Author Topic: Trapdoor or Sharps  (Read 8245 times)

Offline Macon McLeod Osmoke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trapdoor or Sharps
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:50:12 AM »
I want a 45-70, but I can't decide between a Springfield Trapdoor or a '74 Sharps, both Pedersoli of course.  Typically when the decision is between two different styles of gun the correct answer is both, but I can only afford one.  I plan to use it for hunting, putting holes in paper, and eventually long range.  I will be reloading my own black powder cartridges.  What are the pros and cons of each design?  I have always heard and saw the posting about keeping the pressure on a Trapdoor to black powder equivalents, no big deal for me since I will only be shooting the holy black.  No smokeless powder shall touch the gun no matter which one I get.  Will either one fit the bill?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Trapdoor or Sharps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:54:04 AM »
Either one should do you fine, the Trapdoor is a tad lighter than most Sharps and might be better for hunting, but most Sharps have a double set trigger that you will like for long range shooting. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »
I've had both (though the TD was an H&R )
both were carbines...

The Pedersoli Sharps was vision of gun art in fit in finish, very good shooter too.
Advantage of the Sharps because of is weight, less felt recoil.

The H&R Cavalry carbine, was quite nice, very accurate (well they both were)
a little handy-er overall in action & point also a tad easier to clean.
Advantage was the price $350.

I think if I were to buy another it would be the Sharps.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:05:36 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:25:01 PM »
I've got an H&R Model 1875 Officer's Rifle - a Trapdoor - and the balance for me is just fine.
(BTW - I'm looking for the metal pistol grip that H&R made)

I'd look to see how either 'fit' you and decide on that basis, since you'll most likely shoot well that which fits your shooting style.

Some rifles are indeed works of the gunmaker's art - but if they don't fit 'you' - then all they are is beautiful.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:01:07 PM »
 My son and I together recently purchased a Pedersoli Model 1874 45/70 target rifle that will aso be used for hunting.
 We have, thus far, only shot 20 rounds of "smokeless" through it. Why smokeless? Because we were iching to shoot it![ I was truly surprised by the lightness of recoil experenced with the "factory loads"].  I do not have, as of yet, the tools/equitment needed for reloading the brass with BP but am working on it.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 01:46:42 AM »
Trapdoors have one big inconvenience: you cannot clean from the breech. If you shoot a lot that will be a BIG issue.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »
Trapdoors have one big inconvenience: you cannot clean from the breech. If you shoot a lot that will be a BIG issue.
Well, actually you can if you use Moosemilk and a Bore Snake. The Snake does a great job, place the muzzle on your boot or a towel on the ground, drop the weighted end through the breech and out the muzzle, spray some Moosemilk in the breech then hook the weighted end on your tailgate or a bench and pull the Bore Snake through and out the muzzle. One pull through and it'll be as clean as 4 or 5 runs with several patches and rod from the front! That is all I used on the museum quality original I had and later sold. The collector/Shooter that bought it said the bore was in near pristine condition and that the Bore Snake had helped keep it that way as it leaves no marks going in or coming out. Your mileage will vary, of course, but a Bore Snake works well on most all firearms, I use it on my Pedersoli Sharps with Moosemilk (1 part Ballistol to 7 parts water in a squeeze or spray bottle) on the range and only a bore-guided rod and patches for final put away cleaning before storage. The alternative is to use a good and solid cleaning rack, drop the weighted end through and out the muzzle then place the rifle upside down in the rack, spray Moosemilk on the Snake and pull through. You can get the same effect with a rod and patches from the front/muzzle, thusly cleaning the fouling out and dropping the patches down and away from the breech, this works well on all types of 45-70's and generally keeps the gunk out of and away from the action.
Regarding the choice of 45-70's, either is good, if you decide to start with a 'new' Trapdoor model and then move to a Sharps later, you'll recoup most all of your investment. If you go the 'used' route buy the best you can afford.
You didn't mention what part of the country you are located in, it might help us steer you in a better direction.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
If as you said, you're planning on using one rifle for all types of shooting events and hunting, I'd go with the Sharps hands down as the winner. It is a much more versatile rifle than the trapdoor for about any use. The barrel is too thin on the trapdoor for fast repeated firing(buffalo shoots) and the sights are not nearly fine enough adjustment for accurate repeatable sight settings. The Sharps can be bought today in a wide variety of configurations whereas the trapdoor is only available in a couple. Why limit yourself if you can only buy one rifle? Don't anyone get their collective feathers ruffled here, I own and shoot a trapdoor and a Sharps, and appreciate the qualities of each, yet realize the shortcomings also. I guess my advice is based on the 15 or so years I shot both of these  and little more. Have to say, I don't envy the choice you have to make but I see the Sharps on top from where I stand. Choose carefully!

GW
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 06:25:30 PM »
Depending on what you are doing, the Trapdoor has one big advantage.  It has an ejector.  The Sharps ony has an extractor.  The Officer's trapdoor also has a single set trigger.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 11:44:16 PM »
By giving the operating lever on my Sharps a firm downward stroke it'll "extract" the empty shell about 2-3 feet from the breech.  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »
Here's a tip for those of you who may want to save a bit on "drop tubes" for reloading the .45/70s. ninties or whatevers for BPCR shooting.
  Everyone of the retail "drop tubes" I've looked at on line cost better than $30.00 and that does not include shipping. According to a booklet by Chuck Raithel "Introduction to Black Powder Cartrige Rifle Loading" he mentions making a "drop tube" from an aluminum arrow shaft about 3/8 of an inch in diameter and about 24 to thirty inches long. If you have been or are active in archery you probably have such an arrow around somewhere or perhaps have a friend who does. Failing that you could probably pick one up at a "sporting goods" outlet.
  So if any of you have or received a BPCR from Santa and are just getting started (as am I) in this phase of shooting the Holy Black, I would suggest you get  hold of this "primer" by Mr. Raithel. It is available absolutely free on the "web." It also has lots of other hints and information.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »
There's one more option worth looking into, and that's the Remington Rolling Block design.  The roller has a very long history in the 45-70 Caliber.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 07:31:46 AM »
I have one of each, both by Pedersoli. both will shoot better than I can. The fit and finish on my sharps is better than on my trapdoor but I'm sure that is just the luck of the draw since they were both made by the same company. Since the modern Trapdoor is proofed I'm not afraid to shoot it with smokeless loads (and have). In the end I would say that either is a very good gun and I'd say that the decision will have to boil down to your personal preference. The only thing that I can see that would recommend one over the other is if there is any chance you might someday want to do living history you might want the trapdoor.
BTW I paid for both with Cabela's Bucks and while I had to save them for quite a while, I never had to lay out real cash for either. That's how I afforded both.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com