Author Topic: Pietta 1873 BP opinions ?  (Read 4753 times)

Alabama

Pietta 1873 BP opinions ?
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
Hi Folks , just got this revovler today , it's the 1873 in BP by Pietta , new 2008 production .

1st off , I am going to do grips on her for sure , what do you think might look better on this , out of the two blanks here , the Birdseye Maple or the Crotch Cut Black Walnut ? The Birdseye in the pic is highly birdseyed the pic is just bad . The Black Walnut has high figure and lots of Fiddle Back too . I am in a quandry of which one is going to pull out the nicest look on the case hardening and blue-black barrel and backstrap and triggerguard on this revolver .  ???
Curious to what you think here , and what you would pick if it were yours to make some grips on it ? I wanted some American wood and not some fancy exotics I use on allot my revolvers , so this is what I bought from my guy today . I couldn't pick from either one at his shop today which one I liked best for the revolver , so had to buy both of course . I still can't freekin decide  :o  ??? I need some honest opinions here . Not about the gun , because I know some of you are purests and this gun is taboo , but the wood is pure Americana  ;D
This isn't a gun review here either , I will save that for elsewhere , but I will say this newest Pietta stuff is very well made . I was expecting a terrible Pietta trigger pull and did not get one, its crisp and light, no creep at all . Hmmmmmm , makes me wonder if Pietta has finally started listening to us or is tired of hearing "ME" whine to them . Trust me I am a pain in thier A$$ for a long time , so I know I may be somewhat instrumental here in getting them to get up on the quality control Pony and ride , especially with thier trigger pulls . I hope I see the trend continue too ? The last two Piettas I have bought have been crisp and pretty .
So what do you think ???????
Here she is , unmolested till dark !!!  ;D

She sure feels good in the hand too , pretty nice revolver for $375

Alabama  ;D

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pietta 1873 BP opinions ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »
Alabama I'm purdy sure I'd put the put the Black Walnut on mine. And you may put some on mine if you like ;D I have a Uberti 1873BP SAA 7 1/2 bbl bought it 3 years ago and it's one of the most accurate Revs I have. Smoooth action nice trigger.
Congrads on the yur new Rev...

SG
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:53:11 AM »
Thanks for the input Smokin Gun ,
My Gal likes the walnut too  :) So does my Dad , seams to be the trend so far .  ;D
And your right on the money about the Uberti , especially in the 7-1/2" barrel you go there, which is the same one I have too , they are accurate , very accurate . 
I wanted a  gunslinger size this time and also wanted to check out Piettas newest revolvers , so I had to get this one ,
 of course I " HAD " too dont ya know  ;D Glad I did too , she is rather purdy . Oughta make a nice crossdraw revolver on the double rig with the Uberti .

Thanks again , Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:24 PM »

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:42 AM »
I vote for the walnut. But, I'm a little prejudiced, I prefer using good walnut in my own work over maple most of the time. ;D
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »
Looks like the Walnuts have it !
Blancks are cut , belt sanded , ready for hand sanding , estchutsens and finish , should be done next week to post some pics. Mighty fine looking walnut this time, should finish out extrordinary , good tiger stripping in them , are sure to POP when they get some gloss . Gonna make darn fine crossdraw revolver for my 7-1/2" to keep company with that's for sure.

Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com