Author Topic: Bolt action milspec rifles at a CAS match in eastern NC--what in the #*!!  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Guys, my CAS/WASA club is very unique in that we do a variety of things over the course of a years monthly matches, Wild Bunch, double action revolvers, Josie Wales, 2 inch snubnose (as a main match pistol) and we use SASS/WASA rules. I suggested earlier this year that we try a military boltgun option for a match. Of course, cowboys will shoot their cowboy rifles but the others will use pre WW1 bolt guns. Lead bullets of course with only 6 rds per stage and will engage their own farther targets. I plan to shoot my Philippine Constabulary Krag, a pair of .38 Colt DAs and wear my Span Am uniform. It may not be new to you GAF members but it will be new to us. Should be a good time. I will post pictures.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Sound to me a brilliant & forward thinking club.... one I'd be proud to visit  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sounds like a good start! We do that at my local club (when I can get away to a match!). What we do is usually- longer range targets for the rifles, repeaters shoot same number of rounds as the cowboys, single shots shoot half as many. One handgun, reload on the clock. No shotgun.

Advertising

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

I was good to get out there for this shoot seeing it was only a day trip and it was a great time! Real good people at this club. They had quite a few girls out there too-and they all could shoot well too!

It seems Baltimore Ed instigated the whole thing with the bolt action rifles and there was quite a turnout! Some of the rifles seen were:

Swiss Vertelli
MAS 1936
Mosin Nagant
Enfield No. 2A 7.62
M1903A3
No. 4 Enfield
3 Krags
3 M1898 Mausers

So yes, this was a good shoot with very cool people. Many thanks to Ed and the whole crew for doing such a fine job making this happen! :D

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Great to see.  This is how you get things started.  I shot with these folks back in my USN days, wonderful outfit.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

I shot with these folks back in my USN days

I thought I was hearing things when I heard one of them say "The  Missouruh Skeeter Killer"!  :D

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Yep, that was me.  I was the lone Black Powder shooter for a few years, hence the name!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

I like black powder quite a bit too, but I guess most people don't like the mess that requires water cleanup and the extra drag it creates by gumming up the moving parts. I believe the Vertelli was fired with black powder. I only shot 4 strings with my 3f stoked .44 DA Russian because that was all the ammo I had for it.

Shot all one handed DA with both the S&W and the New Service and had plenty of misses for my trouble, but it sure was fun! :D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
We had a good shoot, I really enjoyed shooting my Constabulary Krag. First time I've shot a bolt action in a march. We had 19 shooters, thats a lot for us. I think there was 7 of us with bolt guns. I hope that Charles and Mark come back and shoot with us again. Try as I might I can't get any of my photos to upload.. I don't have a photo posting problem with the other forums that I post on. We do have a very good bunch of cowboys and cowgirls, everyone helps out and we have a lot of fun. I used to be more active in creating the shoots. We've shot my version of The Wizard of Oz and The Inglorious Bastards as cowboy shoots in the past. Fun stuff.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Oh yes, we do plan to be there for more. This is a wonderful celebration of American freedom! The only CAS/WASA revolver Mark has left from his CAS days is that huge Vaquaro Bisley along with a Rossi rabitt eared double 12 and a Marlin '94 .45 (long :)) Colt. Looking forward also to some "Wild Bunch" type shooting with Model 12s and 1911s!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com