Author Topic: info please  (Read 4754 times)

Offline jeff12c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
info please
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:45 PM »
I have an original 1874 sharps stamped 45 cal and 2 - 1/16 with a 30 inch barrel. It's in terrific shape and the serial number is 159825. Can anyone tell me when this rifle was manufactured and it's estimated value? Any info at all about this rifle will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: info please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
Let me dig, I know there is someone who has the Sharps Factory records, I know I saved it but where?   The 45 2 1/16 confuses me, as far as I know the 45-70 which is also known as the 45-2.1 is the short one.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline jeff12c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
I looked again and the marking on the barrel is 2 1/10 I'm sorry for the confusion and appreciate any further info that you can give me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:43 PM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
Just curious, but is this for an insurance appraisal or a 'for sale' appraisal? Also, what other types of stampings are on the barrel, etc., any other known history about it, how long its been in the family, etc., the more info the better!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »
OK, I found it, this information came from the 2000 Dixie Gunworks BP Annual, so the information is 7 years old, but one R.L. Moore MD at 310 Magnolia Street Philadelphia Mississippi 39350 owned the records of the Sharps rifle company and would provide a research letter for a reasonable fee. 

Give that a try and report back.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline jeff12c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
I'm curios about the value for insurance reasons. As far as I can tell about the history of the rifle it has been in the Laramie, Wyoming area for the last 60 years but the trail ends there. The condition of the rifle is blueing- 90%, wood- good. The only other markings I can see other than the cartridge stampings and sharps rifle company Bridgeport, Conn. is Old reliable stamped on top of the barrel and the patent number on the reciever.
The sites are a blade front pressed into a dovetail and a flip up rear site on top of the barrel that can also be used as a standard sight in its folded down position. The butt plate is steel and checkered in the center and the trigger is a single.
I will try and contact Mr. Moore and I appreciate all of the input you folks have provided thus far. Thanks.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
It may be one sold out of Freund's (sp) Armory out of Chenneye, they were one of the biggest outlets for Sharps Rifles.  If research shows it was, it most likely was in the area since it was shipped with maybe a side trip to the buffalo ranges in Montana. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »
Jeff12C,
Here are a couple of other proactive forums for Big Bore Sharps Shooters that may have just what you are looking for:
www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm
Click on 'Forums' on the left side column, pick a topic that fits your question, you'll most likely need to register but it is a great site.
And...
www.shilohrifle.com/forums/index.php
Again, you'll probably need to register but well worth it as these are the folks in the know about Sharps rifles. Steve Garbe/Black Powder Cartridge News Magazine/SPG Lube, Mike Venturino, gun reviewer and a lot of the other Big Boys hang out here. Both sites are invaluable to a BPCR Shooter and are loaded with data and tips, you can't go wrong with either one, in addition, most of these guys are from the area where that rifle is at or was at so they may have more info for you as well.
Good luck and see you on the forums!
'Ol Gabe 

Offline jeff12c

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
I appreciate all of the help y'all have given me. I found out today that my rifle was originally shipped to Schuyler, Hartley and Graham, a sporting goods store in NYC on jan. 5th 1878. Unfortunately I've been told that their sale records no longer exist so I may never be able to find out who the original owner was or how the rifle eventually made it's way to Laramie. Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com