Author Topic: Woodwork for RB project.  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Woodwork for RB project.
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:33:24 PM »
Hello people.

I am reaching out to you for two reasons.

The first is frustration and the second is advice.

Both are to do with the same subject. Woodwork for my project (rebuilt RB action)

I have been working on this now for 6 months.

An original RB shotgun action rebarreled with a full octagonal from Badger at a length of 34"

Chambered for 45-70.

Globe front sightinstalled and a long range Soule at the rear.

Barrel has been "browned" but the action left as was. Why? Because that action has been around for over 100 years and has earned every mark on it, I didnt want to take that history away. Internatlly it has been all cleaned and worked. Single trigger has a pull of 3 lbs.

6 months ago found the fore end and stock I liked. As I dont have a credit card I gave a friend the cash and he offered to order it on his card.

The stock was at Pecatonica Long Rifles and my friend has been trying to get them on the telephone ever since, with no joy.

Now our $ has dropped in value against the US$ and what  gave my friend 6 months agao only cover 2/3 of the price of the woodwork and postage.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Thats the frustration out of the way.

Now for the advice.

Any suggestions as to where else I may be able to obtain wood work fior this action and barrel.

It is a straight grip and I would like a cheekpiece on the stock.

It is not a full length fore end.

Help in sourcing would be greatly appreciated.

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Woodwork for RB project.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:58:54 PM »
Got the wood for my RB project (sounds nearly identical to yours)  about 9 years ago from George Peterson at Treebone Carving - http://www.treebonecarving.com./index.html

Good wood, plain wood, forend piece with steel tip, straight stock (w/o cheekpiece) and butt plate for about $125 US then. Check the website for current prices.

Good luck with your project.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:51:52 PM »
Dai,

You can check www.brownells.com they sell precut rolling block stocks and matching forend for about $110 US plus shipping.  Not sure if its what your looking for.  But its what I could find.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:36:10 PM »

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
I thank you for your replies.

Problem has been solved.

Found a gentleman here in south Auckland who has served his apprenticeship as a "cabinet Maker" (highly skilled carpenter).

He has made stocks before and I am in discussion with him about making one for me.

Another friend has an original rolling block sporter with a 1/2 octagonal 1/2 round barrel. He is going to remove the woodwork and post it to me. From this we will be able to get a basic pattern and progress from there.

I am in the process of talking type of wood for the stock. Probably going for a native New Zealand wood. Kauri or Remu. Both are hardwoods with close grains and very nice pattern to the grain.

Have a piece of "swamp Kauri" that we are looking at working. This is Kauri that 50,000 years ago fell into a swamp and has been preserved. Polishes up very pretty. Very hard wood not petrified but a few more thousand years in the ground and it would be on its way.

Once I have sorted everything I will post pictures of my "baby" for all of you to view. I would value your input.

Dai

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
Dai,

Can't wait to see the finished product.  That wood sounds mighty fine for a stock.  Best of luck.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com