Author Topic: Here's my wood , hee hee  (Read 3938 times)

Alabama

Here's my wood , hee hee
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
Here's my wood for my next Colt Repro 1860 grips project.
Nice chunk for $3.68 including tax for Skeletor ( Christine Gregoire ) our Governor .
This chunk is 4" X 16" by 7/8" thick . Picture does not do it justice but it is beautiful anyway .
This is going on the new Full Fluted Cylinder 1860 Army Uberti Repro I just got in todays UPS .
Will post finish product soon  ;D

Black Walnut .......... ;D

Alabama

Offline Rusty Spurless

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Here's my wood , hee hee
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Nice piece of wood & should make for a fun project.

Just realize you will have to do a glue up. The 1860 has 1 piece grip.
Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
Naw Rusty , I don't do glue ups , I do Remington mods, pinned frame two peice grips , Brownells estchutsens , never had a problem . Several hundred pairs, no come backs, no complaints, ever .
The Colts a natural for it . Thick brass gripframe ,easy to drill for 1/8" roll pin , try it soemtime Rusty Spurless .

Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:47:10 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:27 PM »
Ho Alabama,

I've got me a hunk of fiddleback maple that's been talkin' to me.  It wants to get mounted on my brace of ROAs.  The Ruger common rosewood grips just don't sing to me.  I'm thinkn' that brass backstraps might just look good with fiddleback maple.

Anyway, my question is this. . . Should I use my duplicarver, or simply saw 'em out close and whittle to size?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:23 PM »
"Skeletor"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Rusty Spurless

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
I may have to try that. Ive got a piece of quilted maple that I got from Hershel House 20+ yrs ago. Its roughsawn into the shape of a kentucky pistol.
Planned on making same but hell... Ifin I aint made it in 20yr odds are I aint gonna.  :-[

Theres enough wood there I could prolly outfit most of my pistols with it if I went the pinned rout.
Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »
Mr Dick Dastardly ,

I don't have one of them thar fandangled shaper-carver tools you gots in your arsenal of gun tricks, so I just take the old grips make the pattern on my blank , cut it close with Jap bladed jig-saw to 1/4" over and then hand beltsand to near perfect, then hand sand to perfect. I always do my flats of the frame first to fit then shape the rest . Remington I do the round area that fits the frame first, a must on a Remington . I don't use a moto-tool for anything on guns excpet inletting actions of rifles . Small hand held belt sanders are my ticket to a good time . Be very carefull , oops happens quickly  ;D. The Remington round part I use hand files . Go slow , fit fit fit fit many many times to get perfect .

After I have fitted the grips to perfect I then drill for estchutsens and only then . I learned that the hard way  ;)
Then when tis all done , finish on , etc , etc , I drill the grips frame for 1/8 roll pin to hold panels firm , just in case they move around when fireing . I have found that is easiest for me .
Yes, brass lends itself well for Maple , lookey here . And the grips are not in place yet on this one they are curing on the gun before I roll pinned it . I had a slight curve in one panel of grip and I had to try to take it out . It worked . If you don't get enoughfinish on the back of your grip warping is possible . ALways finish the inside of your grips too  ;D Especially on your first coat of oil or it can warp it from the moisture of the oils just being onthe one side  .  ;D

Have fun and I would do them by hand even if I had a machine .  ;) Please post a pic when your done too I want to see your work .

Alabama

Alabama

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 06:46:37 AM »
Mossyrock ,
I knew you would get that joke , and it aint no joke really  :-\  :o
She's a scarey lady and I use that lady term loosely .

Alabama

Offline Rusty Spurless

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 07:10:29 AM »
I just snapped a pic of that quilted maple... More I think about it the more I like the idea of making grips with it.

After really looking at it again I think 4 sets of grips is more realistic.

Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »
Nice wood Rusty Spurless .

( Don't tell anyone around here your making two peice grips for a Colt , you'll get Flamed for it and opinions up the kazzoooo like I just did over on STORM , good grief . I wish I would have at least asked for the opinions of my craft , on a post about the Uberti 1860 , but I did not  ;)  If you don't ride a freekin horse to the CAS matches your a hypocrit . Period correct ? Two peice, one peice grips, who cares , I am a gunsmith , gunsmiths make what they make then and now , and it would be period correct in any design they so dreamt up anyway then or now . Good grief . Rant over .  ;D )

Your right, after 20 years  ;D Would make a dandy Flinter or Percussion pistol stock though Rusty Spurless .  ;D
Nice peice of figured maple , yes indeed ....

Alabama

Offline Rusty Spurless

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:47 AM »
Well that hunk of wood is about 2 3/4" think. I can make them one piece.

I even got a horse...  ;)  ::)  ;D
Rusty Spurless

Dark Lord of Soot
Warthog
SASS #63360
NCOWS #3096
USFA CSS
STORM

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
If you have access to a "pallet yard" where wooden pallets are made, get friendly with the owner. I had a paper pallet come in a few years ago made of full inch by full 8" boards. It was headed for the junk pile when I took a look at it. Every board was furniture grade birds eye maple. Beautiful stuff. I sold it (for a lot less than it was worth) to a local Kentucky rifle builder.  A lot of paper is now coming in from the far east and some of it has some rather exotic hardwood pallets.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
Howdy!

Alabama, I just tried to IM you and is says it can't find you!   ??? ??? ??? ???

You need to get in touch with the good Marshal Halloway or Camille Eonich and they'll fix it.

I'll send you an e-mule about grips.

SHB
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
Alabama,

That piece of wood you have there looks really nice.  It should make some very nice grips.  And as for the technique you use to attach them to your revolver, if it works use it.  Sounds like your method works.  I think I might have to try it.  Now to find some wood.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »
Thanks Ransom Gaer ,
if you have problems getting good wood , then let me know , my suppliers have lots . Problem is you can't pick it out yourself that way ????
I believe Mr. Dastardly stated he had a ton of Birdseye Maple , maybe he would let some go ????

Sincerely, Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com