Author Topic: Best brand of dies in 45-60 WCF? Want advice!  (Read 696 times)

Offline Appaloosa1876

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Best brand of dies in 45-60 WCF? Want advice!
« on: March 13, 2023, 07:52:06 PM »
Hello my new friends. Looking to purchase some 45-60 dies for my new Tom Horn in 45-60..

I have come across a brand I have never heard of before.. CH4D... I found some 45-60 does for a good deal.. I've never heard of these guys, also is there a best brand specifically for this round? I also just purchased a gunbroker action for 45-75 dies from Buffalo arms and I can either get Buffalo arms or CH4D..

I know with some companies with certain calibers have a better reputation and your thoughts appreciated. I'm taking a reloading class in May.. I've never reloaded but am excellent at matching components.. I use to do the research on match components and my friend did the reloading, lost him a few yrs back and need to pick up the actual reloading skill now.

Thanks in advance. I'm curious to learn why people pick one brand of does over another..

Appaloosa1876

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Best brand of dies in 45-60 WCF? Want advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Well I will offer up my humble experience with different brands of dies with the caveat that your mileage may vary.

I have an old, old set of CH dies for my .220 swift.  These were purchased by my Dad as part of the package when he bought the rifle new decades ago.  The dies have performed great over the years and look no worse for wear today after all the years of use.  I don't know about the current offerings from CH4D but if they are like the old ones I have would buy them without any hesitation.

Brands of dies are like any other product, folks have likes and dislikes.  I am no exception I suppose as I have more RCBS brand than anything else.  Having said that there is a little bit of everything on my shelf of dies.  I have found RCBS to be reliable high quality product over the years and I tend to come back to this brand.  Why?  Kinda like a comfy pair of boots, they just fit.  Having praised the RCBS brand I wouldn't trade my old CH, they have worked with no problems.  To muddy the waters a little more all my reloading is done on an equally old Lyman spartan press that was again purchased by my Dad brand new years ago.  I have never had a need or desire to replace it even after trying other brands friends and relatives have had.

Well reading this response I do believe it is of NO help at all!!  Just remember refilling cartridges is almost as much fun as emptying them at the range!!  Best wishes in your travels learning reloading!!

P.B.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 10:35:06 AM »
I have RCBS dies for my 45 60. I have a set of CH4D dies for my 40 82. Both work great.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:12 AM »

Offline Appaloosa1876

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 12:17:11 AM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I have not seemed to find anything about about these CH4D guys, see a set in 45-60 for a good deal, I'll pick them up thanks!

I can't wait to get all set up and find my pet load for this gun.

Appaloosa1876

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com