Author Topic: Let's talk about these two boys. Uniforms with civilian guns?  (Read 9141 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Here are two young men from the 1880s in the New Mexico Territory. They appear to be wearing army issued uniforms for the most part. Their shirts appear to be Pattern 1883. One fellow has the sleeve of an undershirt just visible which could be a Pattern 1881. They both appear to be wearing drab hats similar to the '84 style. The guy on the left appears to be in '72 trousers and the guy on the right is wearing wool trousers that are probably '84s though it is hard to tell. The guy on the right is wearing a Mills belts of the 1885 pattern.

That is where the military stops and the civilian kicks in. The Guy on the right has a civilian  gun belt with a cross draw holster. The pistol in it appears to be an 1873 SAA which could be military issue. The guy on the left also wears civilian  gun belt with a Mexican loop holster and what appears to be an 1877 Colt Lightning or 1878 Thunderer. The guy on the right has a Winchester Model 1873 rifle and the guy on the left has a muzzle loading double barreled shotgun.

Here is the question, are these guys foragers posing as if they are hunting for game? Are they using studio props? Are they recently mustered out soldiers who retain their military clothing but who have purchased their own guns? Are they posing with their own private purchase guns while in the Military.

Discuss...
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Let's talk about these two boys. Uniforms with civilian guns?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
Looking at the gun on the left it may also have a third, under barrel.
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
I don't get any 'military' vibe whatsoever, but I do get a 'studio-posed/studio props' one of two young men from 'back East' getting a photo taken that shows they're in the 'Wild and Wooly West'.

Pullover shirts - whether Army-issued or civilian purchased - were rife during the time, and unless the hats could be viewed from the side, the style was commensurate with what was the norm.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
Studio shot.  Couple of guys wanting to look "Wild West".  Times change, people do not!   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline High Sierra

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »
Here are two young men from the 1880s in the New Mexico Territory. They appear to be wearing army issued uniforms for the most part. Their shirts appear to be Pattern 1883. One fellow has the sleeve of an undershirt just visible which could be a Pattern 1881. They both appear to be wearing drab hats similar to the '84 style. The guy on the left appears to be in '76 trousers and the guy on the right is wearing wool trousers that are probably '84s though it is hard to tell. The guy on the right is wearing a Mills belts of the 1885 pattern.

That is where the military stops and the civilian kicks in. The Guy on the right has a civilian  gun belt with a cross draw holster. The pistol in it appears to be an 1873 SAA which could be military issue. The guy on the left also wears civilian  gun belt with a Mexican loop holster and what appears to be an 1877 Colt Lightning or 1878 Thunderer. The guy on the right has a Winchester Model 1873 rifle and the guy on the left has a muzzle loading double barreled shotgun.

Here is the question, are these guys foragers posing as if they are hunting for game? Are they using studio props? Are they recently mustered out soldiers who retain their military clothing but who have purchased their own guns? Are they posing with their own private purchase guns while in the Military.

Discuss...
I would say the guy on the right is holding a Model 1876 Winchester. His gun belt is a crossdraw with cartridges for his pistol so because he is wearing a Mills rifle cartridge belt for rifle cartridges I would say he is holding a model 1876. Its that guy on the left with the shotgun that keeps me wondering. I have never seen a shotgun like that. Interesting picture.

HS

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:57:56 AM »
The rifle on the left has three triggers and a third under-barrel...a percussion drilling.

I'm thinking studio props.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
The scene itself appears to be a studio set.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
Howdy,
The gun on the left is strange indeed.  The third barrel is fired from an under-hammer.
Regards
Colt

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:25 AM »
I don't get any 'military' vibe whatsoever, but I do get a 'studio-posed/studio props' one of two young men from 'back East' getting a photo taken that shows they're in the 'Wild and Wooly West'.

Pullover shirts - whether Army-issued or civilian purchased - were rife during the time, and unless the hats could be viewed from the side, the style was commensurate with what was the norm.

Scouts Out!

Am I the only one who seed these fellers as boys in blue?

Think Geronimo (Mid 80s) not Sitting Bull (Mid 70s)
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
Howdy,
The gun on the left is strange indeed.  The third barrel is fired from an under-hammer.
Regards
Colt

Good catch.  I missed that.  Does it appear that it has two ramrods, one on either side?  Might indicate shotgun and rifle barrels...which is still common today.  Usually a rifle barrel under a pair of smooth bores, although I've seem a smoothbore and rifle on top and a smaller rifle caliber below.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »
Note the suspender buttons.  Issue trousers of the 1880s would not have those, (Could have been added of course) also the big watch pocket is suspicious, and the trousers may even be two different shades.  See also the creases indicating shelf storage. (the army did not become enamoured of creases until after WW1)   Definatly done in a studio, and most studios of the day even had uniform items for those who wanted it.  I just don't see much active duty here I'm afraid.  Wool pants and pullover flannel were pretty universal at the time.

Take another look at the guy on the left.  Thats a Mexican Double loop holster, with a DA revolver! Probably a Colt 1878.  The holster seems to indicate this was taken in the 1890s, probably close to 1900 give or take a few years.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
That type of shirt was popular with civilians in the late 19th and early 20th Century.  Think of the Remington Calander guy with the Model 8 meeting the Gizzly on the narrow trail.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
I would say the guy on the right is holding a Model 1876 Winchester. His gun belt is a crossdraw with cartridges for his pistol so because he is wearing a Mills rifle cartridge belt for rifle cartridges I would say he is holding a model 1876. Its that guy on the left with the shotgun that keeps me wondering. I have never seen a shotgun like that. Interesting picture.

HS

I doubt it's a '76.  (I could be wrong.)  The receiver just doesn't look long enough for that.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline High Sierra

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »
I doubt it's a '76.  (I could be wrong.)  The receiver just doesn't look long enough for that.
Considering it most likely is a studio set you could be right.

HS

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
In a studio shot - what would it matter?

The props were there to be photographed - not because the ammunition was compatible with whatever firearm was selected by the subject.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
Wouldn't be the first studio shot that showed up like that.  If you look carefully at enough studio photo's you can find ones by the same photgrapher that several guys have the same gun rig on. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
My favorite studio prop gun is the Folbert that Ned Huddleson aka Isom Dart had in his photo.  I've searched and have found no more photo's by this photographer to see if it was in any others, but I bet it was.  ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
Note the suspender buttons.  Issue trousers of the 1880s would not have those, (Could have been added of course) also the big watch pocket is suspicious,

Model 1872 trousers had both the watch pocket and the suspender buttons.

SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
See also the creases indicating shelf storage. (the army did not become enamoured of creases until after WW1)  

Creases do not rule out the military.

SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
My favorite studio prop gun is the Folbert that Ned Huddleson aka Isom Dart had in his photo.  I've searched and have found no more photo's by this photographer to see if it was in any others, but I bet it was.  ;)

This one ?
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com