Author Topic: .44 Russian  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
.44 Russian
« on: November 07, 2022, 12:27:55 PM »
From what I understand the .44 Russian cartridge can be fired in a revolver that is chambered for .44 special OR .44 magnum, but how would it function in a lever action rifle that is chambered in either of those calibers?

The reason I ask is that the .44 Russian is shorter than a .44 special, and of course even shorter than the .44 magnum.

The Russian was introduced in 1890, so it would be period correct.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: .44 Russian
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 12:41:02 PM »
With a modified carrier block the .44 Russian will work in 1860, 1866 and 1873 Winchester pattern lever rifles. Contact Bill English at The Smith Shop.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 12:52:38 PM »
What Johnson Barr said.  The Russian won't feed in any repeating rifles without modifications.  The Smith Shop custom carrier in a 44 Spcl rifle will do it easily.  A Marlin that is short stroked (by those who know how) can be made to feed the Russian as well.

Armi-Sport at one time made 44 Russian Spencers.

Note: 44 Russian was designed around 1870, not 1890.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:43 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »
You can certainly shoot .44 Russian rounds in any rifle chambered in .44 Magnum (same with .44 Special). The problem comes in feeding through the rifle's mechanism.  The M1892 Winchesters and replicas in particular have problems feeding the shorter rounds from the magazine...pretty much won't do it. The toggle-link actions have to have their carrier blocks modified as well.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »
I was recently looking through my old copy of Cartridges of the World and noticed the reported factory velocity of the Russian was 770 fps while the factory velocity of the original 44 Special was 750 fps.  This with 246g bullets in both.  I found that very curious.  The only reason I can think of for S&W to load their new "44 caliber" round that lightly was because of the steel used in the original N-frame, the legendary Triple Lock, also known as the New Century, and the First Model Hand Ejector.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 09:54:58 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE to Everybody Else  ;)

Yep.  Piling on as it twer.  Some Lustrum ago, I built a custom .44 Special Trapper on the 1866 frame.  Wouldn't hold 10.  Added the Smith Shop carrier and PRESTO it held 10 Just fine and ran them like grain thru a Goose.

Problem:  Straight walled case would not expand to seal the chamber with BP and Subs (Boo Hiss) so became a smokeless rifle only until I was discovered by Annealing.  Annealing worked a treat.  Not only ran well but ran CLEAN.

The only lever rifles I know that will run the round are Toggle Link guns with the modified carrier and a Widdermatic modified Marlin.

People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »
Yes, the 44 Special has the exact same ballistics as the 44 Russian.  Though there is a great deal of speculation as to why, no one knows for sure, and the relevant paperwork has been lost to time. 

My take: The Russian round was known as one of the most accurate of its era, and perhaps S&W wanted a "NEW" round for their new large frame DA revolver, but saw no need to reinvent the actual ballistics. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 12:41:35 AM »
I believe you’re right Drydock. From what I’ve read the reason.44 special, .38 special, and.32 special were special was because they were made to use black or smokeless powder. Smokeless needed more room than black hence the longer case.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 08:52:04 AM »

:)  Ah Well . .  ;)

As an aside:  I actually built the 1866 Trapper as an accompaniment to my prized pair of 71/72 Open Tops, also in 44.  The Open Tops were marked 44-40 (go figure) and the Cylinders would/will accept .44 Special, .44 Colt or .44 Russian, interchangeably.  Nifty cool.  I elected to shoot 'em with 44 Russian, playing with something akin to the original performance of the .44 Henry Flat and 44 Stetson to match like/like cartridges.  Then a shooting partner just had to have the '66.  So I have built another .44 Trapper, this one an 1873 Deluxe, .44 Special, which also fouls out in 6 - 8 rounds of BP or Sub.  Currently annealing a batch of 44 Special cases for use in the rifle.  I also have on hand a Smith Shop carrier for 44 Russian.

I happen to like the .44 Russian case in the Open Tops, with APP and 160Gr bullets.  Really nice shooting load.

Offline paperchaser

• Retired
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 54926
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 04:15:11 PM »
Just my 2 cents here; I agree with DryDock, the .44 Russian is really accurate for me.
SASS #54926
N.R.A. Pistol Instructor
Mississippi Peacemakers

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 09:46:21 PM »
Go to the Darksider's Den. After reading and searching a bit you will find what you need. .44 Russian is a very popular option for blackpowder loads.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com