Author Topic: Henry Copy what Calibre  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Henry Copy what Calibre
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Ok
I read a number of the threads on which cal for a Henry copy, I dont care if it is a US made or Italian made copy as it will be a copy.
what would the most popular cal be.
I have two 44WCF but my leaning is towards 44sp. If and I dont think it will happen I would go 44 Russian.

I will when I have the money purchase a steel frame in 44sp, as it takes six months plus to arrive it wont be in my hands for over a year.
Buffalochip

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1218
Re: Henry Copy what Calibre
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
I think Uberti only produced a handful of 44 Spcl Henrys, and that was about 10 or so years ago (and none in steel frame).  If you really want that caliber, the easiest way would be to take a 44wcf model and have the chamber sleeved.  Or possibly Uberti would make one on a special order, don't know about that.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »
I agree that it is a long shot to get a 44sp Henry, but if there  is enough demand they might just do it???
I not i would want a sleved chamber and the cost. If no 44sp the 44WCF would be my second selection as I have six other guns in this.
Buffalochip

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:37 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
I agree that it is a long shot to get a 44sp Henry, but if there  is enough demand they might just do it???...

Non-existent demand as straight walled pistol calibers give too much 'blowback' for the BP shooters and the smokeless shooters all want a Henry in .45 Colt.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:29:02 AM »
non-existent demand?  Heck, I'd buy one  :)

But since they already are maxed out filling orders for Henrys in existing calibers, not likely to offer another.  I'll have to settle for my '66 in .44 Spcl

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 02:13:39 AM »
I have a 73 in 44sp that why i would like a Henry in the same.
I know the issues with PB and i shoot a OpenTop and Richards in 44 with PB.
Buffalochip

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
Some years ago, one of our European CAS shooters was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Uberti factory (may have been pre Baretta), and observed about 4 - 5 Henry barrel units in 44 Special.  He made a special request, which was honored, and some time later became the happy owner of a .44 Special Henry.  Other than that "one" gun, Uberti hasn't made a Henry in .44 Special in a gazillion years.  Every once in a while, one will come up for sale.  You have to be very quick to score.

Currently, Uberti sells everything they make.  They only make what they can sell.  While there is reasonable demand for .45 Colt and .44 WCF rifles, the demand for .44 Special is ......... tiny.  I placed a special order with Uberti some years ago for a .45 Henry Trapper.  Took over two years to get.  I wouldn't hold out hope of actually receiving a .44 Special Henry from Uberti before you achieve retirement age.

Like Abilene, I settled for a '66 in .44 Special.  AS soon as they came available (previously made my own) I stuck a special carrier in my '66 to be able to run 44 Russian cases.  I have 4 Henry's, all in .45 Colt, with special carriers installed so I can run Cowboy 45 Special cases.
Super fun to load on Sunday and shoot all week!

Coffinmaker

PS:  OOPS..... the original question.  The cleanest running, easiest to maintain would be 44-40.  If one is already shooting 44-40 in other guns, adding a .44 Henry is a no-brainer.  My choice however, is .45 Colt.  Cause I'm immediately gonna modify it to run C45S cases.  I only find the Blow-By of the straight wall cases to be a nuisance.  It's why we clean guns ... right???

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »
Like my brethren , my 73 is in 44 spec.

My Henry's however are 2- 45's and 2- 44/40's  

that said,  one 44/40 is 36 years young [AE]  at one time I planed to do a King's improvement,  that never happened  ::)
now though...I see it as a candidate  to re- chamber in 44 Russian  hmmmmmmm !

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
Interesting the largest demarned is for 45 LC for the Henry mod,  Is this because the matching pistols or is it the shorter 45 driving this trend. I have no experance with this case.
I understand the issues with 45 LC with black and also reduced loads with the LC round.
I had thought of getting a altered carrier for 44R
very interesting
Buffalochip

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »
There is always a big demand for 45LC in cowboy revolvers and rifles.  That and .38/.357 are the two most popular selling calibers, both to CAS and non-CAS shooters., and of course the Henry doesn't come in .357.  And of the large number of those Henrys that are sold to firearms enthusiasts who are not cowboy shooters, the majority of those do not shoot BP and so prefer the common and easy to load (or buy) 45LC.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:11:43 AM »
Abilene, why don't you tell Mike to have Uberti make another run of '66  & '73 Muskets.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 04:35:13 AM »
Abilene.
Thanks,
Fox Creek A friend has a 73 musket in 4 WCF
So guess if we could get Uberti to make a 44s they could sell 10-20 guns.
Buffalochip

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
Abilene, why don't you tell Mike to have Uberti make another run of '66  & '73 Muskets.

Next time I see him I will see what he says.  I did ask recently about 44 Spcl Henrys and he said no.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
Have you actually checked on doing a custom order? I've ordered some custom guns through Cimarron, just received two model P's. Still waiting on my 76 and just placed an order for a 32wcf carbine with AAA wood that I will get engraved.

Usually takes about a year but you get what you want provided it's a configuration that they can do.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
Cliff
Took a year to get my 73 carbine in 38WCF, ordered a Paterson from Pietta at the same time and it is about ready to ship.

I think we have proberly exhausted  this thread, 44WCF and 45 LC and proberly more 45 guns.
Thanks Gents
Buffalochip

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
Well ordered a steel frame in 44 WCF cant wait till it come, wish it was all blue. Odered plane wood as well, i dont want a fancy stock.
Buffalochip

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »
How about the possibility of a Henry in .44 Colt? That was a blast to shoot in an 1860 RM......

I smell another project.....

tommy4toes

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
tommy,

Colt designed ammo for the Cartridge conversions, use really rather small rem diameters.
Extraction of spent cases is unreliable using the original cartridge dimensions for both .45 or .44 Colt.
Just a thought on my part.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
My steel frame henry is .45 Colt, but I shoot .44-40 cases fire formed to .45 Colt. Works like a charm and keeps the lifter spotless with Holy Black.
i wouldn't profane that barrel with that nitro stuff which is really a gunpowder (what is says on an old oval DuPont FFFg can) substitute.
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com