Author Topic: #1 Remington Sporting rifle - .44-77  (Read 11455 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
#1 Remington Sporting rifle - .44-77
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
I just took the plunge and bought a rifle that could very likely have been used used by a buffalo hunter back in the day.  Many years ago the barrel was bobbed to a more manageable length, a little under 24".  I'm waiting for it to arrive, but the bore is described as quite good - mostly bright and shiny with strong rifling.  It has the rather ambiguous, but according to Roy Marcot's book, "44S" barrel stamp indicating .44-77 (or .44-90 which early on was the same shell with bullet just seated further out to allow for more powder). Needless to say I'm excited about it and look forward to getting it to the range.  If it could talk - the stores it could tell!

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: #1 Remington Sporting rifle - .44-77
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »
That is SO COOL!

I might not be as excited as you are, but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about this gun. When you get it, please take time to bring us along with more pictures and reports of your experiences in getting it back in action. Most of us won't have a chance to own an historical piece like this, but we can enjoy it vicariously.

Congratulations!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
Great find!

I've got an Argentine model in .43 Spanish, the ballistic twin of the .44-77.

I has leading issues due to the 39" barrel, so I had it cut down to 30" and recut the stock to resemble the Trapdoor carbine.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:24 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »
I am yellow/green with envy. Any No1 Sporting Rifle is a treasure to me and being in such a traditional caliber and in shootable condition makes it that much better. I would regret the barrel being cut...but I'd have bought it anyway.

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about it.  Its probably from the late 1870s with a 6XXX serial number range.  Who knows why the barrel was cut back, damage? muzzle wear? , maybe just to make it easier to carry on horseback.  Regardless, it was done and long time ago and its part of its history.  On the plus side, the bobbed barrel made it less collectable and more affordable - cost was comparable to a modern Pedersoli roller.  The loading components and equipment are not inexpensive, but I knew that going in and accept it.  It is tapped for a tang sight and I tthink they are factory tapped by the location.  But won't know until I get it in hand and measure the spacing and thread pitch, which should be 10-28.  Here are a few more photos.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
ndnchf,

That barrel chop and crown look to be very well done. That eases the disappointment a bit. (smile)

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes, I agree. I'd love to have had a 30" barrel on it. But i'll be shooting no further than 200 yards. Its not for competition. Really its just the coolness factor of what it is. Bringing it back to life will be an honor and joy  :)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
That is a Dandy , going to be fun watching you bring that one back to life . ,,,DT

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »
What markings are underneath the forend.  That will give clues to its original configuration.  Lucky you in that is a heavy weight barrel equal to the diameter of the action and will help dampen the recoil
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »
What markings are underneath the forend.  That will give clues to its original configuration.  Lucky you in that is a heavy weight barrel equal to the diameter of the action and will help dampen the recoil

I should be receiving it next week.  That is one of the first things I'll look for. With the forend in place, only the "44S"caliber marking is visible.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
ndnchf, I had one similar to that back in the 90's, but mine was marked 44W on the bottom of the barrel. Sadly it had been rechambered/rebored for 45-70, but still wore the original barrel. My barrel was only 26" long if I remember right.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
ndnchf, I had one similar to that back in the 90's, but mine was marked 44W on the bottom of the barrel. Sadly it had been rechambered/rebored for 45-70, but still wore the original barrel. My barrel was only 26" long if I remember right.

Nice!  According to Roy Marcot's book. 44W was .44-40 Winchester. 

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »
Yeah, that's what we figured at the time. If it had not been messed with I would never have let it go. Replaced it with a pair of 1870 NY State 50-70s, used my '74 Sharps for long range anyways and my Conn Peabody for military matches, so it's not like I don't have enough 45-70s.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
My .44-77 sporting rifle arrived today. I'm very pleased with it. The bore is bright and shiney with only minor pitting. I doubt it has been apart for a good cleaning in 100 years. The action was full of crud. So I took it completely down for a gentle, but thorough cleaning, lubrication and inspection. Everything looks good, no big issues.

I slugged the bore. The grooves are .4495" at the muzzle, .4505" at the breech. Tomorrow I'll try to measure the lands.

I got 40 pieces of new 43 Spanish thick rim brass and sized one in a 43 Spanish sizer. Then expanded the neck to .446". It chambered nicely. I have 43 Mauser dies coming which should work fine.

I'd like to shoot paper patch bullets. I think they will shoot well in this bore.  ;D

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
I got the .44-77 all cleaned, oiled and back together. It was factory drilled and tapped for a tang sight. I happened to have a new Marbles sight on the shelf with Remington hole spacing, so I mounted it. Its not the same quality as vintage originals, but it will help my aging eyes.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
ndnchf,

What a fine old rifle. Looking forward to a report on how it shoots.

Dave

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
Man, that is sweet! Congrats!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:45 PM »
I don't know how much experience with loading the .44-77, but our own Ranch13 has a good deal of experience. He's been answering my questions and giving me advice regarding that.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 05:00:36 AM »
Ive been doing a lot of research and read many of his helpful posts. This is my first .44-77, but Ive been loading PP and GG for my .40-70 sbn for many years. It is similar, but different. Each one is a new adventure!

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
My guess is it will do great with a good compressed load , it would be interesting to know the velocity difference between the shorter barrel and say a 30 " . My guess it is not that much . Sight radius would be more noticeable than the velocity . The tang sight is a big plus in that regard . Awesome old piece Amigo .,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com