Author Topic: Colt walker by Armi sanmarco  (Read 948 times)

Offline Medicdon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt walker by Armi sanmarco
« on: March 16, 2023, 09:47:20 PM »
Have an ASM colt walker replica Need help with either replacing or repairing the broken Arbor / base pin

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Colt walker by Armi sanmarco
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:09 PM »
How is it broken?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »

Ah, that's my question as well.  The Arbor is a really LARGE piece of steel.  The only place you're going to find an ASM Arbor is in someone else's gun.  Although you might also try fitting a Uberti.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:50:06 AM »

Offline Medicdon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 02:58:58 PM »
Just above the wedge cutout

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 07:48:47 PM »
Yessir,  it's broke!!!   :)
This is exactly what happens when the end of the arbor isn't tight against the bottom end of the arbor hole, which means the arbor is too short to begin with.  Not that you necessarily should have known that ( especially if you're new to ml revolvers).  It is a known and well documented problem that plagues  all reproduction  cap guns ( except Pietta's since the earlyish 2000's). Normally, the wedge should be "driven" in but I know some folks here and there will say thumb pressure is ok.  That'll work with cowboy shooting ( light loads in "belt" guns - and that's not a cut) but shooting max loads in horse pistols will do some damage  ( as you see). Likewise,  it carries over into the belt pistols as well as pocket guns.  I shoot heavy loads ( well over tier 1 ) in a pair of '60 Armys (Ubertis) with conversion cylinders .  .  . and thumb pressure just won't do.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 07:29:10 AM »
Medicdon,
  I think an additional problem might be the diameter of the arbor.  Early  ASM arbors had a greater diameter than later examples. That being the case, replacing it with a later one would dictate a cylinder as well. Probably the cheapest thing to do would be to find a local welding shop to weld it up in place ( especially if you're not comfortable removing the arbor). If you have a vice, I'd chuck the arbor up in it and see if you can wiggle the frame.  If you can't,  proceed to the welding shop.  If it wiggles,  you need to remove and reinstall anyway.  Either way you'll need the welding done first. After the repair, cleaning it up to allow the barrel assy to be installed will get you going. The welding shop may do the cleanup for you if you take the barrel along.
  If you get that far, I'd fix the "short arbor" before you break it again.
  If it was loose, you'll need to remove it, upset the shoulder material and torque it back in place.  ( getting it welded up first will make this step easier).

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »

:) MEDICDON  ;)

YEP!!  IT'S BROKEN (This is an Echo) AND:

Completely agree with 45 Dragoon.  Whilst some work, clamping the crack lightly together then welding with one of those little precision welders is your best bet.  As The Dragoon mentioned, once repaired, checking/fixing the Barrel to Arbor fit is paramount for continued FUN!!

Remember:  People ARE Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 02:59:36 PM »
:) MEDICDON  ;)

YEP!!  IT'S BROKEN (This is an Echo) AND:

Completely agree with 45 Dragoon.  Whilst some work, clamping the crack lightly together then welding with one of those little precision welders is your best bet.  As The Dragoon mentioned, once repaired, checking/fixing the Barrel to Arbor fit is paramount for continued FUN!!

Remember:  People ARE Hazardous to Yer Health

Please especially note LITTLE PRECISION WELDER

do not make the common mistake of taking it to bubba who welds up truck frames with a massive Lincoln….
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 08:24:58 AM »
 :)  Ho Yea  ;)

BIG PLUS ONE Perfesser Marvelous!!!

PS:  Would also recommend you drop by your local hardware emporium and snag a set of SMALL diamond files.  The Wedge Slot will require dressing.  Something a bit more robust than Thousand Island me thinks

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 09:04:36 AM »
  Yes, what them two "wise guys" (Perfesser and "thother" Mike) said! Yes, the wedge slot will probably require a little dressing  .  .  . I'm more of a "California Honey French" ( with a little bacon thrown in if ya got it!).  :D

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com