Author Topic: Favorite .44 Russian Loads?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline TexasHighlander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Favorite .44 Russian Loads?
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
Thanks for the great help by Flint and HHW on the mag tube problem!  ::) My wife said it was the first time she could remember me having a problem getting something out! Women have no real understanding of the serious nature of these problems (and don't care after 36 years together!).

I intend to shoot my new girl with black powder or substitute loads. My preference would be to stay with straight black, as I'm used to this from BPCS and my cap n' ball pistols. Does anyone have any "pet" loads they'd be willing to share? Should I use GOEX Ctg Grade or just 3F? Or, is there a substitute that will really improve the performance of the Spencer? The gunsmith at Taylor's was a little "jumpy" about straight black and said I might have operating problems without frequent cleaning and extra care.

I've got a batch of Starline nickeled cases on the way, along with my dies, and I've already got a wad punch. I know if I was loading for my .43 Reformado or .45-70 or .40-65, I'd be using my drop tube, milk carton wads, grease cookies, etc. Is all of that either beneficial or necessary with these little bitty suckers? Any and all suggestions appreciated, as I'm eventually going to end up with a pair of Colt Open Tops to match and will probably be loading a lot of these little suckers.

Also, is there a specific barrel band with swivel available from Dixie that could replace the front band and let me use a standard sling the carbine?

Bill
The Texas Highlander

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Favorite .44 Russian Loads?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:58:09 AM »
What kind of bullets are you using?  Single lube groove or two?  What bullet weights are you planing to use?  A PRS 200 Grain .44 would carry a lot more lube and keep the fouling soft.  If you are planning to use something like the Lyman Traditional or Cowboy 240 grain bullet, then you might need a grease cookie.  The more lube you use the better and longer your accuracy will hold up.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline TexasHighlander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
I've been told by the 'smith at Taylor's that I need to limit my loads to the 200 grain bullet to maintain correct OAL and I'm not set up to cast .44's yet, so I'll probably go with Meister, PRS, Red Line or something similar. Would definitely like a 2 groove if possible, would probably use a thin cookie if I could only get a single groove.

Bill
TTH

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:27:31 AM »

Offline TexasHighlander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:02:33 AM »
I haven't found any specific BP loading data yet for the Russian except the original factory spec. I'm looking at 20-23 Gr of 3F with either the lighter load and a thin cookie with a single groove 200 GR FP or the larger load with a 2 groove 200 Gr FP. Any thoughts or feedback?

Bill
TTH

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »
Just my opinion...
Try Desperado Bullets, softcast w/ soft lube.
Get the 200 grainers sized to .428...they should obturate.
Avoid filler, wads, cards, etc., just stick with powder and slug on top - see how it works.
Desperado will sell you a sampler pack of 100 bullets to give them a try.
Good luck and be careful

Gunner
SSS #1
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR
"..I wanna be a cowboy when I grow up.."

Offline TexasHighlander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 01:25:45 AM »
Much obliged pard'

Bill
TTH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com