Author Topic: LEST WE FORGET  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
LEST WE FORGET
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
It is the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day 11:00am 11 Nov 18

Time again to remember all fallen soldiers.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LEST WE FORGET
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »

Thanks to all you VETS out there, we wouldn't have the great life we do without you....

Regards

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
Sir Charles

Here in the East , we just returned from our local Remembrance Day Service.
It is a time for remembrance , sadness and joy.
To remember all who have fallen for the values we hold dear .
Sadness for the families who have lost loved ones.
Joy for the Freedom and Life they gave to us all.

Bless them and may God hold them and all who serve close to His Heart.

Dutchy

Proud to have served , now 'living the dream'

"A" Coy. Nova Scotia Highlanders
"H" Div. Troop 50 RCMP
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:56:51 AM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »
On Sunday the British and Australian contingents at the base I'm temporarily at held a Remembrance Day church service.  There were no Canadians present, but one of the Brits represented them in the ceremonies, which were very simple but moving.  Only about 6 Yanks attended. 

Today the Air Force held a Veteran's Day retreat ceremony.  I thought it appropriate to do so, but it paled in comparison to what the Commonwealth forces put on the other day. 

However, I acquired a poppy and have worn it proudly the last week I've been here.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
Words can't express the feelings I have on this Day of Rememberance.

All sacrificed some; some sacrificed all.
We honor all who answered the call
Gone but not forgotten, heroes one and all.

I thought you all might enjoy this video:

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en_video.htm
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

You know it really burns me, I put my flag out this morning, and I looked around the neighborhood, and my house is the only house flying the FLAG, even my neighbor that just got back from duty, isn't flying a flag, we have way to meany people that take things for granted, I hope they all wake up soon, of course I live in California, where they think more about GAY MARRIAGE than any thing else, Man I have to get out of here.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »
Great Video . We Remember.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:59:48 PM »
Heart felt thanks for the sacrifice of all the veterans past and present and their families. Our country is richly blessed to have men and women like you.

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Amen.

I can count on one hand the # of flags flown on my street and I live in a snooty suburb.  I'm embarrassed.  I work for a retailer that, like all too many businesses, uses the occasion as an excuse to have a special sales event.  For the second year, I asked HQ corp communications to broadcast an email giving thanks to all our veteran employees.  No response.  We've got 3 veterans in my department and I personally thanked them, like I did last year.

Well, those sacrifices were made so I could (among so many freedoms I enjoy) have the right and opportunty to get pissed and express my frustration, which I did again this morning at a staff meeting.

I do so little...

Thanks to all of you veterans.

BP

I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
Wore my ribbons yesterday and got a few thank always feels rewarding.
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
For me, I am proud of our military and peacekeeping accomplishments.  (Ask the 1st Cav Div. who saved their butts at Kapyong.) It is also the case that Canadians, except me of course, prefer to keep a low profile.  That too, is typical of small creatures sharing the stable with the elephant.

Besides;  By keeping a low profile no one notices how much we can influence our neighbours.

Oh SH##!  Now I've let the cat out of the bag!

Lest we forget!

British newspaper article - re Canada

British news  paper salutes Canada . . . this is a good read.  It is funny how  it took someone in England to put it into words...    Sunday Telegraph  Article From today's UK wires: 
    Salute to a  brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, 'The Sunday Telegraph' LONDON:

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan , probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region.

And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.. It seems that Canada's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out, she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped Glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the United States, and for being a selfless friend of Britain in two global conflicts.

For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions: It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet it's purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada 's entire population of seven million people  served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, it's unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the  popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the 'British.'

The Second World  War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Atlantic against U-boat attack.  More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the Normandy landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone.

Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth largest air force in the world. The world thanked  Canada with the same sublime indifference as it had  the previous time.

Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which  the United States had clearly not participated - a  touching scrupulousness which, of course, Hollywood has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in Hollywood keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular  perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British.

It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to  be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as  unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say  of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that  1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the  world's peacekeeping forces.

Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on  non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular non-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in  Somalia, in which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit.

So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given it in Afghanistan?

Rather like Cyrano de Bergerac, Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun.   It is the  Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost. This past year more  grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Lest we forget.

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
Sir Chas deM - I was not near any Canadians (I was in Iraq) during my deployments but I saw other commonwealth nations' participation in the effort . And no matter what front your nation's assistance was on, your partnership is appreciated in this and in the other other wars - when you guys were there for the duration.

It was nice to spend this Remembrance day at home this year (well, in D.C. as I am not in my home state at present). As you know, with yankees like me, being in one's face with good news often times is better than a low profile...it's what we south of the border seem to understand best).

My regards to you, all in Canada who have sacrificed, and to the other Commonwealth nations,

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
Add to that list of wonderful Canadian talent that has blessed the world:
John Candy
Rick Moranis
Mike Myers
Avril Lavigne
Gordon Lightfoot

(there are countless more, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind. I'll bet we can all lengthen this list.)

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »
Add to that list of wonderful Canadian talent that has blessed the world:
John Candy
Rick Moranis
Mike Myers
Avril Lavigne
Gordon Lightfoot

(there are countless more, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind. I'll bet we can all lengthen this list.)

Raymond Massey
Rod Cameron
Yvonne De Carlo (McLintock)
Lorne Green (Ben Cartwright)
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason/Ironsides)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
The Great Canadian Conspiracy

http://raincoaster.com/2008/02/13/the-canadian-conspiracy/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285470/

I love CANADIAN!  The beer, that is!

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 02:55:07 AM »
When I was a young Marine back at the tailend of the Vietnam conflict, we had a Canadian in my platoon.  I can't remember his name but recall that he was a good Marine.  He returned to Canada when his enlistment ended.

When I was in Iraq a few years ago, we had quite a few Brits and Aussies with us, but the only Canadians I saw where inside the Green Zone. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »
Sacrifice in the defense and name of Freedom is sacrifice, and needs to be remembered regardless of that person's country of origin.  For this, we are all eternally grateful.  Sadly, we lost a local (Colorado) resident to an IED yesterday!   :'(  God rest his soul!

To our Canadian friends and allies: Thanks for the talent you have provided U.S. and the world.

Godspeed to all those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
This thread has wandered a bit, and I take responsibility for part of that.  Death itself has no nationality, it is merely but absolutely final until we reach up yonder. 

I am saddened by all losses.  It is unfortunate that we haven't found a better way than violence and war to solve our petty squabbles.  Compared to death, all problems are petty.

There are reasons we go to war, self defence, enforcement of the rule of law, to punish those who kill indiscriminately to further their selfish aims, and many more.  Each has to be carefully weighed before we send our young men & women into harms way.

I've gotten a bit philosophical here, but we can't ignore the human costs of our actions.

LEST WE FORGET!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com