Author Topic: The 1884 Fatigue Uniform: Easy, Comfortable, inexpensive.  (Read 66451 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 1884 Fatigue Uniform: Easy, Comfortable, inexpensive.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
On the topic of boots, could I substitute brown for black? I need a good pair of boots for my wedding, and if I can kill two birds with one stone...
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
Dark brown would be fine to shoot in.  But really, I'd get a nice pair of brown ones, then find some black shoes at a thrift store, or ebay.  You want something that can get scuffed and beat up.  I use an old set of USN Boondockers I picked up for $20, with gel insoles.

I suspect you're thinking of stovepipe/cowboy boots.  But by this time the Army had pretty much quit issuing those, finding ankle boots/shoes and Leggings cheaper/more comfortable/easier to maintain.  You may already have a set of black leather shoes in your closet that would work just fine.

Just an example:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnston-Murphy-XC4-Ashmont-Black-Leather-Ankle-Boot-Mens-11-M-20-6295-165-/151732138388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2353f0b194
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:48:05 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
Actually, I was thinking those River Junction boots that got posted earlier. But the eBay route looks like it'll be a good one. Thanks for the idea!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
The problem w/ this is the fact that the Fatigue Uniform was Worn of the Top of ones Regulation Uniform of the Day while performing Fatigue Duty, for Enlisted Personnel, so that one would not get ones Uniform Dirty.
So one Can Not wear the Fatigue Uniform unless it is Worn over one Regulation Uniform while one is performing Fatigue Duty. For Cavalry Troopers, that would be Mucking Out Stalls, Grooming Horses, Cleaning Horse Furniture, etc., which means one would Not be Under Arms.
The shops that have this particular Uniform For sale have Not bothered to read Uniform Regulation Manual. So are Selling this Uniform as something it was never meant to be worn as. They are only in it to make money & do not care one wot for the Historical aspect that is was actually meant to be used for.
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
That was the original idea, but it's very well documented, both in words and photographs, that the troops soon wore the fatigue uniform in the field.  They also wore quite a few civilian clothes in the field to save their uniforms for garrison wear.  Field duty in the west seemed to be a lot harder on uniforms (especially the desert) than field duty in the east was.

Drydock and Pitsptr will be of more help on this, but I believe the 1884 uniform WAS meant to be worn as a field uniform.  As usual, the Army was trying to catch up with what the troops were already doing in the field with the stable frock, etc.  It parallels issuing the cartridge belt after the troops were using home made ones instead of the cartridge boxes they were issued.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »
Flashy, your a pip, good to hear from you!  By mid 1885 troops were wearing it in the field, in particular the Southwest against the Apache.  This is why Leonard Wood specified the 1884 for the 1st USV  for field wear.  There are several photos of troops in Tampa 1898 wearing them, or just the trousers with the blue campaign shirt.  I even have some Edison Video of regular troops marching to transports, wearing 1884s.  Its hard to tell, but as the trousers and tunics appear the same shade, and the leggings the same shade as well, I believe this to be the case, as the Brown duck 1884s were the only outfit that matched the leggings.  What we do not have is studio photos of this, as troops wanted to be seen in their more stylish "BLues".

I also have a photo of regulars in front of a damaged spanish fortification in the Phillipines, wearing 1884 trousers and blue shirts, rifles in hand.

In any case, we have much documented photos and footage of the 1st USV, Including Theodore Roosevelts letters to his Harvard chums, advising them to get 1884s to match the troops, as the Khakis would never be ready in time.

I believe the 1884 was the most common field uniform in Cuba in 1898, but not often pictured, as the New York Press wanted photo's of the 71st NY, a NG unit forced to the front by their Senator, wearing the blue wool uniform.  But the Regular army was not as dumb as we like to think: why wouldn't they use the most readily available  tropical weight uniform, one that every regular soldier already had in his kit?

Vol 1, Chapter 5 of Douglas McChristians "Uniforms, Arms and Equipment, 1880-1892" Spends quite a bit of time on the 1884 Fatigues, and it becomes quite clear that the men liked it, and that local officers quickly sent it into the field.  It also becomes quite clear that this was NOT intended to be worn over the existing wool uniform, but was to be worn "Similiar to the working clothes worn by the miners in the Western states and territories"  This is a quote of Quartermaster General Samuel Holabird, the originator of the 1884.

The 1884 was authorized by General order No 32, April 16 1884.  It was stipulated that the garments were to be worn on all work and fatigue details EXCEPT Stable duty, to preserve the Wool uniform.  The older White Stable Frock was still to be issued to Cavalrymen for that.  THAT would be the garment worn over the existing uniform, including the 1884!  Officers were also authorized to draw this canvas clothing as well!  Many officers interpreted the above order to include field duty as well, saving the wool for dress occasions.

Online pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »
I have read somewhere on the net, a journal of a Volunteer unit from Missouri, in Cuba. After most of the fighting was over, as they were occupying the country, he mentions them doing marching drill, with all the volunteers in their blue wool, while the regulars were in tan uniforms. However, he didn't specify if it was tan 1884, or the later ones. He also mentioned being very glad to receive a "care package" from home, containing a pair of shoes, as his issue ones were falling apart and no replacements were to be had.

Offline Dyess Scout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
question about the 1884 fatigue uniform

What units besides the 1st USV Cavalry wore the fatigue blouse as a combat uniform?

Did the Regulars wear it or was it more of the Volunteers who wore it in the field?

I ask because I'm thinking about picking up Quatermaster Depot's 1884 pants and blouse along with a campaign hat, blue cotton shirt, and shoes from River Junction

What Price Glory also sells 1897 leggings

I did some research and found out that a unit from my home county, H Co 4th PA Volunteers, was part of the Porto Rico campaign.

My goal is to wear this uniform for cowboy action shooting

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
You might want to consider the blue shirt from WPG instead. It's more period correct, light weight wool is actually cooler in many cases and you won't find yourself wishing you'd bought better quality later on.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
I would suggest asking your State Historical Society if they have any pictures of Pennsylvania units during the Span-Am war.  (I'm betting they do.)  Those would give you a great idea of what uniform items to get.  Pitsptr is right, you want to get pretty good quality from the start.  It's usually not much more expensive, and you won't later wish you'd have bought better or more authentic stuff.  Wool shirts aren't hard to wash either, which was an early concern for me.  Woolite and cold water wash work well, and hang to dry.  Wool irons well, too.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
And I forgot to mention good wool isn't itchy like we think wool is. Good wool is actually soft.

Offline Dyess Scout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
thanks for the info, I might just go that route

I was already planning on buying the 1897 leggings from them anyway

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Sir
All wool is good wool......

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
True...but some is better than others  ::)

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
The 1884 fatigue uniform was mostly worn by regulars in Cuba.  All regular troops were issued the 1884.  The State units did not have it in their kits, and the Volunteers did not receive it until the fighting was nearly over.  The exception being the 1st USV (Roughriders) for whom Col. Leonard Wood made sure they got it.  I have Edison footage of regular troops boarding transports in Tampa, wearing 1884 fatigues.

By 1899 it would be issued to all units in the Phillipines,  where it would see heavy use alongside the 1899 Khaki's.  It would continue in issue to all regular units until 1911, when it was replaced by a blue jean fatigue uniform.  (This new outfit was universally detested by all ranks, and thus rarely worn in the field)

Offline Dyess Scout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
does anybody have any experience with the 1884 fatigue trousers and blouse sold by Quartermaster Depot?

This any good or should I just go with the one made by Quartermaster Co instead?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
I do not; however, I have purchased a couple of pairs of trousers from them.

What I can say is that their quality (on the products I've purchased anyway) is quite good. The only warning I'd make is to place your order over the phone instead of online. I've had some difficulty getting the order right online, while it has been perfect when I made the order over the phone.

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »
Sportsmans Guide is selling a canvas field coat and cotton trousers in British Khaki.....Looks brown like the 1884 fatiques...For unde $50 for both..
Does a 45-70 belt work to hold 30-40?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
Yes, and was often used as such.

As for the SG clothing, the color is close, but the details/pockets/styling would be all wrong.  That being said, SG is one of my favorite clothiers, and I have a lot of the British Khaki stuff for work and motorcycle riding!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com