Author Topic: Italian 1872 Open tops- difference between Army and Navy models  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Italian 1872 Open tops- difference between Army and Navy models
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
Thinking about a 5.5 inch bbl 1872 open top in 45lc and have a few questions. Whats the difference between an army or navy model? Is it caliber, bbl length or grip size? I?d want the bigger grips if thats the difference. Is there a preferred brand, Cimarron, uberti, Taylors&Co or are they all pretty much the same? I think that I want to get an 1872 and a Schofield to go with my 1873 full stock carbine ala Crossfire Trail.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Italian 1872 Open tops- difference between Army and Navy models
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 11:50:06 PM »
Pretty much just the grip.  They all come from Uberti.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
Ed,  what Drydock said is correct, the grip size is the only difference (plus Army gripframe is all steel).  However, you may have a problem finding a 5.5" with the Army grip.  This may have changed (look on Cimarron and Taylors websites to compare models), but the way it used to be was that the Navy versions came in any barrel length, but the Army came only in the 7.5".  Finding someone who wants to swap Navy for Army grip set shouldn't be too hard, though.

Advertising

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:52:14 PM »

PLUS ONE to Abilene.

Yep.  A COLD Sunday.  And I'm Bored.  Not to forget, you can swap any length barrel on any Open Top so long as you match caliber.  Some fitting may be required.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »
There?s a gun show in Raleigh this month, maybe I?ll find one there that if I don?t buy I can at least see how it feels in hand.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »
When the Open Tops first came out, I ordered one each of the Army and Navy in 45 Schofield. I later replaced the brass grip straps on the Navy with a set of steel from an Uberti London Navy and added fake ivory grips to them. Then I acquired two extra cylinders and 7 1/2" barrels in 44 Colt so I'd have two options for shooting them (also that was about the time everyone started seeing cracks in the 45 cal barrels). All because I got enamored with a dug-up 1872 frame and cylinder I use for a paperweight. What can I say, they're addicting. ;D

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
I'm always open to swapping my brass Navy grips on my 4 3/4" Open Top for a set of blued steel army size grips. Just purchased the OT this past summer, hence they're like new. Would require any I swap for though to be in pretty good shape, ie no rust pits, dings, gouges, or misuse.  :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
I just ordered a Tom Selleck dvd 3 pack of Monte Walsh, Sabre River and Crossfire Trail. I?ve only seen bits and pieces of two of them so I?m looking forward to some good westerns next weekend. By next year I?ll have a Tom Selleck outfit put together with proper firearms.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
Three of my favorite westerns!!  Tom Selleck, 1872 Open Top, 1860 Richards Conversion, 1875 Schofield, and 1860 Henry.....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com