Author Topic: LeMat Navy opinions please  (Read 6772 times)

Alabama

LeMat Navy opinions please
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »
Howdee yall ,
I have wanted the Navy model Le Mat forever ( that's a long darn time  ) . And I finally have the money  ;D
I have researched and researched and researched  , did I mention I researched this gun ?  ;D
I realize it is a hog size pistol, like the Draggon sized weapons and won't be good for fast action shooting or anything , but I would want it to shoot anyway at something , not just hang on a wall .
What is your opiniions of this gun in this model ? I relaize the Cavalry model has some issues , but this model seams to be the best option for actually being a shooter and especially because the hammer spur for the underbarrel is actually easy to get to unlike the other two models available. Oh did I mention I am wanting Repro not real, I don't have $40,000.00 laying around, yet .  ;D
So, what do you think of this gun , anyone got one , and how do you like it for a shooter ?
I need one for my collection anyways , but I don't want to spend near $1,000.00 with shipping for a pile of junk . They LOOK well made .
Also , you may direct me just to forget it and buy two 1851's and be done with it, but I have all that already , and really want to know if this gun is worth the $750 or so .

Thank you very muchly, Alabama

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: LeMat Navy opinions please
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »
There seems to be just one cure for you: get her quickly, shoot her, have fun with the pistol...and tell us how you like her.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
If I had one of those, I'd take it to a match and shoot it.  No worries about winning anything, but huge amounts of style points.

What kind of holster did they fit?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:33 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
If I had one of those, I'd take it to a match and shoot it.  No worries about winning anything, but huge amounts of style points.

What kind of holster did they fit?

DD-DLoS

A big, oddly shaped one.  ::)

Alla-bammie - I can only add this:  an NCOWS pard, "Yuma City Kid" had one of these LeMats (not 36 cal) for sale at one of the NCOWS National Conventions I was able to attend.  I commented how cool I thought they were and how much I wouldn't mind having one.

His comment was something like "Yeah - me too" .... right up to the point in time where he actually got one.  It seems that the gun may be a cooler IDEA than it actually is in real life.  He DID mention that the Pietta version (the ONLY one) is VERY well made and attractive.

So - I can't say for sure, but this is second-hand from one who actually owned and shot one of these LeMats ... for a while.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »
Hmmmmmm , Lots of food for thought guys, thanks .
I think I am getting it anyway , I actually need it for the collection and that is important to me too , not just shooting it . Although I will defiantely shoot it up . A gun not shot is worthless . I have several that are not fired , but only because I just haven't gotten to them yet. . Time man time, I need more time . Less work more time, same old sad story ..  ;D
Dixie makes a holster for it, but am sure a custom one would look and fit nicer .
I swear that gun borders on being so ugly its beautiful too ? Or is that its so beautifull its ugly too ??? Take your pic, you either love them or hate them or are confused if you really like them or not  ???
They are very cool though , and defiantely are a Huge part of the Confederacy which I am loyal to forever .

Thanks again, good input from all three of ya, Sincerely, Alabama

Alabama

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »
Ok guys ,
I am ordering this bad boy , should be here next tuesday at the latest they tell me  ;D
Cannot believe I am actually doing this , and actually going to owne one finally ?????? For awhile right , like Steel Horses Pardner !
I will keep it anyway just for the collection anyway . Its a " must " for the Civil war collector anyway , especially the Southern collectors . Oh I own lots of Yankee guns too , don't get me wrong , I am traitor that way .  ;D Heck most guns were made in the North anyway .
Will post some pictures as soon as it gets here , I promise . Will try some Bi-Pod exposures to get some better quality pics going here with this darn camera I suck at taking pics with obviously .

PS... I have those Zebra Wood grips for the 1851 London done finally, they are in CURE mode for a day or two still , then will post some good pics . I dry fitted them prior to my last coat to check them out, OH MY GOD !!!!! Very "  buzy " looking, very exotic , very cool . You'll love this gun or really hate it when you see it. Looks like Wild Bill Hickock met up with Jimi Hendrix and desinged a cool gun !!!!  ;D I like it, its very uniquely me for sure ... ;D :o :o :o :o
Will have some pics of it by this weekend or this weekend , promise , its worth a look see for sure .

Good day to yall, need to get to work to buy more guns,and feed my Iron horses , later Cow pokies and Cowgirl pokettes too  ;D

Alabama

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
I've been thinking about getting one of the cavalry models.  If Jeb Stuart had one, why can't I?  I had a cousin who was in the 13th Virginia Cavalry and was a 1st Leutenant.  It is possible he could have had one too.

Ransom(I'm A Good Old Rebel) Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:49:52 AM »
Ransom Gaer ,
Now that's just good old Southern reasoning you gots there , makes perfect sence that you should have one too  ;D

Alabama

PS....Ransom Gear, they also make Spur Trigger guards for the Navy and Army models too , so you can have the same Cavalry look with a better barrel pin lock rather than the not so good lever that can disengage upon recoil of the Cavalry model that people gripe about so much . Taylors has them and am sure VTI would too . I ordered one for my new Navy already . I really like the looks of the Spur style gurad and it may just make it easier to hold too , but if not, then it will look cooler at least  ;D Plus you'd have the easier to get to underbarrel hammer flip down spur style hammer of the Navy too if you gots a Navy model , plus the better latch for the barrel , seams a no brainer for $40 more to buy a Navy and Modify it . Plus you can get Lanyard rings for the Army and Navy too, but I don't really want that on mine since I don't plan on climbing the Mast of a wooden ship anytime soon and am sure not to drop it while riding on my Iron Horses either !!!  ;D
Of course it wouldn't be original anymore , but neither is an Italian made Le Mat gun to start with !!!  :o :o :o Techinically it should be Brittish made I guess , but the Italians do a fine job , after lunch and a good nap  ;D Just kidding, I think some of the Italian guns are as good or better than we put out for sure . I find the more you spend the better the gun as a rule and this one Le Mat better not make me a lier !!! I know $800 aint allot for a fine firearm but its ALLOT to me and allot of very hard work that I had to do for it too . It better be right, or I may throw a fit  ;D

I ordered mine , but hastilly got back to them and got express next day shipping instead of the original ground UPS , just can't wait on this one, the extra $50 is worth it to me to hold this Southern Bell of a revolver Friday !!!! 
Wow , to walk in the shadow of Jeb and Beauregarde and carry the same peice they did is kinda cool .  ;D  I think I am doing my Heritage right here , and it should be a fine Southern carried revolver for the collection too . Now to get that darn Leech and Rigdon by golly too  ;D

Alabama

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Fer Alabama...

I ordered mine , but hastilly got back to them and got express next day shipping instead of the original ground UPS , just can't wait on this one, the extra $50 is worth it to me to hold this Southern Bell of a revolver Friday !!!! 
Wow , to walk in the shadow of Jeb and Beauregarde and carry the same peice they did is kinda cool .    I think I am doing my Heritage right here , and it should be a fine Southern carried revolver for the collection too . Now to get that darn Leech and Rigdon by golly too

Looks like ya gotta feedin frenzy goin here!! :o

Paladin (Whats jest funnin  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
Alabama,

I'll have to consider that spur guard and such iffn I actually get a Le Mat. 

I had kin serve under Beauregard too.

You really do need to get that Leech and Rigdon too.  Mine is really cool.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:36 PM »
Mo Food !!!! Mo food I say ... ;D
Yes Paladin UK , but I am always like this  :o
Work work work, spend spend spend .
That is the only way I know of to actually get what you want .
Unfortuantley or fortunately my Fiance' is the same way , and now she is stuck on the Richard Masons with ferver, so she is having her owne feeding frenzy too .  ;D And she wants a new Kimber .45 too on top of that all  :P Never ends around here . At least she's got good taste .

Am sure to get one of them there fine looking Leech and Rigdons there Ransom Gaer , just a matter of actually doing it , like everything else I touch .  ;D Where there is a will , there is a way .

Alabama

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
Fer Alabama.....

Work work work, spend spend spend .
That is the only way I know of to actually get what you want .

Only way ta go pard!! ;D

Paladin (What aint got unuf smokepoles neither!!  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Alabama

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
Yup yup Paladin UK ,
you obviously know what I am talking about  ;D

See in how were on the subject Paladin UK , and we both have those cool 1873 Peacemakers in BP, I thought I woudl tell ya I just ordered the new Pietta 1873 this afternoon with steel backstrap and trigger guard . I just had to check it out  ;D Heck , for $375 and second day air $$50 ( Tuesday ) we'll see soon enough if Pietta has really stepped up to the plate or not  ;D
I loved the looks of yours so much with that short barrel going on I ordered the 5-1/2" model . Just looks awsome , but then again "ALL" Peacemakers look awsome BP or not BP  ;D

Sincerely, Alabama

Alabama

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
Ransom Gaer ,
if you were sitting here with me and had this Le Mat in your hands like I do , you'd be saving your pennies for one. It is very nice indeed . I wouldn't hesitate to buy another or recomend it either , but then again I have yet to shoot it either ? Fit and finish is superb though , the best Pietta work I have ever seen , Rifle or Pistol . Easilly worth the $800 and then some , especially because of the Southern heritage attatched to the arm . Very nice very nice indeed . Will post some pics here soon on the Darksiders guns topic . What grabbed me is how smooth the indexing and cylinder roll is . Absolutely glass smooth , and a crisp trigger pull , at
4 and 1/16 lbs on my scale . Nice !!!! Very happy with the quality and its nice to have in the collection , FINALLY  ;D

Alabama

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
Hi Alabama,

Sounds like your LeMat is really nice.  One question, how's the trigger pull.  Any gun I buy is a shooter first to me and it would be nice if it had a decent trigger pull.

The other problem for me is the other guns I need to get.  A local gun shop has an 1872 Open Top in .44 Colt and I want it BAD.  I am also looking for an Allin conversion trapdoor, preferably a carbine in .50-70 and a second Leech and Rigdon.

Oh Yeah, I also need to get my new uniform for Turner's Battery.  It is a nice Tuscaloosa gray uniform with red collar and cuffs.  Of course the gun is a little bigger.  We are going to the Chickamauga reenactment in September and I think we are taking one of the 12 pounders.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Alabama

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 07:09:59 PM »
Awsome , sounds like fun Ransom Gaer , a 12 pounder , yes Sir !!! Even if I was on the wrong side " The North " I would sallute that bad boy anyway  ;D
You know, I totally understand the wants and the priority wants . No doubt about it !  ;D
There are the I really want that weapon wants , and then there is the I really want the one I just saw too wants . Both are tough  ;D I guess as long as you always want something new , then you have goals .  ;D
You better put some money down on that 1872 though !!!!!  ;D Oh I bet you already have  ;D

As noted the trigger pull is superb on my Le Mat, but I think I probably just got lucky . I took her apart firs thing, wish I ahd isntrucuions , but I figure dit out. The side plate is a drag, but I was able to make a spanner wrench out of my square tip ring pullers for the job . I will need to make a carrect wrench though for future. Anyway, I lubed the guts real good and it onyl got smoother so I think after a few hundred rounds its really gonna chime in . The poundage on the mainspring is good and heavy , like my Spiller and Burr , and popped all the caps easilly I test cap fired , and the shotgun barrel blew just fine first try with a cap unloaded barrel . Cool ... ;D

Alabama

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »
Mornin' Alabama,

Congrats on your LeMat purchase!  I felt the same way after seeing a Spencer Carbine at a CW encampment.  It took a year but I got one.  I know it annoys some folks when I shoot it, but it SURE has style.  I have always thought the coolest thing to shoot would be the LeMat on sequential pistol targets!!  Ten rounds in one handgun!  That is awesome!  I believe people will applaud, especially after you index the the hammer for that shotgun blast!   Please keep us posted on how it shoots.

Happy Trails,

Panhead Pete

Alabama

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »
Morning panhead pete ,
thanks , and Spencers are very sweet too , haven't gotten there yet , someday I hope .
Why would a Spencer annoy someone at a match , because its awsome ? Or the firepower ?
Hmmm , interesting concept there . People are too serious . Some people .
I am fortunate to not have real heavy bills right now , and lots of good work , so I am able to buy some revolvers and such . Problem is , I want all of them  ;D

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »
Panhead Pete,

Spencer's are cool, for a Yankee rifle or carbine. ;D  That's another one I've thought about getting.  In .56-50 of course.

I've seen a few used in matches.  Lots of style points with them.  Never seen anyone annoyed by them.  Biggest problem I see with them for a match is reloading two rounds at least on the clock.  For a match gun I don't want to deal with that.  My 1860 Henry is slow enough.

Alabama, On the 1872 I can for the moment hold off putting anything down on it.  I don't think the demand for it is very high and right now Chickamauga is my first priority.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Alp Arslan

• Citizen
  • I like shiny metal things
    • MARTYRS
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
I have a Navy Model LeMat and it had been my carry weapon for almost 7 years. Never let me down one bit.

I am going to have a conversion cylinder made for it in .380 ACP  :)
MARTYRS
http://unnamed-heroes.com
Every man has something that he is willing to fight to the death for. What about YOU? What would you do to protect someone or some place that you love and cherish?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com