Author Topic: Priming 56-50  (Read 2797 times)

Offline courier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Priming 56-50
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:56:54 PM »
Pards,
    What device are you using to put the primers in the 56-50.Most of those listed don't go up to 50 cal.I ground the edges off of a Lyman hand primer,but it won't push the primer in far enough to be safe.What are you all using.Some simply won't take the #22 shell holder.
                                                                                                                        Regards,Courier

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
Re: Priming 56-50
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »
I use a RCBS "Hand Priming Tool".  This accepts the standard RCBS shell holders that go in the reloading press.  I use a Lyman No. 22 shell holder that I reduced the outside diameter on to the same as the RCBS shell holder.  This is a simple machining job in a lathe and could also be done by careful grinding.  A standard RCBS 50-70 shell holder may fit without any modification, you would just have to try it and see.

HHw

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 10:17:21 PM »
The Lee press mounted priming tool will work, just use proper shell holder.  This is the one that mount on the top of the press.  Seen it for $12 -17, add shipping.

Then there is the New Lee Classic Press.  I bought one after the turn of the year.  It comes with two priming arms (small and large) similar to the RCBS and others.

Then, and this was the fun one.  I made my own old style pliers type priming tool before buying the Lee Classic.  Used a 3/4" rod knotched and hole drilled for case head. A 1/2" upper arm with stud and pin.  Stud to press primers in and pin on tapered end to deprime.  Works great and did I say it was fun to make and use.

I went through the same dilemma and asked the same question last year, Sept to Nov.  Also search the board for older info.
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:43 AM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:44:08 AM »
I just use the Primer Arm on my Rock Chucker with a priming tube filled with enough Large Magnum Rifle Primers and a standard .50-70/.56-.50 shell holder.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »
I use an old RCBS jr press and the large priming arm and a #22 shell holder

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »
Just to be honest here, I also drill out the primer flash hole to three-thityseconds of an inch (3/32) to insure positive ignition with Pyrodex and any of the subs when I can't get the real deal, (Black Powder).

This will duplicate to some extent the amount of fire that ignited the original rim fire loads.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com