Author Topic: Dr. BoB ... and other Medical Types ....  (Read 2642 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Dr. BoB ... and other Medical Types ....
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:51:11 AM »
Was just doing a search on a re-enactment topic, and one of the results was a list of links, including this one (below) to a YAHOO discussion forum called "The Staff of the Serpent"  -

"History of Medicine Group for Living History Medical Practitioners (Physicians, Leeches, Quacks, Surgeons, Sawbones, Apothecaries, Cunning Women Men, Midwives, Toothdrawers (Kindhearts), Bonesetters, Horse gelders, Bloodletters (Phlebotamists), Herbalists, Stillroom Mistresses etc). To swop good ideas, exchange equipment, names of manufacturers and to share research and sources."

If you aren't already a member, might be something to look into -
(I'm sure you need at least one more online forum to take up your time ... ::) )

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chirurgeons/

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dr. BoB ... and other Medical Types ....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »
Hi RJR,

I was a member of that group a while ago.

I am currently a member of 2 medicine related yahoogroups.

1812_medcal@yahoogroups.com

and

Physick18c@yahoogroups.com

I have gotten good tidbits from both.

I put 492 miles on the truck today, going to Sullivan, MO [40 Miles NE of Rolla, MO on I-44] to give a talk on "The Medical Theory and Practice of the Lewis & Clark Expedition."  I still made it back to KC in time to go dance tango.

I have tomorrow [Monday] off and then go to Emporia, KS to give a talk on the Uniforms & Equipment of the Men of the L & C Espedition.  I get to stop on the way and have dinner with Trap and Michelle. ;D ;D ;D

In two weeks, Wed. 10/5 to Wed. 10/19 I will have traveled more than 2,000 miles to a historical re-enactment and 3 L & C talks.  Thank goodness for getting gas money for all four trips.  I think I need my head examined!  Afraid that they will find nothing in there! ::)

Thanks for sharing this with me and the board!

YMH&OS,

Capt. R. H. Dorian
Brv't. LtC., Chief Topographical Engineer
Grand Army of the Frontier
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog