which provided better bullet stability and consequently required less adjustment for elevation.

I harvested a fine bull bison in Hartsel, CO a couple of years ago using Paper patched bulletss.  Two shots dropped this magnificent beast in his tracks.

My target load consists of Rocky Mountain Cartidge Comapny thick walled brass, neck sized with a Meachum sizing die, CCI BR-2 primers (with newspaper was seated under the primer), 95 grains Swiss 1.5FG powder with minimal compression, a 0.60 Walters Wad and a BACO .444 money bullet dry wrapped with #9 Seth Cole drafting paper using a custom template crafted by Orville Loomer.  The bullet is seated 0.10 inch in the case which allows for excellent bullet to bore alignment.

Since no grease cookie is employed with this target load, a strict wiping regimen is necessary to remove the fouling and obtain a consistent bore condition for each shot.  I use a Delrin flexible wiping rod from Arizona Sharpshooters and a damp Arsenal paper patch damped with Arizona Sharpshooters wiping solution, followed by two dry patches.

Perhaps paper patching requires a little more effort, but not much more, but the results are impressive and in my opinion, more authentic.

Randy Wright wrote an excellent book with step by step graphics for paper patch reloading for beginners.  Orville Loomer has a short, but highly informative pamphlet which uses original Sharps Rifle Company information that I found particularly useful.  Both are available from Shiloh Sharps.  Brent Danielson has a guide to paper patching available via Google and he has achieved impressive results.  The late Dan Theodore (may he rest in peace) also contributed immeasurably to this topic.  Shiloh Sharps forum contains a huge amount of info for the beginner and advanced reloaded as well.

A lot of effort is expended into rediscovering what the Old Dead Guys knew as a matter of course.

You won't be sorry wandering down the enticing pathway to paper patching, whether it be for hunting or for target.

Kinchafoonee Kid
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:57:07 PM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
I have a PP mold PJ.....!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:35:44 AM »
How many of you guys paper patch for your BPCR's?

I shoot quite a bit of paper patch, in several cartridges. It's an interesting part of bpcr shooting, it can also be frustrating as all get out.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
Keep talkin'! I ain't convinced yet.

It's already a labour intensive process to load GG bullets. I really need to add one more step .....?
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
If G&G is considered labor-intensive,
you do NOT want to try PP.  ::)
 ;)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
Paper patch isn't all that labor intensive. Where the frustration comes from is finding the right combination of powder, wads, bullet seating etc to obtain match grade accuracy. If a person is content hitting a pie plate at 100-200 yds, then it's not that much of a problem.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
Years ago, when my 74 Sharps was barreled and chambered for 45-120, I got some of my best groups with paper patched bullets.  That particular cartridge can be difficult to get to shoot.  It liked long bullets ~ 550 gr. and velocities around 1200 fps.  But the pp bullets shot well indeed.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
Maybe this will convince you to give it a try. I'm not a competition shooter, just a home range plinker. But paper patching isn't hard, just takes an extra step or two.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
Nice group!  Hate ta tell ya, but I can put 3 GG rds into 2-1/2" at 200m. That beats "pie plate" accuracy.

Casting another bullet for the sake of paper patching holds no appeal for me. I wonder if the buffler hunters bought paper patched bullets from a supplier. I can see casting bullets in a camp, but paper patching ..... ?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »
These were store bought PP bullets from Buffalo Arms, no casting required  ;D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
Yep, that works, but this chil' ain't about to import lead north of the DMZ!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Nice group!  Hate ta tell ya, but I can put 3 GG rds into 2-1/2" at 200m. That beats "pie plate" accuracy.

Casting another bullet for the sake of paper patching holds no appeal for me. I wonder if the buffler hunters bought paper patched bullets from a supplier. I can see casting bullets in a camp, but paper patching ..... ?

I have patched loads that will put 10 shots inside a thre minute or less all the way to 1000 yds.
Those buff hunters cast and wrapped their bullets matter of fact it was the camp tenders job to keep all the ammunition ready.

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »
Howdy,
I paper patch for my 40-65 roller and my 38-55 CPA Stevens 44 1/2 that has a paper patch chamber.  The guilty pleasure I enjoy most, oddly enough, is that after no matter how many shots I take in a day it only takes 5 patches to clean and oil my rifle.  Both these rifles will print 2 moa or less out to 500 yards, wind permitting, and I enjoy loading for both, but those last 5 patches at the end of the day just tickles me no end.  Maybe its the years of scrubbing lead out of barrels.  The caveat, is the load development for these rifles was longer than for greasers. But now going back to greasers is not even a consideration.  I hope that helps.

Dan

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »
I paper patch for my Shiloh .44-77.  I have never shot anything but PP rounds thru it.  It loves PP rounds.  I swage my own bullets and cut my own patches.  Naturally, I only shoot Black Powder in it.  I have found the best accuracy comes from wiping the bore between shots, but I can use a blow tube with minimal effects on accuracy when it isn't convenient to have a wiping rod at hand.  At the end of the day it only takes 5 or 6 patches to get the barrel clean.  I can't imagine ever shooting anything but PP rounds thru this rifle.  It did take a little longer to find a good "target" load, but it was a labor of love. ;)

Don't be afraid to give it a try.  You might find your rifle really likes it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com