Author Topic: GAF Priority Prayer Alert  (Read 7993 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: GAF Priority Prayer Alert
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
I am so sorry to hear that. My prayers are with Gregg. I would love to know more about how the misfire happened since I own and shoot several Mausers.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
"Lord, comfort all those that grieve and mourn this day, and those in pain of any kind. Amen"

Pray tell how this incident came to happen so we can learn how not to repeat it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
"This was a '91 Mauser in .308. We never found the bolt. But it had an aftermarket safety made to clear the scope." - partial quote from MG on the SASSWire."

Obviously some sort of mechanical malfunction. He does mention that he had a problem with a Remington 700 some years ago, but sent it back to the factory for repair. I also remember a hunter in a party I was with who had his rifle discharge when he closed the bolt, rather than opening the bolt. This was about 40+ years ago, and I don't recal the make and model of the rifle. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but it scared the only bull elk and harem seen on that hunting trip.

The only thing I can suggest is if you have a rifle that is not a fairly modern design, and/or has been modified in the bolt/safety/trigger area, that it might be a good idea to cycle the action rapidly, with the chamber and magazine empty
to see if you can induce such a problem!

Again, we pray for a speedy recovery for Greg.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:07:21 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »

Mustang Gregg, praying for speedy and complete recovery!

As for the malfunction, I don't know what could have happened., unless it had something to do with the aftermarket safety, or perhaps some "trigger work" had been done, since it is a sporter. I just puller my '91 out of the safe to re-familiarize myself with it. The '91 is a cock on closing action, and when I open the bolt, the spring pressure on the striker simply pushes the bolt backwards as soon as the locking lugs clear. So once the bolt is unlocked, the pressure immediatly is off of the striker spring. Perhaps part of the sporterization was a cock on opening mod? I know they have done this on other actions, don't know about '91s, though.

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
Prayers up for Mustang Gregg........ that he will receive full use of his thumb when he recovers.
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com