Author Topic: Cylinder Loading Stand  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cylinder Loading Stand
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get one of the Cylinder loading stands like Powder Inc. Used to sell? They had the nice ones that were fully adjustable.

Thanks!!

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Cylinder Loading Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Dick Dastardly is supposed to start making new ones.  http://www.biglube.com/

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
The rumor is true.  I've been working with a local manufacturer to develop a new loading stand based roughly on the design of the original that was sold by myself and Powder Inc.

It has come to my attention that there were some built in problems with the original stands.  We are working to engineer out the problems rather than fix them.  I've ordered a prototype and it cost me way more than anybody would be willing to pay for a loading stand.  We will test it to destruction if we can and see what breaks.

Once we have a working design I have to order them in batches of a Hundred minimum.  That's too much of my 401K to risk on a faulty design.  So, stand by for developments as they happen.  I won't be taking orders for the stands until we have wrung it out as best we can.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:25:06 PM »

Offline fatelvis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:04:53 PM »
I want one!

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
I've got a lot of pards that want one.  I want to deliver one that will really work and still not break the bank.  Thanks to Larsen Pettifogger I've got a couple new wrinkles to work into the design.  His ideas have merit.

Thanks Larsen.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »
I've got a lot of pards that want one.  I want to deliver one that will really work and still not break the bank.  Thanks to Larsen Pettifogger I've got a couple new wrinkles to work into the design.  His ideas have merit.

Thanks Larsen.

DD-DLoS

There goes my birthday wish... I just told my wife I wanted one of your loading arbors a couple of weeks ago.  I even looked it up on your site to get the price.

I hope you get it worked out soon,  I really want one.  I already remove my cylinders between every stage to clean and charge them with powder and a wad before putting them back on to seat the ball.  I would rather load them off of the pistol to limit the wear and tear on the loading lever and allow me to clean the cut lead ring before reassembly.

I have found if I disassemble after every stage, remove any cap debris, clean the cones with a brush, remove any fouling at the cylinder pin and wipe everything down I can run a match with no more trouble than someone shooting Frontier Cartridge.   I’ve gotten it down to a choreographed routine much like a pit crew changing tires.  I can do all of this while manning the unloading table and performing the duties of the Unloading Table Officer for the Posse.  The loading arbor would be even better because it is my responsibility to stop my routine and give my full attention to the shooter when they are unloading.  Visual verification of powder charge, seated wad and then the seated projectile would be as fool proof as you can get.

If you need any design work done or drawings created to expedite the process I’ll be glad to help.   I have many years of experience getting things manufactured and can do detailing in my sleep.     No catch, I just want to be able to order one.  Seriously, email me if you could use any help.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Deadguy

• Top Active Citizen
    • BP Stuff, LLC
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
I've been looking for these for quite a while.  I hope they go into production soon!
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get one of the Cylinder loading stands like Powder Inc. Used to sell? They had the nice ones that were fully adjustable.

Thanks!!

-Ed
don't know how nice but I saw a couple on eBay 36 and 44 cal.
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
I'm meeting with the engineer this Thursday for the final drawing dimensioning.  Prototype to follow.  Thanks to Larsen the design is improved.

It's still a way off, but I will have stands to sell and they will work.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »
I`ve had one of the cylinder loading stands like Dick use to sell for years ..only problem I`ve ever had with the design is one of the pins at a pivot point sheared off like a shear pin (the one at the top of the handle post ) ..maybe it was suppose to be a weak link I don`t know ..I found a cotter pin that fit the hole and installed it instead of another roll pin ..and it`s been working fine that way for the last 3 years . Maybe beefing up this link would be a good idea . I never have changed the adjustments on mine ..I have it set to load 44 Remington 1858`s ...and have always kept it that way ..and it`s never gotten out of the adjustment. Stainless steel would be a plus ...mine started rusting , I have to keep it oiled .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com