Author Topic: Heros and Friends  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Heros and Friends
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »
It had been a long day of riding across northwest Texas.  He patted the neck of his horse and friend of many years, Smoky.  Will gazed across the valley in front of him, then looked up at the clouds that were gathering.  He had been getting lost in memories today for some reason.  Maybe it was the chill in the air that was getting to his bones.  Ain't as young as I use ta be, he thought to himself. 

Will's thoughts wondered off again to pards he made over the years.  There was that Marshall up in Missouri.  What was his name?  Hey I can't remember.  Besides everyone just referred to him a "the Missouri Marshall".  He was a real nice fella for a Marshall.  He sure has a pretty wife thought!  I remember her name, Trina.  She was a tricky one on a card table.  And amazingly good with a six shooter. 

Then there was that bunch he rode herd with back a couple of years ago.  Crazy bunch that was.  Some long drink of water name of Longhorn Louie.  Fella would stop talking about his gal Wanda.  Seems to me she was back in Witchata or someplace.  Then there was that fella who done most of the doctoring, Ridgeback Jack.  I don't really think he had any real schooling to be a doctor but he did a pretty good job any way.  He road with a little fella name of . . . Stan I think it was.  Yea, called himself Goldrush Stan.  Heck he was bout old enough to have been in the rush of '49.  There was another couple of fellas I got to know real well.  Arcey and Wildman.  We lost Wildman during that drive.  He got caught in a stampede in a dry gultch if I remember correctly.  Arcey was never quite the same after that.  Me nether really.  That Wildman was quite a fella.  He really lived up to his name. 

Cold breeze blew across him.  Will shivered and he looked up at the sky.  Really should be moving on.  Maybe in a minute.  I remember them fellas one that river boat on the Mississippi.  The captain, name of Flatboat Bob.  Nice guy he was.  Wonder what he is up to these days.  Then there was his first mate.  Now they called him Pony Racer.  Odd name for a guy running boats up and down a river.  He was a wild one.  WaaaHoooo.  Heck that was bout all he liked to say.  Both of them fellas seemed real smart though. 

I remember after gettin off that boat at the crossing and heading up to Independence.  There was a great gal up there who seemed to run the .... well heck I think she ran about everything there.  Her name was AnneLee.  Great gal.  She caught the sickness and died I heard about a year ago now.  Will wiped a tear away.  Funny how just thinking of her could bring a smile and a tear. 

Will shook his head to clear his thoughts.  Seems like a lot of pards and in a lot of places over a lot of years.  Sure hope I meet up with some of them again.  Come to think of it, I think Lost River is not far from here.  I should head over that way.  Fella that ran the Saloon there, the Bucket of Blood, and his wife seemed like a great pair.  Tensleep and Miss Annie.  Wonder where he got that name.  I should ask him when I see him again. 

"Smokey looks like it could be a wet one tonight.  Better start looking for some where to bed down for the night."  Will reined him west and headed off to find Lost River.  I don't think it is that far away.  Besides it will head me away from the clouds...and thought of missed pards.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Heros and Friends
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »
The sunrise was bright and Will found himself in a much better mood.  The smell of fresh air, a glorious sunrise and peace and quiet.  Didn't seem to happen as often as he would like.  By golly he was gonna take it in for as long a possible. 

Smoky jumped and Will's ears perked up.  His hand was on his six gun in a flash and cocked as he rolled over to target the intruder.

The man with the unkept look of a man who had been in the saddle for too long froze in front of him. 

"Hey partner take it easy!"  the man said.
Will looked into the man's eyes and thought to himself, it seems like I have seen these eyes before.  "Who are you and what do ya want mister?"

Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »
Izzair gonna bee more?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:22:10 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com