Author Topic: Sharps carbines  (Read 996 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Sharps carbines
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »
How are the Sharps carbines--paper cartridge converted to 50-70 after the Late Unpleasantness--are they worth considering for GAF and similar matches, hunting, general plinking, etc?

I've been browsing Gunbroker on the search for a trapdoor and keep running across the converted Sharps.  I'm just not sure if they would be a viable option for what I want to do.

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Sharps carbines
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
Shot several GAF match's with one (50-70 repro).  Won a few, always competitive, had a lot of fun.  Got a new one on order from Shiloh.  Highly recommended.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:41:16 PM »
How was the poa poi with factory sights just curious? I have bad luck with carbines.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:08:18 AM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »
Mine was pretty much dead on once I put together a govt duplication load.  I did file the front sight down just a bit.  For hunting , well Mike Venturino killed a one ton Bison Bull with a single shot from a 50-70.

The Chiappa .50-70 carbines have a rather tall brass blade front sight, held on with two tiny roll pins.  Very flexible for load adjustment.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 11:59:12 AM »
Blackpowder Burn has been messing with an original conversion for several years, may be he will chime in.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:01:03 PM »
Most of the U.S. military rifles and carbines were sighted to hit a man on horseback, or the horse itself at about 325 yards. The result is that they will hit 12-15 inches high at 100 yds. The cartridge conversion Sharps carbines have a front sight blade that is pinned to the base, so the front sight can be replaced with a taller blade to bring the point of impact down.

While the M1869 Conversions (using 1858 and 1863 percussion carbines) are a relatively strong action, keep in mind that they are 164 years old. Even one with a nearly pristine barrel (and they seldom are) could have intergranular corrosion somewhere in the metal. I had one that had some historical provinance that I used to shoot, but have retired it out of respect to its history.

My suggestion would be to buy one of the modern reproductions in .45-70 or, if available, .50-70.
Safe shooting! Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 07:47:53 PM »
Years ago, I had a Cimarron "Texas Ranger" 50-70 Sharps carbine for a 2005 Cowboy Chronicle article.  It was a great shooter. 450 grain lead SPG lubed bullet over about 67 grains (volume) of FFG Triple 7, was dead nuts on with the battle sight at 60 yards.  I really hated to give it back, but times were tight!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 09:11:19 PM »
I've used an original to shoot a couple of local matches, and it was a lot of fun.  Trapdoors are faster to use, if that matters to you.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  I tend to prefer guns such as were used on the frontier here in Nebraska, so I've spent a lot of time with trapdoors.  The Sharps conversions were here, but I never seem to run across one with potential as a shooter.  Seeing so many on Gunbroker turned my head! 

I hadn't thought about the trapdoor being faster to shoot.  Good point!  For me at least, I can fire/reload/aim/fire a trapdoor faster than any of the other military single shots I've played with.  On the bright side, even a Sharps is faster than some people's Spencers.....

I'm probably roadtripping tomorrow AM to do some shopping; if no luck I might go crazy and get one of the conversions.  (Part of me would still rather have a '66 trapdoor sporter, but no luck finding a good candidate for that so far. )

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 08:43:02 PM »
Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com