Author Topic: APP Powder???  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Cheyenne Logan

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5269
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
APP Powder???
« on: July 31, 2022, 08:50:38 PM »
Is APP  , American Pioneer Powder still in business?   Can't find any anywhere and their website is dated 2009........they list dealers, but none in San Antonio......Graf's has Shooter World listed, out of stock, and it seems this is made by APP?  All I can find is Pyrodex & 777...... can't find a shop that carries BP local either.....and let's not even get into percussion caps......

Sorry, kind of a rant, but is APP still around? ;D

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
Re: APP Powder???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 10:29:40 PM »
I just bought some from Len Abels @ Red River Trade Company in Earlham IA this spring. He didn't say anything about it being discontinued.

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 10:46:39 PM »
APP is alive and well, and seems to be the propellant of choice for a lot of shooters in the smokey categories.  I use it sometimes but prefer real BP.  It bugs me (just slightly) when people say they shoot BP but they are shooting subs.  They are shooting in BP Category, yes, but not BP.  ;D

Almost no gun shops, or big box stores, sell APP.  You have to order it, and I'm not sure if you can order less than a case.  Cases are 12 lbs I believe.  Shooter's World Multi-Black is same thing, made by APP.  Natchez has been carrying it recently, sold by the pound (though currently out of stock).  So last time I ordered primers from them ($ouch$) I added some smokeless powder and 5 lbs of Multi-Black to spread out the hazmat and shipping costs.

added: I think the APP guy pretty much always has it in stock.
also added: if you get it, get 3F as 2F is rather chunky and doesn't meter well through powder measures.  Also, used to be APP was really dusty, but I hear the newer stuff is much better.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:53 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 07:28:58 AM »

:)  Cheyenne  ;)

Peddling right along with Abilene, APP is indeed alive and well and available.  One of the primary movers and shakers of APP is SCARLETT at Bullets by Scarlett.  I personally shoot tons of APP and am obviously quite happy with it.

Old formulations of APP were quite dusty and Abilene has been using a really old jug.  The new formulations are quite nice.  Shooters World Multi Black is also manufactured by APP and loads, shoots and cleans up same same.

Give Bullets by Scarlett a shout and you will be in business.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 09:14:40 AM »
Shockey’s Gold is also still offered by APP, to my knowledge.

Black MZ made by American Pioneer Powder and distributed by Alliant Powder was discontinued however.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »
Red River Trade is my source for APP, as I see him regularly at NCOWS functions like the Convention.

ABELS, LEONARD G
RED RIVER TRADE
1491 120TH ST, EARLHAM, IA 50072
(515) 758-2589

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 07:28:19 AM »

Black MZ has been reincarnated as Shooters World Multi Black.  Same stuff, different name.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com