Author Topic: ignition question  (Read 4047 times)

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ignition question
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
i have a .54 pedersoli sharps sportsman percussion repro. i had two ignition problems; one was solved by using cci top-hat caps. the other one seems to be a characteristic of using pyrodex...it's harder to ignite than black powder. i get hang fires. can this be solved by topping off the pyrodex load with a touch of black powder ffffg? is this recommended? i load the pyrodex loose behind the ring tail bullet. when i get a sharp ignition the sharps can put bullets in the same hole at 100 yds. with the hang fire the bullets wander (duh). thanks in advance. geo.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ignition question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »
Myself I would use real black and never look back, Pyrodex in my opinion and many others is more crossive than black.  As for the other subs, I've never tried them and most likely never will, perhaps some do light better. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »
Geo

I have a Shiloh .50 Cal. Percussion Sharps I bought from Dixie Gun Works some twenty five years ago.  I found that a 10 grain charge of ffffg in the bottom of the paper cartridge or that brass cartridge you have, and fill the rest of the cartridge with Pyrodex, topped off by the bullet of your choice will get you good accuracy and ignite even that Pyrodex stuff.

I also found that a hollow based minnie bullet will work better than a solid lead slug in my Sharps.  Your experience may varry.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:23:27 AM »

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »
thanks for the input. i have found that using a flint lock priming pan powder thrower putting a jolt of ffffg into the nipple before capping has eliminated the hang fire with pyrodex. i really like the suggestion of using a mini in the sharps...does anyone make a .54 mini mold? i will search the internet and my catalogs. geo.

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
goodness, what one finds when looking in the home files...lee makes a .54 mini but in .533 and .540.  any suggestions which would be preferable for the .54 pedersoli? and, second question, would a soft lead slug be better or an alloy (i.e., wheel weights) for a mini. thanks in advance. geo.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »
goodness, what one finds when looking in the home files...lee makes a .54 mini but in .533 and .540.  any suggestions which would be preferable for the .54 pedersoli? and, second question, would a soft lead slug be better or an alloy (i.e., wheel weights) for a mini. thanks in advance. geo.

Get the .54 Minnie.  The lead needs to be soft.  As long as you are using a good Black Powder Lube You should be OK.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com