Author Topic: new to shotshell reloading - Primer question  (Read 796 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new to shotshell reloading - Primer question
« on: February 08, 2022, 11:24:19 PM »
I reload for all my sixguns and rifles, but never done shot shells. My plan is to use Win AA shells, waa12sl wads, Amer. Select powder, but primers are an open question. Handbooks say use win 209 primers and caution against other primers. I'm worried that I will have trouble finding Win 209's. Does any one have experience switching primers. Is it definitely a problem? I have plenty of powder. Thoughts? This is all new to me.

Rev. Chase

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: new to shotshell reloading - Primer question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:45:08 AM »
Howdy Rev.  Can I assume these are for CAS?  In which case you are at the bottom of the charts, and most folks may have a favorite primer but will use whatever they have to.  But I don't know specifically about Amer. Select so can't say.

I just loaded up a box of smokeless shotshells for the first time in probably 15 years last week.  I just finished off my stash of AA LNLR at $8 a box at Wally World.  Those days are long gone.  I have some more that with postage cost $20 per box. Ouch.  So back to reloading them.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 06:20:11 AM »
@ Reverend:  I don't think You will be able to notice a difference between the various brands of 209 primers.
What is important with smokeless loads is a positive crimp.  Whether star-crimp or roll-crimp.
A weak crimp will make Your cartridges go "wooOSh" instead of "BANG".
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:27 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 09:19:00 AM »

:)  Well Hi Boys and Girls  ;)

Word on the street, Ballistic Products has Cheddite 209 primers on the shelf.  A quick CAVEAT:  I don't personally load plastic shotgun hulls.  However, I doubt anyone would notice a difference between manufacturers of same same primers.  I have no earthly clue why any guidance would specify a specific brand of primer.  Dumb.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »
Stick with WW AA hulls but Claybuster wads are just as good and might be cheaper. I’ve only ever used WW 209s so I can’t help you there.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 03:34:38 PM »
Different 209 primers have drastically different heat ranges.  That is why EVERY shotgun reloading site and manual list loads by PRIMER make.  Now the big savior for CAS shooting.  Most CAS shooters are shooting the very bottom of the charge recommendations and many are shooting below that.  Since the pressures are low at the bottom end of the recommended charges CAS shooters get away with using pretty much any shotgun primer.  IF anyone is loading towards the top end of the scale not following primer recommendations can lead to over pressure loads.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 09:37:34 AM »

:)  Pettifogger  ;)

Pettifogger:  Ah So Deska (Japanese for "No Sh$t GI).  Thank you for the information.  Not loading Plastic, nor not loading for anything except CAS does limit my shotgun knowledge.  I did at one time shoot a lot of Shotgun (Skeet) but all with factory ammunition.

Now . . . . Were you ask me about loading All Brass Magtech hulls with APP . . . . .

Play Safe Out There Boys and Girls.  People Are Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:14:01 PM »
Thanks all,

The advise is pretty much what I was expecting. Even so, I felt that the experience available here would be a firm grounding for my startup. Now all I have to do is try to find the components. No rush as I probably have enough ammo for the up coming season.

Rev. Chase

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com