Author Topic: How do you design your holters, pic added in my last post to help what I ment  (Read 21055 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This question is for all levels of leatherworkers!
I know that some of you pro's get out the Packing Iron book, spot a holster that you like or it strikes your fancy wheter you are making it for your self or for a customer, you just sit down and look and do!
 My handy cap is I havn't learned to crave so that limits me to usesing stamps to make my holsters!
 My question to those that have not carved or carved much you are like me, you have to use your stamps creasers, groovers, ect, do you just start on a piece of leather and Just do it! ??? ???
 i don't do it that way, and it might be because of my lack of artistisc ability, so what i do, (and I want to know if I am the only one that does this) I draw out my pattern and cut it to fit! Then I scan and make me some outline copies, then I lay out my design! So, i have all my stamps scanned into my computer, and then i start getting my ideas, i printout the stamp at it's actucal size then i cut and paste on my holster template. If i don't like it i just keep changing it untill I get it they way I want it to look.
 So i quess I am asking do you see it in your head allready done and start doing it, or do you kinda do it the way I do it?
 I am just trying to understand how most of you pards do things, i know that if you have artistic abilities it has to be a plus in any thing you go to do. Most diffenetly when you care!! It like the guy on pbs that paints he makes it look so easy and all his stuff turns out so good!

If you have any comments or ideas, or how you do it, it might make it better or easier for me and others!1
that is what is so great about this site, everyone is willing to share there idea's and thoughts that might help someone else. :) :)

I hope that everyone that gets a long weekend , is safe and enjoys it's.

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
Re: How do you lay out your holster designs?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
I make a pattern, if I like it, I make it on poster board, if I really like it I put it on masonite.  I like a firm pattern (posterboard/masonite) for laying it out, no chance of a bend in the paper to mess up your tracing.  Plus, if just flip it for a strong side or cross draw, depending on what you need.  I have a slim jim and an early mexican holster in masonite, nice permanent pattern that allows for excellent layouts on flat leather.  I hope this gives you a hint or two.

p.s., if you have peg board, you can hang the masonite patterns with just a drilled hole,

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:04:33 AM »
I usually make patterns on manilla folders or poster board. I seldom make two holsters exactly the same so I'm continuously modifying them. To make changes, I trace the pattern on another sheet and draw the changes before cuttiing it out. For holsters, I put the centerline of the holster on the fold of the manilla folder. Then I cut out the main part with it folded over so front and back fit exactly. The top curve and skirt areas get cut out when it's flat because they are different. I often have to tape a skirt on since a folder isn't large enough to accomodate the whole thing. Then I transfer that to poster board. There are a few I use many times, but if the pattern gets worn, I just make a new one. I do have a few that I'll transfer to something else some day, but I haven't figured out what that something else is yet. Maybe thin nylon stencil material. We'll see about that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:17:25 AM »
Man, I bet I went through half a ream of paper for my first ones. Cut and tape, that was the name of the game.
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
I am sorry guys!! I didn't word the first post the way I entended it to !!
 I have the template of holster makingdown decent, because of the years I did wood working. What I am asking is the design pattern of borders, stamps, carving (which I have not learned) i had put that in the first post, but i didn't go a head and explain.
What I am asking::Lets say I have found the style of holster that I want to make, most likely something out of Packing Iron so I make my patern, thenI lay my pattern folded in half with the outside of my holster pattern  laying flat on my scanner  bed, then I scan it in with adobe photo shop, after scanning, I print off a couple of 3 or so, and start drawing out my design's borders ect. Siince I have scanned in my stamps that I have, to there proper size, then I print out what ever stamp pictures I think I my want to use on my holster! I might have to reprint and reprint, untill I have the right stamps to use.
 So the Question was to you Pards is, do you see the design look (borders stamps carving ect) in your head and then start doing the work on your cased leather, or do you have to do what I do, or draw it on the patern?
  I know you Pro's that can carve most likely see a holster and already have a idea how you want to carve it and border it, but I am asking those that cannot free hand carve, how do you make up your mind as to what you put on the holster?

Sorry I didn't do a good job the first post.
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
AAAH, I see what you are getting at Ace.
I usually take a scrap piece of leather, and make the actual design on that. Borders dont seem to matter much as far as one being "wrong", but its still good to see what you are thinking.
If I make a rosette, or if I am putting a name or something, I wll also put that on scrap so I can lay it down and get spacing right, or see if the rosette is in the right spot.
Other than that, I just wing it and make it work.
Yours is a great idea tho. Too bad you couldnt just use a draw program to copy and paste them right on the screen! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Dalton has it right, there. Try it out on a scrap first. On border designs I want to use in the future, I usually save a sample of it for future reference if the item won't be around after I make it. Black tends to hide details and the pattern can get lost in itself if it's too detailed or complex. Simple designs work better with black where more decorative ones can hold their own on brown or lighter colors.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Know we are getting somwhere :)DM, I wished I had a draw program, but since I can't draw it wouldn't do me any good HA HA
DM and MW, I like the scrap leather ides, but it is much easier and (cheaper) do it on paper! Because I format my holster on my computer and print it out, even if it is to big to print on standard paper i just cut it and print in to pieces and tape toghter!
Yes the scrap leather would be less trouble.
 But that is what I wanted to know, if if you guys wing it or draw it out befor you do it?
Thanks for the replys!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
Howdy Ace

Well Ace i guess i'm lucky that way, i usually picture things in my mine, and then go at it, unless i see something new i might want to consider , then i might try it out on scrap first. ???

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
TW and the rest of the gang, if you have that ability to just grab a piece of leather and make a awesome holters Like I have seen you guys do, I envy you, because I can see a style, but because I cannot carve i have to lay it out to see what stamps go with the style and the period to fit the holster!

Thanks so much for the reply from you all.
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Ace,

I don't know about the other pards but it took me years before I got to where I am now.  It sometimes comes down to trial and error...if you knew how many holsters are sitting in the dump because I did something wrong or made a mistake....an example of the time that is sometimes required.  the holster I did with the inlaid rattlesnake..I ran that design through my mind for almost 4 months before I attempted to make it.  I ran through the assembly so many times that when I finally did make it it took me exactly 6 hours from the time I first started cutting leather.

I best thing to do as the rest of the pards have already indicated....take your time...do it on paper first...get the design fine tuned...then go for the construction.  Work on each aspect of the design/construction sequence until you have mastered each one...it takes time...I am still learning after all these years of doing this...I have learned alot in this forum..thanks to all the pards.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Outrider, i thank you so much for repluing and for telling me how much thinking you did to get were you are??
That means a lot to me :o And then the amount of time to so the carving  :o that help, I been working all day today and most the day yesterdat getting my pattern just right for this pompell stle double crossdraw, I am in no hurry know that I have got my feet good and wet, I want to make this holster a holster that anyone would be pround to wear, still looking for my napkin rings, got out bit on the set I wanted, they have lite lilly scrolling on  them and the holster is going to a have a lilly flare to it, o well I will fing a pair.
Thanks
ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
When I was starting out with tooling, I always had a picture of something similar to what I was doing so I'd know which stamps did what while I was working. You're on the right track. Many books on tooling show which stamps work for a particular design and whatever you do is always similar to something illustrated. so you move a leaf here and a flower there, the design is still done the same way in the same order. Don't worry about knowing all about it right away. That comes with time and lots of repetition. Meanwhile, whatever it takes to keep your work going the way you want is the right way to do it.

LOL, I hope some of my long sentences that try to say a lot without stopping to start another sentence don't sound too confusing because they can sure get long-winded and tend to be hard to understand, especially when you're trying to make sense out of them by seeing all the concepts contained within without getting lost or giving up on the whole translation and starting to look for a better way to get the ideas rather than drive yourself nuts with them. ;D

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Howdy, Pard,

For most of my holsters I use a simple border, applied to the cased (wet) leather with an overstitch wheel with a chainlink roller in the handle instead of the overstich "star".  I mark the pattern (matboard) where I want the border and then cut out the inside.  I place the pattern on the leather and mark the outline of the holster and the line where I want the border using a red ballpoint pen.  After cutting the holster out, I wet the leather and then roll the wheel around the red ink line.  If I apply any other stampings it is then done around the inside and outside of the rolled border.  A rosette or two is then stamped inside the arches of the harp-shaped pattern.

Most of my carving, when it is requested, is of the "insized" type.  Usually I freelance this, mostly floral patterns.  I use drafting mylar and blue plastic pencil leads in a draftsman's pencil.  First, I draw the outline of the holster area on the mylar, and then draw the pattern inside the outline of the holster.  I then take the mylar, place it over the dampened leather, and trace over the blue lines with a red plastic lead, or just a ballpoint pen.  This transfers the floral patterns to the leather.  By using a different color lead or the pen, I can see where I have traced the pattern and where I have not.  Once that is done, I remove the mylar, and save it for another time.  If I am doing rights and lefts, I can simply flop the mylar over.  Then I use whatever carving and stamping tools for the leaves, stems, and whatever background stamping I want done. 

That may not be the "right" way, but that's the way I do it.  Hope this helps.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
MW,  No problem on long sentence, I hope that you guys can put up with my bad spelling. if i had to make ever word spelled right I would have to use a dictionary and it would take me all day to make a post!
 MW, I thank you for they way you replied, not to get to fancy at the start, and work your way up :) I don't know what I would due with out you pards!
  Trailrider I also thank you for you suggestion, I  think I am going to start carving a set of spur straps, and going to use some dowel rod and some broken scewdivers to make me some modeling tools, and for this simple job I should get by okay!

Thanks a bunck to all!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
how to design a pattern for the holster im about to do?

good question. use whatever works for you. I dont have the fancy computer software and dont have the knowhow to use that software.

If I decide to carve the holster instead of stamping it, I grab butcher paper to make my design. once i have the final holster shap figured out, i draw several copies of the holster shape. then i grab my books and start looking at different styles of tooling ideas.
for example oak leaves. i grab the oak leaves book from leatherfactory, and the ale stolman oak leaves pattern book.
then i just trace oak leaves from both books till i have a design that looks good. butcher paper is semi transparent that i can see the pattern in book through the paper.

it took me 2 weeks to finalize my ruger old army holster pattern. everytime i looked at the pattern it just did not flow right to me.
i got fed up one nite and tossed out all my tracings and started completely from the start. that nite it just clicked and i had the pattern withen 30 mins.
i saved that pattern for when i make my crossdraw i can match the first holster.

for stamping a holster i decide if i want a simple border stamp design or a baskett design with a border.
either style i will use my wing dividers to scribe a light line about 3/4 to 7/8 in from the edge of the holster. i only scribe the outside 3 edges of the holster main body area. i dont scribe the bent over area cause you wont see that when holster is in use.
i will scribe a short line at top and botton past the folded area so i know where to finish off my stamping.
if someone wants the skirt to match main body of holster then i just do a border stamp same measurement from edge as the main body. but dont worry about stamping a border on the folded area of the skirt(area that becomes the belt loop) noone is gonna see that, so yo dont have to stamp in that area.

the picture is of the holster that took me 2 weeks to design. its for my ruger old army 7' barrell.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
this picture is a example of a pouch that i designed with just a border stamp and one 3-d stamp.

I used the wing dividers to set my border line to where it looked right to me. I then just stamped the border over the scribed line to keep it straight. then i just set the 3-d stamp on the leather and moved it around till it looked centered in the area that i wanted and whacked it with the hammer.

then i chose to use a snap to fasten the flap closed.

this was a easy one to stamp for me.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Knucklehead,

Great looking holster.

Trailrider...is there a right way and a wrong way to lay something out...what ever works for you (and from what I have seen it does) is the correct way of doing it...By the way I do it the same way you do  ;D ;D :D :D ;) ::)
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Howdy Pards,

This a great topic. Lots of good ideas and suggestions.

I use methods learned from Al Stohlman's book and Chuck Burrow's DVD to develop the pattern and overall design of the holster. All of my holsters are designed and wet-molded for a specific gun. I usually get a pretty good fit of the gun to the holster. My edges and finishing of the leather are starting to come around thanks to the help received on this forum.

As I have not yet learned how to tool, my holsters just have border stamping. I usually jump right in and start the stamping without doing a lot of planning. Sometimes I get in trouble. This topic has opened my eyes a bit regarding the planning of the decoration of the item. I'm going to have make a serious effort to put a little more thought into the planning and layout of my stamping. Someday I am going to learn how to tool.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Johnny McCrae,

sometimes you dont have to put a lot of thought into the design.
some days i can start on a holster and the design just seams to flow right out of my brain and onto paper very easy. I can get the holster finished except for assembly that same day.
I will let the dye setup overnite before i sew the holster together.
I know that Chuck Burrow's dvds show dying leather after you sew it together. but i dye holster before i sew it.
usually i do it this way cause i use the tandy antique dyes. using antique dyes is like staining wood brush on heavy wipe off excess. then use a damp sponge to take more dye off if desired. therefore sewing after dying is easier for me.

Ace Lungger,
what everyone hear is saying is right. there is no right way to design your holster design.
design it the way that works for you.

and to get some ideas in designing holsters look up hidecrafter online. they have some great videos on tooling, stamping, coloring leather. dont shy away from the titles if it doesn't have holster in it. the videos will help you  learn how to tool other styles and you will be able to adapt it to holster making.

the videos have helped me out alot. in fact i still look at them from time to time when there is nothing on tv and i dont have any motavation to tool anything. the videos actually get me motavated to do some leatherworking.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com